1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for battery booster for 12V

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SweKiwi, Jan 1, 2018.

1. SweKiwi

SweKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've killed my batteries numerous times, got new ones (twice) and now I've done it again. I got help from a neighbour, but I would like to be able to help myself, as well if this happens later when I'm at the store or at work, I'd like to be able do depend on myself.

I've found this: Jump-N-Carry JNC300XL 900 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter on Amazon (can't link since I'm a new member)

startbooster.jpg
    .. and just wanted to ask if anyone with a bit more expertise could give me an advice if it would work and not kill my battery (or me) if I used it?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also, I've got one of those "Voltmeters", and when checking the battery, it now shows 13,9-14 (whilst the car is on, guess I can't check when it's off?). Does that mean my battery is not dying? I've checked it over about 6 days. Also I drove for about 1,5-2 hours to "charge" the 12V battery after I got saved by my neighbour, jump starting my poor little Prius.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

checking the car while it is on only tests the inverter, not the battery.
    after the car has been off for a good few hours, check the battery at the terminals, or the jump point under the hood.

booster pack is a great idea, i'm not familiar with any particular model, but others here will be along with reviews.
    all the best!(y)

SweKiwi likes this.
  3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Without opening any of the doors and not having the FOB nearby.
    That means unlatching the hood well in advance.

The "jump box" you listed should be fine.....as would a lot of other similar ones.
    If you use it correctly, there is little to no danger.
    If you hook it up backwards, all bets are off.
    Some of the better ones have automatic polarity protection and will "save" you from a stupid mistake.

SweKiwi likes this.
  4. SweKiwi

SweKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks both of you for the shown kindness!
    The tip about checking the battery when the car has been of for several hours and the hood "opened in advanced" is a really god tips.
    I will slightly open the hood (with that hatch under the steering wheel to the left) and not open the hatch until tomorrow morning and testing the battery with my voltmeter (looks like this one, but blue).

51bfcRJ9eAL._SY300_.jpg

I'll also with high probability buy that Battery Booster (Jump-N-Carry JNC300XL).
    Thank you so much for your guidance!

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had a Clore JNC660 for a number of years, the older model without built-in "auto" charger, meaning you had to guesstimate how long to plug it in for recharging. That was hit-or-miss and likely contributed to it's battery going. I took advantage of a refurb offer ($50 plus shipping), and when it got back passed it onto my son with a clearer charging mandate.

I also picked up another for myself, the same model, but updated with the built-in auto charger, which basically means you can plug it in and leave it on a day or two, without fear of overcharging. Anyway, it's always worked for me, is fairly high cranking capacity, and while fairly heavy/bulky, is quite flat: fits nicely the hatch under-floor tray.

Jump Starters - 1700 Peak Amp Volt JNC660 | Call us at 1-800-328-2921 |Clore Automotive

It might be overkill for your application, but it's a good bang-for-the-buck charger.

Addendum: Looked it up on Amazon: yikes the prices have been climbing; you might be better to stick with your pick.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Can't resist saying:

You should concentrate on "helping yourself" change the behavior that kills the battery in the first place. ;)

Then.....owning a small automatic battery charger to fully recharge it after one of these episodes would be a good thing too......as the system in the car really wasn't designed to recover the battery from a full discharge.

edc415, Mendel Leisk and SweKiwi like this.
  7. SweKiwi

SweKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the tip! I actually looked at that one as well. Unfortunately it is about +$100 whilst the Jump N Carry 300XL costs about $207 but I do not have to worry about postage, fees and such.
    The one you linked looks less technical and "older". But since you can vouche for it, I will see if I can get my hands on it from perhaps eBay within EU, since I can avoid heavy cusom fees.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. SweKiwi

SweKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've also been looking at this as a pre-fix thing. But the batterychargers I can find in Sweden I do not understand if I can charge them without removing the battery, since that is difficult for me without the tools and I only live in a small apartment and do not know if it is safe to charge the battery overnight in my flat.

I've looked at different CTEK MXS 3.8 or Cotech 15 A (can't link until next post, sorry :( )

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    15A is WAY too big......and expensive.

Fully automatic small battery maintainers/chargers usually come in 2 amp and 4 amp capacities.......and are perfectly safe to leave connected for LONG periods of time, like indefinite storage.

They can be connected at the same points where you jump without disconnecting or removing anything.

P.S. From the prices quoted, I think you are looking at jump boxes with MUCH more capacity than you need for a hybrid vehicle.
    Even one designed to be used on a large motorcycle should be plenty.

edc415 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd have to admit, when I was shopping chargers, some macho stirring probably moved me up the levels a bit... :oops:

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don’t have to open the hood way before checking the battery.
    Open it in the am to check.

First thing in the am before starting the car open the hood and on the right side is a black plastic fuse box. Take that cover off inside is a red plastic cover.
    That cover flips open to the right it has tiny little latch on it. Don’t force it. Flip it up.
    Under the red cover is a little vertical metal tab. That the positive (red)
    Battery connection. That’s connected directly to the positive battery post in the trunk. That’s where you put the test leads to your voltmeter and your red lead on the jump pack, there’s a bare nut on the metal chassis right above that black box. That’s chassis ground the black side of the battery. That’s where you Attach the volt meter black lead or jump pack black lead.

