1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a used Gen 2 but I am finding lots of low mpgs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ChrisPR77, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the thing. Ever go looking for something, find it's not available, no one's got it, no one wants to hear? What you're looking for could be very valid, but you've got to heed the reality of the situation, it'll be hard to do otherwise.

Reset the trip meter with the car warmed up, take the test drive, see how that goes. Also, listen for odd sounds, pay attention during acceleration and braking, cornering. Take a few hills, up and down, watching the charging status. Look the car over inside and out, pop the hood and check fluids, look for anything odd. Lift up the hatch floor and check the spare, tools, cleanliness, any standing water, the 12 volt battery apperance. Look in the wheel wells for rust, under the front and rear bumpers for scrapes, stuff hanging, and the rocker panels for scrapes/crushing.

#41 Mendel Leisk, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    srellim234 likes this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    But remember that curtain odd sounds like brake pressure pump (about every other brake event and when entering the Prius) and heat recovery pump or even AC running without engine are normal for Prius.

Rust on wheel wells of Prius?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe just a Honda thing? (n)

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would say that Gen 2 Priuses rust at:
    -Front bottom of the rocker panel (only if not fitted with mud guards) or front fenders where front mudguard is fitted (only if fitted with mud guards).
    -Back of rocker panel (area from center of rear door back) rust from inside out. This can easily be prevented/slowed down with anti-corrosion oil spray.
    -Area inside rear wheel well in front of rear wheel “dirt shelf”.
    -Rear suspension
    -Floor pan and underbody backwards from rear seat area.
    -Pretty unimportant things in the underside. Those only matter when you try to remove them or something attached to them for some work…

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think its sad dealers have got such a bad reputation. If you think about it they should have a mechanical edge. That being that we should be paying for a thorough inspection and repair process. Maybe there should be a law that forces them to bring each and every car up before it is resold by a dealer. The sad truth I guess its not fare to live in paranoia as probably most sales aren't a rip off. Auto mechanics have the same level of shadiness as overall stereotype. I think the next couple of appointments I make are going to be private owner. Tired of playing the game. Tired of dealers who don't even know what they have.

6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was looking for a car, I found it useful to look at Carfax records to see to which dealers people were taking their cars to get maintenance & repairs. I ended up finding a pretty good dealership that way. Also, at least a couple dealers in my area have abandoned the traditional commission salary from salespeople, which theoretically makes them less likely to push shady deals. But of course, your mileage may vary.