1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for gaskets to Oil Filter Bracket Sub Assembly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Paxftw, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Paxftw

Paxftw New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    looking for the gaskets to this filter asmbly. what i have attached is all i know. thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're from Oklahoma USA that's just your oil filter mounting assembly that takes the stupid cartridge filters that you have to have the tool to undo the plastic piece what you want to do here if you're fooling around with this is call LKQ or junk yards and get that same aluminum fitting that allows you to use the spin on filter what is it 4967 so you'll never need a tool again to change your oil once you put your own filter on one time you'll be able to hand loosen it throw it in the bucket screw on a new one forever you'll never need a tool never need anything All of these engines were like this after go ahead guys tell them what year model I don't remember your Toyota dealer can help you with this part You can also buy it from other places for much cheaper I think there's two o rings on I'm not sure that there's a gasket they may be lands ground around the circles and o rings stuffed in there like I can't be sure to be honest with you I'm sure there's videos and whatnot all over the net many people have changed from the cartridge type tool filter removal setup to the spin on this is nothing new You may want a source the part from close out buyers . As old as this engine is you don't want to be paying retail for this nonsense. How often thought of doing this to the few 2ZZ that are around here but I have the thing to undo the cartridges it doesn't take me technically any longer to undo the cartridge and put in a cartridge than it does to remove a spin on The only advantage would be is if you were astute you might could jack up one side of the car and reach around through the wheel well to undo the filter and not actually have to get under the car to undo the cartridge We don't use a full lift here often thought about buying one but we're not that deep.

3. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There’s several threads on the conversion that list the part numbers, use the search box at the top of the page

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are 2 "O" rings. Toyota has them.
    Or are you looking to replace the stock housing with the spin on filter?
    You are not very clear about it.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When I converted to the spin on, even when I bought new o-rings, I examined the original ones and found them to be as good as the new ones and used them. 5 years later and 10 oil changes still no leaks.

IMG_7107_zpsdkekk8bl.jpg

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah he “might” be thinking about the two o-rings. Last item in attached Amayama order summary:

Attached Files:

7. Paxftw

Paxftw New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for everyone's help. Yes the gaskets is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the part numbers Mendel. I'm currently having rough start and idles. Now heres a series of questions. 1st image; what is this and is it supposed to be out like that?
    2nd image; timing chain tensioner, should I replace full assembly or just gasket? Also does removing it cause oil to leak from the location?
    3rd image; what do you guys think about that o2 sensor? Is it needing replace or is there a cheaper method if it is needing replace. Oem hurts lol.
    Thank you all, Pax.

IMG_3272.jpg IMG_3263.jpg IMG_3275.jpg

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oil pressure switch, and it's not leaking.

Hard to tell is the tensioner is leaking, you'll have to clean it off and drive it to see.
    And you'll only need to seal/gasket. Some people put permatex on it, just in case.
    If you remove it, make sure you rotate the engine to TDC for #1, and SLOWLY remove it.
    After you reinstall it, rotate the engine backward slowly until you hear it click which releases
    the tensioner. That way there is less chance of the chain jumping a tooth.

There's no reason to replace the o2 sensor unless it is not working.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why is cyl one TDC needed, for timing marks?

Any tricks for determining cyl one is at TDC, say other than something like a dowel in in the spark plug hole? And of course to accomplish that you have remove wipers and cowl.

Also, would it need to be TDC of compression stroke, or doesn’t matter.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking in Repair Manual, timing chain tensioner install is preceded by setting cylinder one piston to TDC of compression stroke, and check of timing chain marks. But this is in the full reassemble process. So is this still necessary, if you're subsequently pulling it out for gasket replacement? Not sure.