1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a [mount on the hatchback with straps] bicycle rack that wont SCRATCH my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ski.dive, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm looking to purchase a [mount on the hatchback with straps] bicycle rack that will not scratch the paint by rubbing on the Prius when I put bikes on the rack.

`Thanks for any suggestions.

2. bikerwoe

bikerwoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased the trailer hitch, works much better, and there are lots of Prius with them installed, and a YouTube video will show you how to install it.

3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are looking for something that does not exist. Any rack that sits on the back will rub a bit. I'd second the recomendation for a hitch mounted rack.

kenoarto likes this.
  4. Lindsi

Lindsi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got a Thule rear mounted rack. The install says to clean the areas and everywhere the rack touches the vehicle there are rubber bumpers. No dirt/debris between the bumper and the vehicle and so far no scratches. Install would have been super easy with someone helping as I got the rack with the platform so it was kinda heavy, but I managed the install by myself without hurting anything. I'm obsessed with my car, and was very comfortable putting this rack on it. Also, the hooks that grab onto the edges of the hatch were definitely coated with something to keep them from doing damage, my only worry would be at some point in the distance future, that coating wearing out a bit, but if installed tightly, I'm not seeing how it really could.

(btw, I'm in sales for a truck accessory company, we sell Thule, lemme know if you are interested in any of their racks)

5. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Saris Bones 3. I bought it used 5 years ago on Craigslist for about $30 and use it once a week. I have had it on at least 10 different cars and have never scratched any of them or put any permanent marks on them. I remove it after every use and don't install it over dirt or dust. I have pictures posted in a different thread. There are many opinions on this but I think the most important thing is to install it properly on a clean car.

6. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seasucker anyone? :p

7. tucka20

tucka20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Im from the UK but this is from Halfords (local auto/cycle shop) and fits the bill perfectly. Cost £59.99 new but this was £20 so less than $15 US. No scratches other than when my handlebars spun around and hit beside the light casing and took the paint off.

[​IMG]

GT-N7100 ? 2

Attached Files:

8. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Saris Bones 3 from when I had my Corolla. It does work with the Prius... not the best fit imo though. Not sure if I'd take a long trip with 3 bikes on the Bones. Been considering a roof or hitch especially since I'd like to haul 4 bikes but that might be pushing it.

9. bikerwoe

bikerwoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What bike rack did you end up buying? If you check my aug 2011 post, I have pictures of the hitch in case your interested