1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking For Advice 200,000+ miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by marcus71, Jun 22, 2020.

1. marcus71

marcus71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 base Prius that has 207,000 miles on it, and the battery pack needs replacing. I am looking for advice on whether or not it is worth the $1100 to get it replaced. If I can get another 50,000 miles out of this car, I would consider it money well spent. However, I just do not know if this is possible without spending another grand or two down the road. The recalled pump was replaced in 2013, the brakes/rotors replaced less than 10,000 miles ago, no cluster issue with this Prius. The car is used mainly as a daily commuter car with 125 mostly highway miles driven 4 to 5 days a week. Any advice or things I should look out for?

2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What are you getting for $1100 regarding the HV battery pack replacement?

Such as new, used or "rebuilt" HV battery pack?

What kind of warranty?

Who/what firm would be doing the work?

How far do you have to travel if you need warranty work?

How long has the battery seller (or perhaps installer) been in business?

Has the battery seller (and/or installer) received feedback here on Priuschat?

What is the condition of the Gen2 other than the HV battery: interior, exterior, body damage (if any), CEL/DTC codes, oil consumption,A/C operation etc.

How handy are you (as the Gen2 gets older it is likely that you will have more issues which can become expensive if you are not handy)?

If you answer the above questions then the answer will become apparent.

Good luck!!!!

PS Some folks are seeing 300k to 400k from these same Gen2s.

#2 ydpplqbd, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Then get a new pack if reliability is paramount. Rebuilt/refurbished packs are NOT new and $1100 for one isn't all that attractive when you can get all new modules for about $500 more.

http://www.newpriusbatteries.com/

Toyota packs typically cost more than this and also carry a $1350 core charge but that is refunded when the old pack is returned.

If you are not a DIY sort of person, then the services rebuilders offer ("free" installation, warranties, etc) can be enticing but many customers report multiple failures.

GOOD LUCK!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would go with a new pack, 2008 should go 500,000 miles

5. Droford

Droford New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First time poster, been trying to work on the 06 I've had for 2.5 years. Early signs of the hybrid battery pack starting to go south (mpg down to 39 from 45 when I first got it). I just found a place in Raleigh NC called Hybrid Geek that was doing a no longer running sale of a reconditioned battery pack and 1 year warranty for $895 but it had to be done at their shop. Luckily I'm traveling to TN in 2 weeks and Raleigh is conveniently about 1/2 way. Prior to this I was looking at a place called falcon hybrid in NJ thats using gen 3 cells in their Gen 2 battery packs but its almost $1400 and the opinion ive gotten was that there wouldn't be that much improvement in using gen 3 cells to justify the added cost. So i went looking and found the hybrid geek place and it was good because thrres no core charge or delivery fee or anything. I will follow up on my experience with them later.

I'm hoping to get as many miles as possible and mechanically the car is in pretty decent shape, mainly because the previous owner was kind enough to do 5,000 dealership service visits for just about 11 years up until about 3 years ago. I myself have opted away from the dealership but I've changed the spark plugs, new yellowtop 12 v battery, extended life oil change and i fixed the trunk latch on the rear garnish that was broke. Only current issue im dealing with right now is a broken windshield wiper linkage/motor and a cracked windshield from trying to fix it. There's also bad paint on the hood and spoiler that i've been looking into matching with salvage parts like I did the garnish but my paint doesn't seem popular (4s2/driftwood pearl) and i know nothing about paint to fix it that way.

#5 Droford, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020