1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a Prius mechanic in Brooklyn, NYC

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by amylesen, Apr 26, 2006.

1. amylesen

amylesen New Member

Does anyone out there know of an independent mechanic in Brooklyn, NY who knows how to work on and service the Prius ? I have been taking our 2001 Prius (with 80K mikes on it) to a local Toyota dealer for our regular service and maintenance but their prices are completely outrageous and I'm tired of getting ripped off. The one alternative I've found online is a place called Bay Diagnostic Repair Center, but I haven't gone there yet and don't know if they're reliable. Are there any others? Or does anyone have any experience with Bay Diagnostic? Thanks for your help.

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brooklyn_prius @ Apr 26 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]245753[/snapback]</div>
    Hey bk_prius! I'm from Brooklyn too! When you go to dealers for service, make sure just perform things stated in your maintenance book. Dealers tend to use their own service packages and overcharge for stuff you don't need.

I went to BayRidge Toyota for my 15k mile service. They had a coupon for $21.95 oil change, plus FREE 25-point inspection. If you compare the stuff in their 25-point inspection, that pretty much cover most of the inspections in the maintenance book. Then I go to a tire place to have my tire rotation for $10.

As for normal oil changes and tire rotation, I think any mechanic can do that. I change the oil myself if it's not too cold out. But I don't know about Day Diagnostic and don't know any indepedent mechanics.