1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a used Gen 2 but I am finding lots of low mpgs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ChrisPR77, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @ChrisPR77 In answer to your question, I've had the car for 2 weeks thus far, and I live in the upper midwest. Cold temperatures + driving in rain & snow have a negative effect on fuel economy, and since I just got the car, I haven't become expert enough in driving technique to improve much in my first few hundred miles. Also a lot of bumper to bumper traffic jams in the week before Christmas didn't help.

My third fuel up (second Fuelly result) was 42.5 miles per gallon, giving me a current average of 41.3 on Fuelly. I expect since I just put that in today, the signature will update it tomorrow. And on a 50-mile drive after the gas station today, I averaged 50 MPG according to the display. The car had 47 MPG on the display when I bought it, although I reset it to reflect my own personal MPG and not the previous owner's.

2. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Something about the salvage cars @bisco. I don't know anything about them. I noticed some of the clear titles say uber lyft approved. So does that mean some or all salvage titles are not safe enough for uber/lyft? I will say this there are a ton of salvage prius in Los Angeles. In fact as many as clear titles. So we may read in how to buy used car books not to buy them. It is a big business and people are fixing and buying them like crazy. I am so sick at looking at under maintained and under performing prius that I was thinking out of the box for a minute that the cars might have actually been gone through but I don't think i am willing to buy a salvage vehicle.

3. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting story. I am aware we are getting less mpg in winter with the prius. I haven't even been able to find one for a test drive with a 47mpg trip. Also you are in the dead of winter getting close to the 45 +/- 3.. I think these 38-41s should probably be excluded here in Los Angeles.

#23 ChrisPR77, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a lot of russians rebuilding salvage prius, but i thought you were savvy enough to read between the lines. if not, i would stay away, could be a headache.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You can't get full coverage insurance on a salvage titled auto.

6. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    interesting facts. i didn't know. sounds like it takes some know how. you really should see how many salvaged gen 2s are on craigslist los Angeles.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're lucky if they tell you, a lot of people get scammed.

8. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did think you were being sarcastic but with there being hundreds of these salvage cars in Los Angeles that have been cleaned up super nice, I didn't want to be over looking something. Can't insure them or drive uber or lyft. some people might not be happy with the purchase they make on these.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    believe me, we have seen many who are not. imo, you generally get what you pay for. if something looks too good to be true, it generally is. but for the really savvy buyer, sometimes deals can be had. but it's few and far between.

10. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thats kind of where I am at with the whole process. I mean really a gen 2 with 100k miles for 5000$ sounds pretty good maybe even too good. when you go see them and they are under avg mpg performers its really hard to tell what will happen next. if i knew for sure a 500$ tune up was it then I would be on board. a buyer would obviously prefer to see this ahead of time or not have to deal with it all. That the prius owner would have been on fuelly and prius chat so that we don't have this conversation today.

I have decided today that I have no choice but to shorten my search criteria and find a clear title with around 100k miles. I am going to stop looking at cars that won't send me or post an mpg trip. Be patient and when the best car comes along that meets as many of these criteria we are talking about then take it to dealer for inspection.

really i am surprised to see so many prius junked out at 100k miles. They may not be completely junked but they just haven't been maintained or kept in spec the way they should have been. They are only 5000 right?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey, you're living in la la land. everything is an illusion.:cool:

12. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have only lived out here 1.5yrs and it has been a culture shock. I am honestly thinking about leaving. People out here can be a real pain in the nice person. They are some of the worst drivers in the country. However, due to the vastness of Los Angeles I feel like there is a possibility to find a good used car here. Unfortunately for reasons we have discussed there is also a higher chance of getting a real bad car here.

13. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so check this out just called on an 06 touring prius. tried to price the vehicle and found out touring prius was only 07-09. these used craigslist prius in Los Angeles is out of control.

14. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think someone mentioned this, but if someone's trying to sell a car they might not driving it much except for short test drives. That will sink a Prius's MPG quickly.

