1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for aerodynamic mod ideas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by eatdrumss, Feb 24, 2010.

1. eatdrumss

eatdrumss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 salvage that is being rebuilt how can i add to its aerodynamicness.?
    wheel skirts?

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something I have given some thought to and it wouldn't be expensive.
    Add a sharp trailing edge to the outside edge of the tail lights so airflow sheers off cleanly and doesn't try to follow around the curve of the tail light. Have a look at the sharp edges on the Gen III rear edges. A side benefit would be a reduction in cross wind effect.

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are wheel skirts available. The guys over ad EcoModders have done DIY skirts.

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've seen side mirrors replaced with tiny cameras and dash-mounted screens.

I've also wondered about somehow routing airflow into the back area to reduce drag and vortexing. I'm sure I'm butchering the words, but basically I saw a thing on a science show somewhere showing airflow introduced to the rear of the vehicle decreasing overall drag.

Maybe you can figure out a way to make the small rear window roll down like a station wagon. I always thought that would be a better way to ventilate the car without the need to operate energy-using fans.

6. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have to be careful of exhaust fumes entering rear through any opening

7. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't find it now when I search, but I thought I saw someone mentioning moving the front wheel air deflectors forward, closer to the bottom edge of the bumper. I remember it being presented as a very easy mod...

- D

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. darkness

darkness New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how about removing the catalytic converter? does that only work with old school cars or would it help the prius too?

edit: sorry not aerodynamic related. only mpg related.

10. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not MPG related either, just a way to pollute.

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I don't know where you got the impression that cat removal improves MPG. On high performance engines, particularly those with forced induction, cat removal can yield small power gains (1-3hp on an Evo/STi) by removing restriction. However, that is unlikely to improve fuel consumption. On a N/A engine like the one on the Prius, it is unlikely to make any difference at all.

13. darkness

darkness New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only get the impression from previous cars I have owned. My first few were all 90's trucks/suvs...in particular my 94 GMC jimmy got way better (15-20%) after there was no catalytic converter. I also remember old friends who intentially destroyed the inside of it to let the flow through easier.

My knowledge on the catalytic converter is anecdotal.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get a set of coilovers. Improve the handling and lower the car which improves aerodynamic as well.

15. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just came across this picture. I'm not sure what it's done for the mpgs but I think it has a few too many limitations to be practical:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  16. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Psst. It's definitely more than 1-3 hp on an Evo. I am not running a cat, and since I am running E85, it doesn't reek at all.;)

Oh and I'm in the process of doing some aero mods to my Evo, So I figured I would swing by here and see what some of you guys have done. I haven't been on here in forever.

Going to be doing the entire underbody and a large diffuser in the rear.

17. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    There have been tests that shows removing a cat only yields minimal power gains, 10 or less hp, generally on the less unless you are running a stupid crazy setup. You do it on a boosted car to relieve back pressure so the turbo can spool faster and harder.

On an N/A car, well no advantage since you are removing some of that back pressure that is needed for the car to run properly. If you are not careful on an N/A car, you can really mess up your power output, ie instead of gaining you are going to be losing.

SyZyGy ... E85 is a whole different beast vs pump gas. It can be pressurized higher without knock. As far as mods on your Evo, what are you planning? My friend has an 8 with the widebody widebody Voltex kit in flat black, super sick looking. (I know I said widebody twice, but there's the standard widebody Voltex, and then you can add on some extra flares on top of the flares, if that makes sense).

18. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  19. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I had several aero-mods on my 2006 Prius. It was totalled recently by a high-speed driving SUV.

Here is a list:

Flush Grill deflectors over the portion of the grill that is molded blocked between the slats.

In-line Upper Third A-Pillar tubulators. The idea on these is the air developes sideways velocity on the windshield, which exits in this area around the side of the car. By orienting the turbulator in-line with the A-Pilar, it primarily effects the sideways flow, and robs the sideways flowing air of its momentum. This air then just lays down flat on the side of the car. You can see rain form a J hook pattern in the area of the front windows just below the upper third of the A-pilar. With the tubulators, the rain drops would flow straight back along the window, unless there was significant cross wind.

Tubulators on the Rear-View mirrors just before the maximum dimension. The idea there was to tumble the air around the max dimension, reducing the effect cross-section of disturbed air-flow. This one was untested.

24 inch Volt bump on the tail of the rear spoiler. The Volt engineers found that a small (3/4 inch inline with airflow, 1/4 inch vertical) bump on the tail of the rear spoiler helped a bit. I made one out of PVC Foam, and coated it in epoxy, and used VHB tape to secure it to the rear edge of the spoiler.

Flush wheel covers using 10 mil aluminum flashing wrapped on the Prius trim rings. These resulted in noticably quieter noise from the wheel well area. Not sure if it was aero or not. I did down-hill test these. At the base of the hill the car held speed much longer.

I think my 2006 Prius was much more aero slipery than my new 2010. Although the 2010 N-glides much further on level terrain below 40 mph than the 2006 ever did. I have a hill I D-Glide down in my commute. The 2010 I enter at 48 and at the base of the hill its 45 mph. My 2006 I would enter at 45 and be at 52 mph at the base of the hill.

20. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    LOL !! that is hillarious. obviously not an areomod, just trying to get the material home. reminds me of hauling my 16ft garage door panels home on the roof of my Jeep. going 25mph about 5 miles home.