1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a wireless security camera...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Skoorbmax, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only thing ever to happen on my street was a bunch of cars rifled through. I didn't lock then...I still don't (it's just how I roll!), but a camera from where I plan to put one would have nailed them cold, or at least had some blurry images to curse at.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never had anything random happen. My system works great.
    Main reason there's any issues is you need a phase coupler installed in the ac box to connect the phases together.
    That and avoid channel one.
    There only real drawback is they don't control LED bulbs.
    But I have not tried the dimmable LED bulbs yet.

And yes there camera's are not the best but there cheap and work very well.

If I want to go to the next step up I use Panasonic camera's off eBay. Panasonic makes the best security camera's.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't deployed, but I was fiddling with an old USB-based web cam this weekend and its quality I think would mirror a $200-300 IP security camera (even a contemporary one) in regular lighting. It is absolutely unusable at night, though. Picks up nothing. But an HD web cam can be had for way under $100 so if only day time is needed and a USB cable can be run and the unit enclosed I wonder if they'd be suitable. I imagine they could handle sub-freezing temps. Still going to focus though on a megapixel IP camera.

4. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it cheaper or better to get a DVR based security camera system with multiple cameras (like 8) ... or a bunch of Foscams? I have plenty of spare computer hardware to shackle together for the Foscams to upload to.

One thing is I definitely do not want to run wires all over the place. Generally speaking, providing power to the wireless foscams will not be an issue.