1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for advice on used purchase.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by greylar, May 15, 2008.

1. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello All,
    I am new to the Prius world and recently decided to get one. Ha ha ha. It turns out there isn't one to be had in my area for miles. I did find what I think is a good deal from a reputable auto rebuilder. He has a 2007 pruis (i think package #2) with mild front end damage. It looks to need a radiator, hood bumper etc, but the engine looks in fine shape. He has offered to sell it to me for $20,000 after he rebuilds it and will provide me with a 2 month 2500 mile guarantee to fix anything that he might have missed that wouldn't be covered under warranty. Here are my questions:
    1. Since the Prius is a Hybrid should I be concerned that there are specialty components that will continually cause me problems down the road as a result of the crash?

2. Since this vehicle has been basically un-driveable, (it will start and drive but the radiator is damaged so I haven't done more than drive it on the lot), should I be concerned with the condition of the main batteries given that it may have been sitting for some time and will Toyota replace them under warranty should they fail?

3. Does anyone know how well Toyota warrants a vehicle that has been in a crash?

Thanks very much in advance, Greylar

2. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in but the damage you describe does not appear to be mild. I would have a Toyota dealership(not sure if they do this) do a thorough inspection before you plunk down 20 grand for a damaged vehicle.

3. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    20000 is way too much for a salvage Pkg2. Auto body shops typically buy cars from insurance auctions for about 10K (At most with less damage). They also normally have access to parts from salvage yards which cost them 1/4th the cost of the same part from the dealership. I would say paying anything over 15K-16K for that car (Pkg 2) is a fair price. I strongly suggest you look at some ads on Ebay regarding salvage prius.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They'll do it if you pay them.

A Prius is complicated. So much can go wrong with one in an accident it'll turn you white. Without a thorough diagnosis by a dealer I wouldn't touch this thing, and then not for $20K. Maybe $12K.

5. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you very much for the replys. I definitely will reconsider this deal. The $20,000 includes taking it to back to new condition but as you all have stated it was still in a wreck.

By the look of it I would say the driver was adjusting something on the dash and didn't noticed until the last second or two that there was someone stopped in front of him. There is the classic hood crinkle that you get when you are hard on the brakes and kind of go under a vehicle in front of you. But I wouldn't say the speed was more than 15-20 miles an hour.

If this were any other vehicle I wouldn't even have second thoughts but since the Prius is a special car I am a little leary of ongoing mystery problems.

Thanks again,
    Greylar

6. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Remember:
    Salvage Title means the Toyota warranty is voided.
    No warranty, none, zero, nada!!

And, down the road, you have pretty much no resale value, with a salvage title.

Your choice.

7. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This doesn't have a salvage title. :) So I don't think the warranty issue would be there because of that. Still a little scary if there are problems down the road.

G

8. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Charansr for the ebay tip. If you don't mind a salvage title you can get some sweet deals. G

9. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks again for the advice. I bit the bullet this morning and got on the waiting list for a new one. There are only 4 in front of me (smaller dealer) so it might only be six weeks but more likely closer to eight.

Thanks,
    G

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    First, the insurance company would have repaired the car if the damage was as described. Second, IMO there may be a hassle getting something replaced under warranty later. The dealer and/or Toyota's first defense may be the line, "Not a defect as the failure of that part was due to damage from the accident".

11. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If anyone is considering a used Prius, $25 for unlimited vehicle history reports (60 days) from AutoCheck would certainly be a worthwhile investment/insurance.
    Could save a lot of bucks down the road.