1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WTB Looking for a used Prius >=2006, < 75kmi, good battery

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by integra143, Jun 17, 2016.

1. integra143

integra143 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking to buy my HS senior daughter a car to help out with household transportation duties.
    She saved up $2500 and I told her I'll match her savings ... so relatively around $5K.
    Thank you.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    See the Prius Cars For Sale section. No involvement, just happened to notice a 2008 FS.

3. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    IMHO a well used prius is not a good choice for those with limited resources. While generally reliable, they have additional expensive systems beyond a traditional car. If you can't afford an immediate $3000 repair, look elsewhere.

bisco likes this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed.
    An under 75,000 mile prius of that vintage will have a hybrid battery that is a DECADE old.
    It will need to be replaced from lack of use.
    Cost of $2,800 or more.

If you are looking for a Toyota, perhaps consider a used Camry, Corolla, etc

Kramah313 and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree. if it were my child, i would go corolla, camry, yards, mazda, civic, etc. i think you can get more for your money with non hybrid, and lower potential repair costs in the case of older vehicles.

6. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Putting that aside, a car with those miles and that year or newer in socal is around 6-7k. Then you'll have to do the tuneups and potential repairs down the road. Not a car for the faint of heart imo.

7. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is a tough set of requirements. Hybrid batteries seem to wear out faster if they aren't used much, and that would probably apply to a 10 year old car with under 75,000 miles. If you find one that has already been replaced it probably won't be $5,000 or less. As others have mentioned you could probably get a corolla or similar car with those requirements though.

A Corolla is cheap and reliable, good for a high school kid. Maybe if she wants a Prius she could have one down the road with the money you save by not buying something expensive now. A Prius is very reliable and a good car, I would just rather have one I knew the history of (if not brand new, at least gently used. I bought mine 3 years old).

Any car she drives to high school is just going to get beat up anyways from the other high school drivers most likely.