1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for advice from 2011 Prius Owners

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by quickdrawgc, Jan 9, 2012.

1. quickdrawgc

quickdrawgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey All,

This is my first post. I tried to use the search function to find all my answers and some I found, some I didn't or they were for much older models.

I'm pretty sold on the Prius, I'm converting over to a hybrid for the first time. I've picked up a 120 mile (round trip) commute every weekday that's split about 3/4 highway, 1/4 city. I'm getting about 28 now in my 04 cavalier and a Prius should save me about 30 gallons a month just in the work commute.

What I'm hung up on is whether or not any of the extras / options are worthwhile. I know I don't need nav, but I use my iPhone 4s for everything in the car and would like to have a nice interface with the car (hands-free or steering wheel preferred). I'm not sure I can get there with the Prius II. The one I test drove only had an aux cable it looks like that won't interface with any of the car controls.

Locally (or within 100 miles) I seem to be able to get the 2011's with only about $1000 difference between the II and III's (the III's seem to have random extras tacked on like mats or fog lamps that is part of the cost difference).

So my questions are:

1.) Is the upgrade from II to III worth it if I'm not getting Nav? I know you get bluetooth, but I don't really understand the differences in the rest of the stereo other than more speakers.

2.) Does anyone know if you can add the aftermarket USB connection to the II or III w/the stock stereo and control and iPhone/iPod with the steering wheel? Has anyone had positive experiences with it? What about aftermarket bluetooth?

Thanks!

James

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two more speakers in the JBL sound system, plus there is an amplifier mounted underneath front passengers seat. Basically the JBL has more highs, lows, power and clarity, although it's not a high end system for audiophiles. with good quality sound source (your favorite CD), it can sound pretty good with some lows in there too.

The Three also has voice activated Bluetooth for handsfree phone. I can just touch the button, say call, home, dial, then it dials the call, don't have to touch the phone. There are aftermarket system, but the Threes control buttons are on the steering wheel.

I wanted to go with Three because I did not want to deal with adding more audio or bluetooth. Adding audio components like new speakers requires removing door panels which may or may not be easy to do. I wouldn't want to do it. Also, wiring in amplifiers require a good bit of labor. Some high end shops can charge an easy thousand $ or more to do basic upgrades. Toyota will not upgrade the audio after purchase.

I know aftermarket 'iPod interface' (USB) can be added. I've heard of BlueLogic for Bluetooth.

It's tough with options because the 2012 Two is getting USB and bluetooth. Three adds Nav and backup camera and 3 door SmartKey, but the JBL has been left off Three and basic Four (pretty sure) and will only be available in Four with Adv. Tech package ($$) and I think you'd have to get the sunroof too. Five get JBL GreenEdge. Both well over $30k.

Or DIY upgrade.

1 person likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First off, Toyota has gone to spelling out the numbers with model year 2011, instead of Roman numerals. http://web.archive.org/web/20090609.../toyota-announces-prices-for-2010-89249.aspx? shows what's extra with Three (formerly III). The JBL stereo is better than the base one. Not sure if that and the other stuff is worth it. That depends what you think it's worth.

On the Three, you'll have the extra buttons on the steering wheel for Bluetooth phone support (no A2P music streaming is supported).

For model year 2012, see the changes and additions to the 2/Two (Exclusive: 2012 MY Prius - Changes and Additions | PriusChat). Notice the "USB port with iPod® connectivity and control,... hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology."

On the '11, you can't even get music streaming (and believe USB) until you get the nav package and you couldn't get BT phone support until you went to Three.

However, the dilemma is the '12 will cost more but also, in some areas, '11s have incentives going on. See my post at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...00577-2011-vs-2012-dilemma-7.html#post1441833 and the ones that follow. There was a $1K incentive in Nor Cal on 2011 Priuses and pretty good deals, to boot. Fat chance you'd see that when '12s show up. The dealer will want to clear out their '11s by slashing prices before they do that on '12s. As I posted at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/79235-299-999-mile-club-54.html#post1446451 on 1/7/12:
    Check Toyota Dealerships - New & Used Car Deals & Special Offers | BuyAToyota.com for incentives in your area.

Unfortunately, virtually every (or just every?) Prius you see, including '11s will have the stupid floor mats and cargo mat included. It seems they're ordered that way, for the most part.

1 person likes this.
  4. quickdrawgc

quickdrawgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the responses! That helps a lot on the decisions.

