1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mrose, Aug 16, 2016.

1. mrose

mrose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi. I am new here. I am sure the questions I am going to ask are answered elsewhere but if you could help me out, I would appreciate it. I am feeling pretty overwhelmed. Our Mazda van started on fire and was a total loss so we had to scramble to get a new car. We picked a 2012 Toyota Prius. I am already in love with it. I can't imagine having a car that's not a Prius after only having it a few days now. I bought it from Carmax and have a 5 day window in which I can return or exchange it. It has 75,000 miles on it. I am wondering if you guys would pay $3000 more for a 2013 with 1/2 the miles on it? My thinking is I can keep the $3000 and if I need to repair it sooner rather than later, use it for a repair. Also I want to take it to my mechanic to check it over and make sure there's nothing wrong with it. My mechanic says he works on Priuses but I keep reading to take it to the a Toyota dealer. When looking for a car I went to the local dealer and didn't really like them that much. I don't know if I can trust the repair shop there. I am worried they will try to convince me to return it and buy a car from them. They were super pushy when I was looking.
    Also I was worried at first because I wasn't getting the gas milage I thought I should be getting. I got like 34 one trip. But it seems the more I drive it, the better gas mileage I'm getting. Last night I got 54. Is that normal? For it to be so different? Is it because it wasn't driven much when sitting at Carmax for a month? Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated. As I said above, I am overwhelmed, but in love with my Prius. Thanks so much!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles do you drive a year? The Prius is designed to go about 180,000 miles....so you have to figure out from your starting point of 75,000, how long it'll take you to get there. Once your car gets to around 180,000 miles......then anything can happen in terms of breakdowns and repairs (although many go way past that before any major repairs). Up to 180,000, the car should be pretty reliable.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, in order to get an accurate gas mileage reading, you need to see what a tank does and some times 2 fill ups. The computer is getting used to your driving style and will constantly readjust. Give it two tanks to get a better reading. As for the other one with less miles, less miles with any car is better.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd suspect it's just trip length: short trips, the car's warming up, puts a dent in mpg. Speed is a factor too: mpg will drop at freeway speeds. AC's lowers mpg too.

Having got a 54 mpg, I'd say you've no problems. :)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! agree with all of the above. 75k isn't much, but it depends on how many more miles you intend to add. if you trust your mech, i would let him look it over. did you get service and accident history?

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm....
    A used car, always comes with a certain amount of risk.
    The mileage is only one aspect.

That is to say, you could have a great Prius with 75000 miles on it, and change it out for a lemon with 37,500 miles on it. There's no guarantees.

If you're happy with the one you currently have? I'd stay with the one you are happy with.
    Since you have 5 day window? Maybe less now?
    I might try to take a longer road trip before the window closes, just to try to reveal any "problems". OR if you can find an independent or dealer, have it checked out.

But if you are otherwise happy?
    A difference of roughly 37,500 miles on the odometer, wouldn't motivate me to make a change.

Your bigger problems might be if you are unhappy or uncomfortable with the Toyota dealership. You NEED to find a repair facility that is knowledgeable and supports Prius maintenance and repair. Regardless of which Prius you eventually end up keeping.

Good Luck.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, I do always tell "newbies" to not worry so much about trip to trip gas mileage. Shorter trips will result in lower gas mileage. Other factors like outside temperature also can impact. Make sure your oil level is good, and your tires are inflated, check PSI on the drivers side door jam.

Start paying attention to tank to tank gas mileage. If it is good? You're good.
    And I would get an average over the course of a couple of fill ups.

8. mrose

mrose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure. :)
    My husband bought one for himself the same day and it only has 36,000 miles on it so we are planning on using his for longer trips.
    Thanks!

9. mrose

mrose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know the computer adjusts. Thanks so much for the info. :)

10. mrose

mrose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. That makes me feel better. :)
    I just drove my husband's Prius to the store and it got 59 mpg. Maybe his will just get better mpg than mine since it's a year newer and has less miles. I had no idea the mpg varied. I didn't know anything about Priuses (what is the plural for more than one Prius???) until we bought two on Saturday. I'm a little less overwhelmed and excited. We both love them. I just want to make sure I made the right choice. I did get scared after my mechanic told me they need a new battery after 100,000 miles...but everything I have read online is contrary to that so maybe he doesn't know. Thanks again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. mrose

mrose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! Do you use the mpg that the car tells you or do you figure it out yourself? And yes I do like it. I love it. We just went through a super stressful time. My husband was laid off and then a couple days later our only reliable car started on fire. I'm so worried about money right now but we're ok. I just like to understand everything before I make a big decision like this and I didn't. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

12. mrose

mrose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I keep trying to reply to this and it keeps telling me there is a sneaky url in my comment so I'm writing this as a test. :)

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're having website issues, to say the least.

14. mrose

mrose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I can't figure out how to post the message. I'll try again later.

15. mrose

mrose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yet I can post this one. I'm not sure why I can't post the one about the service my car has had.

16. mrose

mrose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I did. No accidents and it looks like it was taken in every 5000 miles. They missed one I think. I got the info by putting my vin number in at the Toyota website. At 40,000 miles it had this done "remove air inlet tube, clean throttle body and bore and free up linkage." At about 50,000 it had a brake system flush and at 70,000 it had this done "drain and refill transmission fluid, inspect shift cable and linkages and clean the fuel injectors and clean the throttle body"

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, they had a lot of dealer 'nonsense', but that means to me that they were concerned for the condition of the car, but didn't know to come here for advice. sounds like a keeper.

18. timdafweak

timdafweak Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will go against the grain here and caution you against the car. Based solely on the dealer's reputation.

I bought and returned a Toyota Prius 2015 with only 12,000 miles on it, a few weeks ago. What Carmax really neglects to tell you is that their inspection process, when they buy a car off someone for resale, is a joke. The Prius I bought just didn't 'feel' right, in spite of being a one owner car. Creaks and groans started to manifest over a matter of days. Took the Prius to a dealer, and basically found out that the oil was really dirty and needed to be changed and tires were at 3/10. A Carfax revealed that it was driven as a rental vehicle.

That was the last straw for me, and being within the return time frame, I took mine back. Now, I am not saying any of that is necessarily applicable to you. You may be much more knowledgeable about cars than I am, but a year newer car with 1/2 the miles is well worth it to me, if it is from another dealer. A Toyota dealer preferably.