Does the gen 2 have a trip B monitor? (I have a gen 3 so I'm not sure). If it does, I would look at this trip monitor also when test driving them. Chances are the average non hypermiler driver doesn't even know it's there and this would have never reset it, which could give you a look at the MPG for the last 999.9 or even 9999.9 miles and a better picture overall.

15. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am starting to think the problem might be cslist. Which I have used to buy both my current car and bike. I haven't ran into this much sketchy stuff before outside of clist personals. Are there any other good sites? I have also been on carscom autotrader and carguru. Craigslist has the best prices but I have ran into 3 sketchy sellers so far. I am usually not on for this long and find what I am looking for sooner.

Kramah313 likes this.
  16. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    another possibility would be to wait until i could get a gen 3 for a similar price which would be maybe a couple of years. i might need a car sooner. currently have a 00 civic that gets 30-33. i kind of feel like there would be similar problems with a 2010. but would get upgrade. i kind of planned on jumping up to gen 3 anyway from gen2 in maybe less than 5 yrs.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If by this, you mean the reading on the consumption screen, you are setting yourself up to fail. It doesn't matter what the screen says, what does matter is what it says when you drive it. Just reset it and go for a 20 mile drive.

Most of the problem is the nut behind the wheel. It won't matter what the consumption screen says, because as soon as the nut behind the wheel is changed you have a totally different kettle of fish.

I could guarantee that if you drove my Prius, you would not be able to get an average of 50 MPG.

You have been give some good advice, but you continue to blindly follow your own preconceptions. You will get nowhere, if you choose to ignore good advice.

#37 dolj, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    GrGramps and Moving Right Along like this.
  18. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe you could try to wait then - if the civic falls apart the gen 2s will still be there for you. I know waiting sucks though, I was there when I was looking for mine. Good luck whichever way you go!

19. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    stop worrying about the mpg on the display. the previous owner might have been simply a clueless tree-hugger that: A. didn't know how to drive for mpg, B. didn't even know how to check tire pressure, which has a major effect on mpg, C. was a cheap idiot that bought junk tires, which also can affect mpg.

what you do want to worry about is the service records, and carfax report (not all accidents get reported to carfax though). forget a salvage car, if you can't even do your own tune-up, your gonna spend a fortune trying to pay for a salvage car to be roadworthy. i've been a mechanic for 35 years and I wouldn't even consider a salvage car unless it was free.

also, if you buy from a used car lot, make sure the car comes with some sort of warranty, just in case you do have a problem. one good thing for you is that in Cali you get a 150k hybrid warranty from Toyota. so if the car hasn't been wrecked, your covered.

I would steer clear of independent used car lots; Abdul will tell you any lie he can make up to get you to buy, and as soon as you've driven off the lot, he won't give you any help.

dolj likes this.
  20. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Click on his Fuelly badge and you'll have your answer. Just started, posting a first tank of 40 at the end of 2016. Fuelly hasn't updated their site to include 2017 stats and his second tank yesterday was 42.5. Only 500 miles entered so far. You need longer term evidence before you can judge that car.

I know mine is also low by your standards but it has a lot to do with how the car is used. During the school year the car transports kids to and from multiple schools at different times, me to and from my job at a local school twice a day, grocery shopping, etc., all trips of less than 1 1/2 miles each way. It doesn't see the freeway but once or twice a week and one of those trips is in stop & go rush hour traffic. It does spend a lot of time on the open highway at higher speeds during the summer.

I've logged tanks as low as 34 mpg under those conditions but I've also gotten over 51 mpg while heading across Arizona at 75 mph with the a/c on in 110* weather. I don't agonize over the mileage or worry about it because the car is driven carefully and maintenance is faithfully done. A Carfax + a logbook containing a combined 110k miles of never missing a service and a some things (trans fluid, 12v battery, etc.) done preemptively.

Looking at mileage on a screen that may be innacurate and based on only a partial tank is really not enough to judge a car's history and condition.

jerrymildred likes this.