looking for a hitch for a cross country move

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Dusty rug, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Dusty rug

Dusty rug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    im going to be moving 1500 miles away from where i am now and im wondering what class of hitch i would need, im moving about 400 to 500 pounds worth of stuff with me. ive been looking at u hual but im not that educated about this subject. maybe i would also tow a small camper after the move too.

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have this one on my 2012 Prius v. Installation was easy with no panel removal.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/Prius+v/2014/24847.html?VehicleID=20141140044

I used this ball mount with the hitch.

TowSmart 3,500 lb. 2-1/2 in. Drop, 2 in. Rise, 3/4 in. Shank Class II X-Mount Reversible Trailer Hitch Ball Mount-700 - The Home Depot

The mount is a Class II, but it has concave sides. There is a small tab inside the hitch's 1-1/4 inch tube that prevents it from sliding in. I used a triangular file to file away part of the tab, and it now works perfectly. The drop is ideally suited for the Prius v and keeps the trailer level.

I didn't like all of those extra wiring and plugs, so I had my dad's friend install this one for me. He even posted a review of my installion of Amazon.

And, it works perfectly with my class 1 trailer.

#2 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  3. privilege

privilege Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the e trailer never arrived, so I bought the same hitch receiver from Amazon. it's a ten minute install (twenty if you're picky) and takes a minute to hook up a trailer.

found a 5x8 for 300$ and it pulls nice.

get yourself a couple of parking whips to go on the corners so you can see which way it's moving, the Prius hides everything. oh ya, and ditch the tail gate

4. Dusty rug

Dusty rug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    i am looking at the u haul class 1 hitch, my main concorn is will it be enough to move all of my stuff without worrying about a failer? im maining looking to tow a washer/dryer and a qween bed with box spring in a trailer. the route goes through the rocky mountains so im a little worried about this.

i am planning to install it my self but i have a deadline of 20 days to get it on so i dont trust some of those hitch sits since their arrival date is so close to move out time. there are trailer hitch store near me too.

5. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    UHAUL is another good source of hitches. Have you checked them/their website yet?

moto g(7) power ?

6. rjparker

rjparker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would read the caution in the manual

7. Dusty rug

Dusty rug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    i did see that in the manual say i have zero towing cap but i did see that other people have hauled trailers before and its far cheaper to install a hitch and rent a trailer then to rent a truck lol the total price for uhaul is about 230$ i mean the 300$ class 3 hitch is temping but sadly im trying to move on a budget lol

ill have to take it slow and easy on the speed and watch how much i push it during my trip. i orded a complete kit from uhaul so im hoping itll all go good

jzchen likes this.
  8. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @Dusty rug Have fluids changed with the good synthetic stuff for a layer of protection...

moto g(7) power ?

9. privilege

privilege Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    rent a moving van, stuff it tight, then pull the Prius in behind your stuff.

guys have been doing this with smaller cars forever.

pros:
    zero stress on your daily
    zero worries about "making it" over the mountains
    cool AC and plenty of power

cons:
    have you seen the mpg a uhaul can gets?
    have your seen fuel prices?
    moving always sucks

MVPLRJohnson likes this.
  10. Dusty rug

Dusty rug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    thanks guys, i dont have much to move, i think its about 350 pounds alltogether, i do my own oil and use fullsyth, i recently cleaned out my air intake and EGR, also installed a oil catch can, im even thinking about changing the fuel filter but im pretty sure thats in the tank so itll take me a while to for that lol thank god i drive a prius, takes 20$ for a full tank in denver, in LA where im moving too it might be 25-30$ im not looking forward to that!

ill post some updates based on my trip and install, might help others with these ideals

11. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you are moving to Los Angeles, you might want to install a cat shield, since catalytic converter theft is very high, there.

Also, the oil catch can might not pass the C.A.R.B. smog inspection, there.

12. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome. We're in the $4.xx range I'm afraid just an FYI...

moto g(7) power ?

13. Dusty rug

Dusty rug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    i cant believe we have to worry about our catalytic converters being cut off our cars ever since i heard about it ive been paranoid about leaving my car outside lol

the gasbuddy app is telling me costco is around 3.50$ around LA so thats not that bad, im not looking forward to all the extra taxes down there, if i didnt get free room/board down there i would never consider it

jzchen likes this.