You have the same behavior as most people who have consistent battery failure on this site and that’s they do not lock the car with fob every time you get out. Especially in the garage.
    And you do not peek at the car before going to bed.
    If you attempt to lock the car and any door is ajar it will not let you arm the car.

Also the Prius throws an alarm when the battery is going to fail. It throws a big red exclamation point on the dash during boot up. Its very noticeable as it is not part of the bulb check boot up routine. It’s only onfor a second it flashes at you during boot up. That means your battery is less that 10.5 volts and will soon leave you.

SFO likes this.
  12. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do not all models require you to open a door to get to the hood release INSIDE THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT ??
    If not all, a lot of them do.

That door opening "wakes up" some of the computer systems and presents a fair load to the battery.
    During that period you are NOT measuring the battery with no load.

And your description of where the jump point connections are and what they look like certainly does not match my C.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1. I've got the earliest, puniest "Micro-Start" that Antigravity Batteries made, bit bigger than a deck of cards, works fine. Used it to start somebody else's big decrepit full-size van once in a parking lot, too.

Because the Micro-Start kinds of things are lithium, I do make an effort to buy them somewhere (like Antigravity Batteries' own site) I don't think I'll be getting a cheap knockoff....

-Chap

edthefox5 likes this.
  14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm still not convinced that is a good thing to advertise that they are capable of.
    Did you by any chance feel the wires right after that jump to see how HOT they were ?
    If it takes more than a few seconds for the "dead" vehicle to start, I suspect that those tiny little leads might go up in smoke.

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

That's good it puts a little load on the battery that removes the surface charge.

And yeah I don't doubt the jump point area is different than your C. This is a Gen2 forum. The OP has a 2008. You should go back to the C forum I'm sure there all missing you over there.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did, in fact, as I was unhooking right away after the engine started, as directed (they don't want the car's charging system to pump into the lithium battery directly through the jump port for very long; there's a different port you're supposed to use for charging).

The puny model I have ("only" 200 amps, peak of 400) is advertised (by Antigravity, not by me) for starting engines up to a 5.7 liter V8. (I don't know if they mean on a night like this!)

Nope, they're a bit hardier than you think, and they do have protective components of some sort built in (I haven't pried them open to see exactly what). That could be one area where corners might be cut in the lower-cost knockoffs and counterfeits (somebody did report ordering an Antigravity model from Amazon and getting an obvious counterfeit; I went straight to Antigravity's site to buy mine).

They also offer "smart" leads as an upgrade, with additional protective features, such as reverse-polarity detection.

Hmm, I might even buy those. I remember it took me a long time to find the + and - on that van battery.

The looks on that family's faces were pretty funny as I plucked this card-deck-sized thing out of my glove box and walked toward their van with it. They were even funnier when the van started. :)

-Chap

17. SweKiwi

SweKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone and thank you all for your answers!
    One small correction.

Car-year/model year: 2007
    First registered/put in trafic in Sweden: 2008

I was not able to open the hood without unlocking the car door. The alarm went off (haha) when I opened the hood slightly one morning and after work (6 hours later) I just opened the hood and the alarm went off, so I had to unlock the door. Therafter I checked the battery with my voltmeter, which showed at 11,80. I assume that battery is going to die sooner or later, no?

20180103_175304.jpg

I will try and see if I can get a jump booster/starter that has 2 amp or 4 amp capacity. The one I bought but haven't unpacked yet, is this one: [deleted link, can't post links yet]

Here is the specifications:
    Starthjälp, 12 V, 400 A
    Artikel: 37906
    Hyllplats: Välj varuhus
    499 SEK
    Inköpslistan

Starthjälp med kraftiga kablar och batteriklämmor. Startström: 400 A (max), 250 A (nom). Med cigarettändaruttag, batteriindikator, LED-belysning och ett 9 Ah inbyggt, underhållsfritt blybatteri. Starthjälpens inbyggda batteri skyddas mot överbelastning och överladdning. Nätadapter för 230 V laddning och laddkabel för 12 V cigarettändaruttag medföljer. Vikt: 3,8 kg.

Avsedd för fordon och båtar. Kan användas som 12 V strömförsörjningskälla och för laddning av elektronisk utrustning via en USB-utgång (5 V). Lägsta arbetstemperatur: -40 °C. Mått: 240 x 130 (95 utan kabelhållare) x 270 mm (l x b x h).

.. which is at 400 amp :) it was the cheapest they had (Biltema, where I bought it, is the store for cheap, but fully working car-related things in Sweden).

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There’s no later. I would replace that battery. Stop exposing the car to jump starts it’s so easy to
    Cause extreme damage to a prius with a bad jump start.

You can try charging it. Use those front jump points to charge it. Then do your volt test on it after a full charge. Then with the car turned off turn on Headlights and make them high beam bright and measure again. That load test will test the batteries ability to provide proper voltage under load. Post both the tests.

#18 edthefox5, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  19. SweKiwi

SweKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume I have to charge overnight? The car only has access to electricity for a short period of time (30 min - ~50 min) via an electric "pole". I assume that is not enough. Is there any batterycharger other Prius users have tried and that works? Read that 3-4 amp strong, is sufficient?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, that's a problem. best thing would be to not kill it in the first place.

edthefox5 likes this.