1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Driver's side window weatherstripping..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sparky9292, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My weatherstripping is rotting (thanks to the AZ sun) on my driver's side window.

It's the piece of rubber that your elbow would rest on if you had the window down.

I can't find it on PC.com's site.

I'm also looking for a dash mat as well. If someone could give me a recommendation on where to buy these, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

:welcome:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MSRP for the door weatherstrip is $25. Part number 68172-47030.
    ToyoDIY.com

3. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome Patrick!

Really dumb question, there are two parts that point to the same item..

WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR GLASS, INNER RH (68171-47030)

WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR GLASS, INNER LH (This is the one you picked, part 68172-47030)

What does RH and LH mean?

The part that I want to replace is the rubber piece on the outside of the car, not inside.

4. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Right Hand and Left Hand

5. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does that mean RH is the right side of the car and LH is the left side of the car?

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right hand is the passanger side and Left hand is the driver's side

7. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Sparky,
    Where did you end up finding the bolt weatherstripping? I'm in AZ too and mine dissolved in under 3 years. Toyota will meet me half way on price and install, but I'd like to see if there's an aftermarket part somewhere.
    thx

8. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Note that the above part number is the inside strip. For the strip on the outside of the door, it's

MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, RH 75710‑47010
    MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, LH 75720‑47010

9. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got mine from Toyota OEM Parts | Genuine Accessories & Toyota Original Factory Body Parts City Toyota -- for a body part like this, you aren't going to find an aftermarket replacement. Total price with shipping was about $50.

As it turns out, there's a way to replace it without removing the inner door panel. Toyota's service manual does it this way because that's the only way to remove it without damaging it. It's hooked over a lip in the sheet metal on the inner side, so you need to get a tool under that lip to unhook it.

However... it's already damaged, so who cares? :D It's just rubber, so starting at one end tear the outside part off. Once you do that, you can push down the inner part and get it over the hook. Be careful not to drop it inside the door.

You will still need to remove the mirror as it overlaps it. The inner cover (or speaker) just pops off. Remove the three nuts holding the mirror in place. If the metal clip from the inner panel comes off the inner panel, you can get it from the outside once the mirror is off. Likewise for the white push-in clip.

10. Austre

Austre Junior Member

Same problem here. I'm in South California & my window weatherstripping are melted now :(. Mine is a 2007 and my concern is that this situation is going to repeat every 3 yrs. My wife's car is a 2003 Toyota Matrix, however, that car weatherstrips are in perfect condition. I've been trying to maintain my Prius in perfect condition, but apparently this is going to be an endless story. More over, now that I found this problem on my car, I'm paying attention to other Prius and they have the same problem :(. Do you guys think we can get a good response from Toyota????:confused:

11. dwood

dwood New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Prius--The rubber stripping on my driver's side door went within the first 2 and a half years. Three others soon followed. The rear passenger door piece is now letting go. The newest development though, is the six or so inches of rubber on the bottom of the windshield that appears to have been sucked down somehow, and has left the edge of the glass exposed! No leaks so far, knock on wood! Would Toyota have purchase the rubber from China by any chance?

12. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep these are the parts. My local Toyota dealer wants $48 for each of these!! Wth! :mad: I'll go to eBay.

13. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I replaced all four door weatherstripping on my 2005 prius myself. Took me about 30 min to do it.

Alanh's post was generally correct but he left out a few details.
    1. Buy a plastic chisel so you can pry off the old weatherstripping without killing your paint job. (Amazon.com: Car Audio Dash Removal Plastic Pry Tool Yellow 2 Pcs: Car Electronics)
    2. If you have JBL speakers you can just yank them off and it will look like the photo below.
    3. Undo all three of the bolts. Then the rear view mirror can be removed to let it hang.
    4. Don't freak out if the metal or plastic clip stays in the door frame. You can punch it out from the other side.
    5. Use the plastic shim to pry up the door weatherstripping. You want to sorta push it into the window a bit. It will maul the white plastic clip but who cares.
    6. Then with your hand, push in the new weatherstripping until you hear it *click* into place.
    7. The rear doors are really easy since there's no rear view mirror to block anything.

[​IMG]

mandichka likes this.
  14. DarkPri503

DarkPri503 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is my project on our recently purchased 2005. MyToyota records shows it to be a Tuscon, AZ originally off the lot. This was the most glaring issues I found, and us being in the Pacific NW, I'm thinking, is a non-negotiable, must do.

Without adequate weather stripping, where does the water go? Should I be weary of even car washes???

15. tvspaulmoore

tvspaulmoore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I managed to do this... thanks to this thread!

But the white plastic clip which held the speaker in place either vanished as I removed it or fell into the door or was never there... and now I cannot reattach as tightly as it was held in place originally...

Where/how can I get an exact size match replacement clip? I don't have the old one for reference...

16. tvspaulmoore

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just replying to myself in case anyone else sees this and knows the answer to where I can find the plastic clip I need... thanks in advance!

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Visit your local Toyota dealer parts department and ask the clerk for assistance... Maybe you will be able to find the clip in the exploded parts diagram that the clerk can bring up on the PC display.

18. tvspaulmoore

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks- I will try that!

19. dlthames

dlthames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the info. I just installed a new strip in five minutes.

20. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

You will most likely find the metal clip behind the triangle rubber gasket between the mirror and door frame. Remove the three 10mm bolts and pull the gasket away and see if it is there. If it is not there I will post a part number tomorrow when I get to the shop. I ordered 10 of these the last time I thought I lost one and haven't used one since.