1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for aftermarket 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by btrotter, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As long as the battery has the correct external vent kit

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to revive, but I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought an OEM battery for the 2004. BTW - there are two different part numbers depending on whether the car is SKS equipped or not (one has a higher amp-hour rating). ~$138 and change before tax at the dealer. Why? I was there and had gotten fantastic treatment on the 2010 Purchase.

On a side note, the sales guy had suggested I swap the 2002 battery with the 2004 before trading the 2002. Sadly, they're not the same part. Different size and the posts are reversed. On the plus side, I knew exactly how to get to the battery the second time around. The swap isn't as trivial in the 2004 as the fuseable link component is clipped to the retaining bar. I couldn't get the clip off, but fortunately could rotate the fusable link instead of removing. The capacitor bank for the braking system is also well in the way, but not impossible to get things around. Best part is removing part of the hybrid battery vent so you can get the battery out.

Here's to hoping MPG improves and SKS performance improves.

Battery arrived fully charged this time as well. Diagnostic screen was reporting 11.3V on the old battery. 12.3V on the new.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A sales jerk that didn't know what the hell he was talking about. I'm shocked