1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a used Model 3

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jul 31, 2018.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    $63,800 ??
    LOL - that's what it's NOT selling for ...

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No. The rule is that they get the full credit for the quarter in which they hit 200,000 plus one quarter. Then two quarters at half and two more quarters at a quarter.

3PriusMike likes this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I wanted one I would just wait until the supply and demand caught up and by then there will be another new model to oggle over, it never ends.

4. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    The only model 3 (used with under 400 miles on it) selling here in MN is listed at around $62,000

I want one, but I'm waiting for the $30K car to actually SELL for $30K

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There has never been a $30k Model 3.
    The base Model 3 is $35k. You will likely be able to get one at the beginning of the year if you have a reservation. If not, I would guess the second half of next year with a $1875 federal refund.

el Crucero likes this.
  6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No, the way the legislation is written, an automaker gets the rest of the quarter they hit 200K (in the case of Tesla Q3/18) and then the subsequent quarter after that (in the case of Tesla, Q4/18). So that means that Tesla buyers, those who take possession of a Tesla of whatever model,. will qualify for up to $7500 tax credit until 12/31/18. That's why it is important to maximize the tax credit phase out by hitting the 200K number shortly after the start of a quarter and get close to a 6 month phase out of the maximum credit. It was easy for Tesla to do that, since they don't use the dealership model, by withholding deliveries in June to avoid hitting the 200K number. It is expected that GM will hit the 200K threshold some time in early 2019. It will be more difficult for them to control when that happens because they have dealers with a lot full of cars who want to sell as many as they can today.

3PriusMike likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  8. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, you can purchase a brand new model 3 Performance option with close to 0 miles (0-60 <3.5 seconds) for that same amount here in California less $10K ($7500 tax credit + $2500 State rebate) so nets for around $54K. Or you can pick up a model 3 Long Range to net around $39K on the same deal. And you can pick it up before the end of the year.

9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not sure why anyone would take that deal. From appearances, that car sold for $50.5K when new, less the $7500 tax credit, netted for $43K. Used cars don't qualify for the Federal tax credit. It doesn't make sense to me.why someone would pay that amount.

[EDIT] Just took another look at the listing, and this car apparently sold new for $55.5K with options and therefore netted at $48K with tax credit. So yes, for this car with 1000 miles would be a good buy for $46K.

[Second EDIT] The original listing said the car had "autopilot." Then after the car is sold, it says it doesn't have "autopilot." Therefore, selling at $46.8K makes no financial sense. The car is worth at most $43K and the seller could be in trouble with Ebay for deceptive advertising.

#29 el Crucero, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    no my friend - whatever you are looking at, it's not the proper ad showing a successful sale.
    Here's a screen shot of what you're not seeing;
    [​IMG]

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I clicked your link and missed the banner at the top

upload_2018-8-1_13-1-14.png

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Model 3, plus the Bolt, Volt, and the other plug ins that qualify for the full tax credit, are at a price point where the people buying them likely won't be able to use the full credit after you figure in the deductions they have.

14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A CPA on a Tesla forum estimated that it would take an annual gross income of approximately $80K (including deductions) to qualify for the full $7500 federal tax credit. I don't know, I'm not a CPA.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That $80, 000 is per family, so it could be 2 people that earn it. What's really bad is a certain manufacturer (that shall go unnamed) lobbied hardcore to assure if you make too much money (able to afford a model X or S) you cannot get the $7,500. That happened to us, and we don't make THAT much. However they also carved out an exception for fuel cell cars, so you can still make a boat load and still go hydrogen.witha $7,500 credit. Despite stacking the deck though, Tesla is still taking off.

bisco and el Crucero like this.
  16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought you just had to have a tax liability of.....$7500.

A $55,000 car is pretty much a one-percenter buy for now depending of course on how one defines one-percenter.
    upload_2018-8-1_13-44-33.jpeg

Fun fact:
    Nationally, a family income as low as about $135,000 puts you in one-percenter territory....(probably if you're a family of one.)
    OTOH.....In some parts of the California, a family income of $117,400 qualifies you as "low income."

Tesla has always had a plan for life after the tax kickbacks expire, and for what it's worth, I think that it's a sound plan.
    While we're playing around with numbers......the median price for a new car in America is probably between $30,000 and $35,000 which, when the unicorn version of the '3' comes out is about what it is going to be priced at.

This is a great example of using tax cuts for a few to (later) improve life for the masses.

Capitalism at work!
    Now......let's see if Tesla can keep all the moving parts in formation long enough to put the 'affordable' version of the '3' on the street......

#36 ETC(SS), Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Around here, a guy wearing a 1% patch is someone you didn't mess with. ;)

LasVegasaurusRex and hill like this.
  18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.....I almost did that on purpose.....

:D

19. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, that is correct, a minimum tax liability of $7500 for the full year. It takes a combined income of around $80K for a person who works for a paycheck to have that kind of liability. There are edge cases though. For example you could have a retired individual who earns and pays taxes on a Soc. Sec. income of $25K annual income but then takes a large chunk of money out of his retirement investments (to purchase a Tesla) and has to pay additional capital gains and ordinary income on that, which could result in a $7500 liability. OR someone who says he makes billions a year but pays no income tax because he says, "Only stupid people pay taxes." Theoretically, he would not get any tax credit for purchasing a Tesla.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  20. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've had alerts for a pre-owned one set up for a while now, but judging by my inquiries the sellers all seem to have a very hard time understanding that used cars are worth less, not more, than new ones.

I'll let someone else try and convince 'em :)