1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a Prius.

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by ArtyV, Sep 7, 2018.

1. ArtyV

ArtyV New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi everyone, my sister is looking at getting a 2013 Prius v 3. While I know a decent amount about cars I don’t know much about hybrids so I’m looking for your advice and figd why not come right to the gurus! Unfortunately she’s pretty far from me to be able to go check it out and drive it for her, and also unfortunately, she’s in a rush into getting a car because her other just quit.

What are the common problems on these, and what should we be looking out for and checking on one with ~75k miles. Thank you for your time.

#1 ArtyV, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would have her pay a dealer to check it out. In general a 75k mile Prius has lots of life left but your in NY and rust is a thing plus who knows about the suspension, brakes and tires, much less the hybrid system without checking it out.

#2 rjparker, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what state is she in? different states have different hybrid battery warranties. either 8/100 or 10/150.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Typically the v is a great car in terms of reliability but there are always the exceptions and without knowing the history of the car, who knows, I'd suggest getting the current owner to go to the dealer they have used with the buyer and have the service advisor pull the service history in front of both. That reduces the asymmetry of information (buyer knows nothing, seller knows everything) that can occur when buying a used car. If it is a used car lot, then have it inspected.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the car has been serviced by Toyota dealer and if you know the VIN of the vehicle, you can see all of the service record of the vehicle by going Toyota Owners Official Web Site. Of course, if independent shop has been used, the record will not show up except major ones that will end up on CarFax.

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Get the VIN, plug it into the Toyota site, ask for a carfax, if it’s never had an accident or a major problem and visually it’s nice, they make great taxi’s.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The problem won't be past mechanicals, it's potentially current issues. Probably none but I would spend $100 if necessary to have a dealer do a complete check.