1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Career/Schooling advice.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Higgins909, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure where I can really go to talk about Schooling/Work. Wondering if anyone here knew of a place or could give me any.

I currently work in a machine shop. I started from no skill to some skill to do certain things on certain machines. More of a basic level but takes knowledge. I guess I climbed the ladder a bit, but not as much as I wanted to. I was able to learn how to do some basic programs for a specific machine but have not been able to practice that basic hand programming and have kind of forgotten it. It requires trig and I don't know how to do any, to do certain angles of the parts we make. Which is another reason I haven't gotten past basics. We ended up getting a new guy and he knows how to CAD/CAM which is like a 3d modeling programmer, that can go to any machine, with barely knowing anything about the machine. (slightly different programming languages)

It's got me wondering if I will ever get a shot to move up any more, than I have. So I'm wondering If I need to try and get into something else, but I have no solid idea. Not to mention that most of the industry has switched over to programming like this. I've got this mentality that I wont be able to make a decent living. (Cars & houses are rocketing, but wages are not) My dad has wanted me to be in a computer related job. I'm better than a lot of people that I now, but I see internet people doing things that I can't even comprehend. I've tried computer programming languages, but just lose interest so fast. I also fear I wouldn't survive/qualify in the job market for it. (competitive?)

How bad is it "if" I got my GED in my mid 20's? How bad is it if you have a GED? I've never made a resume as I'm still at my first job that I feel I was lucky to get as it was kind of given to me. I don't know if I could somehow get a HSD at this age. I'm not sure if you're supposed to put the year you graduated on your resume or what. (They could see that I got it in my mid 20's and not at 18 and question that)

There is a whole story for my current work situation, but I don't want to drag this out any more than I have.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you considered a trade like plumbing?

3. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I remember my mother mentioning that when I was in my early teens. I have not looked into it. I'm quite a lanky person though... and I already heave knee and back problems...

bisco likes this.
  4. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you ever considered a career in writing?

What about IT?

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If there is a non-profit community college in your area, I’d suggest contacting the admissions office, especially if the college offers classes or degree programs in manufacturing, CAD/CAM, or engineering technology. An academic advisor could tell you if you would need a GED first, and if so, what programs could help you earn it, or if you could start taking classes in a field relevant to your experience.

By doing this, you could develop skills that would help you on the job today and, at the same time, make you more qualified for higher positions. Whether you take only a few classes, complete a certificate program, or earn an associate’s degree—or even a bachelor’s degree in engineering or engineering technology—having both practical experience and education in the same field gives you an advantage. As a hiring manager, I look for this in candidates, and I know firsthand how hard it can be to work and go to school at the same time, but I also understand there are many things that aren’t taught in any classroom.

For an associate’s degree, you’d also have to take classes in general subjects, but from your writing here, I don’t think classes in English would be a serious problem for you, and you know the value of math for technical work.
    Having a GED is better than not, and it’s not a bad thing at all for a prospective employer to see that you were motivated, on your own, to continue your education. You wouldn't have to list the year on a resume.

Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1 to what Elektroingenieur said. The company I worked for actually reimbursed me for my schooling. I wound up with a bachelor's in electronic engineering design for free. If the company you work for is big enough to have the resources and cares about having the highest skilled employees available, maybe you could talk to someone in HR after you do the research @Elektroingenieur suggested.

Hopefully, they will recognize and reward your initiative. I wish you well.

Merkey likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There’s definitely demand for CAD/CAM modelling and programming. Lots of guys can operate the computer, describe an object and push the button to mill out 100 copies.

Not so many can look at the needs and predict things like “ah, let’s save enough clearance for a coat of paint, chamfer that one edge so the installer doesn’t get scraped, mill out a void here to improve the balance, put a bit of a curve here to discourage resting it upside down and make sure there aren’t any places for water to pool so it doesn’t corrode the steel bracket holding it…”

The other guy might wind up there after 4 revisions, you can make a lot of money turning that out earlier in the process.

In other words the same old good-design tricks are still valuable if you know enough to express them in a new CAD system.

You don’t want a job that a computer can do. You want a job that a computer can make easier.

Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is such important advice to give, that I feel very, very hesitant to give any specifics based on a post in Prius Chat. So accept this advice as simple generalities, and take what you wish or do not wish from the following comments.

I think a simple starting point, would be to talk to your employer and explain your desired goals. Get some idea what support or non-support might exist. Use your personal judgement about your employer. My personal experience is most employers like to have young employees that are motivated to improve and climb up the ladder. However, there are exceptions. But a conversation with employer about possibilities may be a good starting point.

Secondly, Education is credential that you can get, that stays with you your entire life. I wouldn't hesitate to pursue getting your GED. And I would look at it as a starting point for further education and/or training.
    You don't necessarily have to be graduating from Harvard in 10 years, but as you discover what you like, what you want, and what is possible, the more education, and or specific training you have and have on your resume the better.

Finally, educate and train to expand horizons and remain flexible. You may not think so, but mid-20's is still very young. What you discover you may want to do as a career, may change. It may change multiple time over your lifetime.

So for not really wanting or being hesitant to give advice in this format, I guess I have.
    Please feel free to ignore what you don't think applies, even if it's everything. Or accept anything you think might be of use.
    Good Luck.

Merkey likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do your local employment / unemployment agencies have services for job seekers? If anything like my state, they should have training sessions and assistance to help write resumes, along with many other topics important to people looking for new or improved jobs. Give them a visit and find out what resources and help are offered.

At the time I used my state's services after a mass layoff, the recommendations were to not put your age or graduation / degree / GED dates on your resume, in order to avoid age discrimination issues. Though do keep in mind that age discrimination isn't illegal until over age 40.

In your 20s, I don't believe you can get a HSD anymore, but must go the GED route. Which is always better than none.

10. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A disclaimer. I did not read through the entire post.

First __ YOU NEED TO GET THE GED __ You can challenge it -- meaning you can take a test and see if you "pass."

The test is super simple. My brother did it and passed easily. He spent most of high school in a haze of -- well -- I will stop there, but he left high school in the first semester of 12th grade -- and he still managed to get the GED with no issue.

So, it is considered the bedrock of your future. So GET THE GED -- unless someone here knows different.

Considering the trades -- electric, plumb, et al, if what I have heard is true, they are having trouble attracting folks into their apprentice programs. BUT, again, I THINK the apprentice programs all require a GED.

So, not much help -- but I think if you can do the "take a test and get my GED," that MIGHT be a good thing. I also think it would not hurt to make an appointment with a community college advisor and see what they have to say. You do not need to be enrolled to do that -- based on my brother's experience.
    kris.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 for challenging the GED test.
    Like many things in life it’s better to have it and not need it than the other way around!

+1 on talking to a Community College advisor!!!
    One of the advantages of of living in 2020 is that there are a lot of Community Colleges that are laser focused in putting people on path to a career. Many MANY military reservists and vets are using them these days and this means that there are a large number of options for everyone that didn’t exist back in the day.
    This is 2020, and this means that it’s much EASIER to use things like distance learning and other non-traditional education tools to turn something that you’re passionate about into a CAREER, rather than just a job.

Avoid the student loan trap.

Good Luck!

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While this is not the ideal place to reach...you've been given some very sound advice. However, I think the most important things you need are focus, personal drive, and tenacity. Don't dream about what-ifs. Instead, commit to your goal and direction, modify those as you learn more and progress, work your arse off and make all the sacrifices required to get there. No one is going to do this for you. NEVER, EVER forget those that might be kind enough along the way to help...because someone probable did them a solid too.

I wish you the best in life.

#12 frodoz737, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019