So far the quotes I've been given have been in the 24800-26000 range (supposedly 'out the door') for II's and III's in the color I want (with no options, or just floor mats). But that includes the $500 incentive they are offering (I may pick the financing and miss the $500). I don't' think I'll find a 2012 for anywhere near that

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since I know nothing about the sales tax and fee rates in your area, if that doesn't include it, that's really high to me. For my area, Toyota Sunnyvale is openly advertising '11 Twos for $22,488 + tax and license (pretty sure it includes destination charge) at Specials on new and used cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, parts and service specials.. The Nor Cal Toyota incentive is now $500 instead of $1000.

I bought my 06 from them in January 06 and they seem honest.

Take a look at New Toyota Prius | For Sale | Santa Rosa, CA. I've never dealt with them as they're way too far away for me.

6. Duckles McGee

Duckles McGee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Something to consider, the NAV allows for bluetooth audio streaming from the iPhone. Also, while the NAV unit is fairly dated on the 2011's, it does have a nice interface when compared to the non-NAV version. Even with the phone, it makes it easier to synch contacts and quick dial previous calls.

It's not a need, but for the $20 per month difference, I like it I feel the utility outweighs the cost, especially for my commute which is similar to yours.

7. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP, i had the same dilemma as you but in the end i opted for the II instead of the III with OTD price here in So Cal for $23300. my reasons for the II.

1. This was wife's car and not mine.
    2. Only feature that III had was the bluetooth button on the steering wheel. But if you drive the prius, you'll notice that your hands are extremely close the deck and like anyone really drives with two hands on the steering wheel these days.
    3. A relative gets whole price on audio so I'm going to upgrade the stock unit with top of the line pioneer once it comes out with backup camera, which should add more function and yet cheaper than nav upgrade.
    4. The stock speakers powered by an aftermarket unit should be sufficient for my wife's needs.
    5. It's my wife's car.

8. quickdrawgc

quickdrawgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I'm going to go with the 2, there are many more of them in the area and the dealers seem to be willing to go farther below invoice on those.

I'll go scan the electronics forum to see what it would be like to add the aftermarket stuff when budget allows.

FL tax is between 6%-7.5% depending on the county, The best II I found so far was 22500 + tax/tag/title and the silly dealer fee brings it up to about 24780. (this includes $500 off from toyota). I'm still looking for something lower.

9. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Prius 2 but it came with Blu Logic. The Blu Logic allows me to use the phone hands free and dial via voice. When my son drives the car with his Iphone he can stream music on the system via blutooth as well as hands free phoning. He can also stream Pandora.

10. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    With 2012 getting delivered in just couple of weeks away, I think you could definitely go lower than that. 22500 was the quote that my local dealer gave me while I was walking away. I think you could do $21000!

11. Nolfi

Nolfi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2011 Prius III was delivered to my house yesterday. It has the nav system and I didnt really want the nav but I wanted some of the things that came with it. The steering wheel mounted bluetooth controls are great. It does have a USB interface that you can hook a lot of options up to including an IPOD/IPAD. I purchased mine through AAA after looking at a couple of dealers. I told AAA what I wanted and they delivered. I saved about $2000 off the price the local dealers wanted. When the car was delivered I found the dealers pricing inside the packet. The price was almost $4000 more than what I paid. I have put a couple of hundred miles on it so far and love!

12. quickdrawgc

quickdrawgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I pulled the trigger on Friday, got a 2011 II in the Winter Grey. Ended up costing me 22600 before tax/tag/title, only 'extra' was the toyoguard sadly but I'm enjoying it. Was trading in a really beat up 02 Saturn and actually got decent value out of it (blue book was only $800 due to condition, not considering the AC was shot) since they were willing to go up on the trade but not down in the price (said they didn't want to have to admit they sold the car 'so cheap')

One of the dealerships near my work swore they'd sell a Base II (no toyoguard or any other options) for 19990, but they required specific financing and wouldn't disclose dealer and financing fees (minimum % on the loan was 5.9%) so I passed there.

Has anyone bought the OEM bumper cover and installed it? I'm looking at getting one from prius chat store, but don't want to fubar the install. Looks like its just adhesive strips?

13. pfjmarina

pfjmarina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought the black rear bumper cover from the prius chat store and installed it on our 2011. It is just adhesive strips, but seems very solid. It's been on about 8 months now. You have to be careful during installation to make sure it's lined up right, but there are instructions with suggestions on how not to screw it up. I definitely recommend it!

1 person likes this.