1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Feedback from Current Prius Owners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by roxygirl5412, Jun 3, 2006.

1. roxygirl5412

roxygirl5412 New Member

Hi there!

I'm interested in purchasing a 2006 Prius, and I'm just wondering what people think about owning these cars. I'm want to know if they are really happy, how maintenance is with these cars, and also long-term quality.

This is my first car purchase, and I don't want to end up regretting it down the line. I'm a commuter, from San Mateo to San Francisco (where I work and go to school), and think that having a hybrid would be a great investment.

One issue that I've heard is battery replacement and disposal. Plus, I'm also 6'2", so leg and head room are big issues (I have yet to have the chance to test-drive it yet).

Any and all information would be great.

Thanks!

Kim

2. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimberly Flower @ Jun 3 2006, 07:24 PM) [snapback]265375[/snapback]</div>
    I've had mine for 2 weeks, so I cannot comment directly on maintenance, except to say that if Toyota runs true to form, you should have nothing to worry about. We've owned a Camry for 9 years, and it's been one of the most maintenance-free cars I've ever owned.

I am VERY happy with the Prius so far; it's been the funnest car to drive that I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few).

If your commute involves freeway driving, I think you still have time to get the HOV lane stickers, which will almost certainly add to your enjoyment of the car. And you should also qualify for the tax credit, which doesn't hurt.

Regarding whether you fit in the car: the best bet is to go to a dealer and test drive one and see how you fit. I'm not as tall as you and had no problem. Others on this forum who are your height or close have no problem, while some have complained. YMMV I guess, but you should try it out for yourself.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    in almost 16 months and 14750 miles we have done: 2 oil changes, 2 tire rotations, and one warranty alignment job. my husband works in the service department at one of the biggest prius dealers in the nation. in all the service department can see up to 2 dozen prius in a day, and only 1-3 of those come in for anything above and beyond basic maintenance. having seen what can possibly go wrong, he still wouldn't want me driving any other car.

there are no battery replacement and disposal issues. they aren't like regular batteries that are expected to fail. the charge of the battery is strictly controlled to maintain a very long life- expected to last 250k miles or more.

i suggest you take a good look through the forums here. you'll find an incredible wealth of information. there's a search tool located at the top right of the forum pages that will help you find discussions on all of your concerns. good luck in deciding :)

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimberly Flower @ Jun 3 2006, 07:24 PM) [snapback]265375[/snapback]</div>
    Sit in one and see how comfortable it is. There is no known battery replacement. The battery appears to be good for 200k to 300k as measured by Prius taxi cab use. Only a very few batteries have failed. Toyota has a plant to recycle them. The 04> can apparently have individual cells replaced. This is a paper tiger!! I would guess that leg length and torso length etc is more important than total height. You need to get in one. I really like mine. It is a good investment for me, compared to what I was driving. I suppose that a Ford Escape might be a bit less in $ over all but I am willing to pay a premium to reduce the environmental impact. I admit that I am a nut case on the front of driving for maximum MPG at this point, but it is a total game for me. If you just drive it you will do better than most (all ?) cars on the road. That is a warm feeling.

5. roxygirl5412

roxygirl5412 New Member

What is the time limit for the HOV stickers?

I definitely think that would be great with the commute...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Jun 3 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]265388[/snapback]</div>

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have two of them and they both have over 5000 miles on them and they run flawlessly!

As far as height, I think your good.. I'm 6 foot and I have plenty to spare... even the back seat is good.

I wouldn't give mine up for any other car I can think of... I have no regrets!.

But do test drive one first and make sure its what you expect... It was so much more impressed than I what I was expecting that I was a sell within about 30 seconds of driving.. i just knew I had to have one!...

But you may be different and most of all, you need to be comfortable... as for me, my lower back feels much better after having my prius, the lumbar support on the seats are much better than my Jeep Grand Cherekee was.

Happy Hunting!

7. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Our Seaside Blue is 15 months old and has 18k miles on it, so we're still newbies as far as this vehicle goes.

Maintenance? Change the oil and filter on schedule (depends on miles and type of oil and filter). Check tire pressures regularly, look under the hood at fluid levels regularly, add windshield washer when you look at fluid levels. Fill it with gas as needed and drive. That's about it other than regularly letting the dealer look at it. Ours doesn't mind me doing what I wrote, they fill in the voids.

So far, all I've done is looked at fluid levels and never added any that aren't considered normal consumeables.

Does it fit? Why not rent one for a week and check out your body fit in the seats? Take a long drive to be sure. We find it very comfortable but not everyone does.

Dittos what others said regarding the (I assume) Traction battery, it won't normally need replacing. There is a 12v battery that gets changed every 4 or 5 years, same as any other lead/acid battery.

Oh, one more thing. Keep in touch through Priuschat. There is more BS generated about the Prius than you can shake a stick at. You're off to a good start by checking in here first to get the real story.

Now, for what you didn't ask. We absolutely love ours, and no it's just one of many new vehicles we've owned. The wife just likes to drive it, she says it's fun and I can't argue with that. I enjoy driving it also, but I also enjoy the technology. It's got plenty of power and get up and go for normal driving, same for handling too. We like the style outside and the versatility, comfort, and the roominess inside. IMHO, it'll be the ideal car for commuting, especially if you encounter traffic.

8. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimberly Flower @ Jun 3 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]265394[/snapback]</div>
    They will only issue 75000 of the stickers, total. Current scuttlebut has them at about 61000+ or so. They are expected to run out by or shortly after labor day. In the Bay Area, you need to have FasTrak transponder in order to get the sticker from the DMV, since you can be in the carpool lanes across bridges, but must still pay the toll (carpools DON'T pay, hybrids with one driver DO).

Oh, and as current law is constituted, this privelege will expire on 1/1/08. There is a hope that it will be continued, but no guarantees...

9. lynnno1

lynnno1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimberly Flower @ Jun 3 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]265375[/snapback]</div>
    :) Hey Kim, I'm 6'2' (30" inseam) and have to tell you that the best way to see if you like a car (especially one you're spending over $20k on) is to drive it!! I didn't like the Prius that much when I test drove it with the salesman. But circumstances were such that I decided to RENT a Prius. HOO BOY, best car decision I've made in a great while (5 years-Honda van). Anyway, I was able to really check it out. I had to do some serious driving, for me, and ended up putting over 1,000 miles on in one week. BUT, roughly figured out that almost 1/2 the cost of the rental (rental=$225/one week.) was made up in gas savings over the pickup (bad decision-bye bye pickup) I would have driven. Which I've since sold. I got 50 mpg vs. 20mpg at best with the pickup. It handled great on the windy rode we have to travel on the get to civilization. And I didn't spare it on the freeway, doing about 70mph at times for some distances, but mostly close to the speed limit. I almost couldn't believe how well I liked it. Quiet, pretty good on the curves...I'm not driving like I used to w/the MG's I had way back when, but I was still very satisfied. Long story short... signed up for one at local dealer. You want to know what a car is like? Invest a little money...rent one for a week..have a blast!!

10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

11. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maintenance is a snap, and can be done by any qualified mechanic (take it to Toyota for anything to do with the battery, though).

When you get your car, take it to someplace like Discount/America's Tire or Wal Mart, or anyplace that will sell you rotation and balancing every 5,000 for about $10 per tire. Perhaps a Goodyear place will do that, since they're Goodyear tires! Saves a bundle over the dealer doing it if you go there for oil changes. (But oil is SOOOOOO easy--I do my own, and I don't even have to get the car up on ramps!!!)

I'm 5'10" with long legs, and I wish the seat went back a little farther. I also wish the steering wheel telescoped, because I have to straight-arm it to get my hands in the 10 and 2 position. I mostly drive with my hands (well, fingers, mostly) on the bottom part of the wheel. Steering is very easy, but if you're the type who has a death grip on the wheel, you'll probably feel like the car is a bit squirrely since it's so responsive.

(Edited to add that even though I wish there were a couple more inches of leg room, I have done 1,000 miles in one day with no more discomfort than in my Camry.)

THIS IS THE BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Oh, and red is absolutely the best color. Cool chicks might drive black Priuses, but only hot chicks can drive red ones!!!)

:-D

12. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

If you fit you will love it. I test drove one on a whim and 5 minutes in the car sold me. Read the forum's and you will answer most of your questions. BUT rent one for a week if you can. The bad part about that is you have to return it. :( . Don't believe all you read in the news media about cost pay back in 5 years ect. 2006 B. Red with package 5 was 25k less 3150 tax break = $21850. . 2007 camry $22500. with about the same stuff. Prius 48-52 MPG camry 28-32 MPG . If you are driving 25000 miles per year it doesn't take long to save lots of money not to mention how well you help mother earth. (yes the green thing is the best reason). And last the car is fun to drive.

13. Xman

Xman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimberly Flower @ Jun 3 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]265375[/snapback]</div>
    I purchased my 2006 Prius on May 15th and have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised by this car. I am 6'2" and do not have any problems with head room on leg room in the front or back seat.

Like with anything mechanical it can and will break, however before I purchased mine I did extensive research on this and other forums to find out the reliablility of this product. I have had no problems with mine to date.

There are a couple of things that I had on my previous truck that I would change on this car.

1) The doors do not automatically lock once you shift into drive
    2) When you have the window locks on you cannot raise and lower from the drivers controls without first turning the locks off.

These are minor since I am now averaging 50MPG from my previous 17MPG!!! :D

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Great car. Battery will last the life of the car, and in CA is warrantied for 150,000 miles or 10 years. Overall, Toyota has excellent reliability and the Prius is no exception. Additionally, it has no sort of clutch or conventional transmission to wear out or require service. And the brakes are used relatively little (motor-generator 2 does most of the braking by turning the car's kinetic energy into electrical energy, slowing the car and recharging the battery) so the brake pads will last much longer.

Sit in one to find out if it fits you. If it does, you'll love it.

Caveat: This is a Prius enthusiasts' site. You're not going to get much negative opinion here. But we can debunk the lies that some xenophobic commentators are spreading about this revolutionary technology, such as its supposed lack of power (false: it has plenty of power) or the battery issue (addressed above).

15. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

Hello Kimberly... nothing but positive feedback from me on the Prius.

My 2005 Driftwood (Gold) package #4 has 9866 miles - perfect condition, and I'm selling it - if you are interested in a gently used Prius. I'm in AZ, and more info is at www.cars.com - my ad link:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?...ellerFirst=true

either way, the Prius is a great car.
    B)