1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Gen 2/ Gen 3, need some advice!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Goodsteward, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Goodsteward

Goodsteward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I'm all over the map on this. My dilemma is which to get, and what to look for with the dreaded brake and battery failures.

I have found a lot of local Gen 2 for $5k or less. Some have replaced batteries, some do not. Most do not have the actuator changed. I am torn between just getting a dirt cheap higher mileage Gen 2 with no current issues on all original batteries and parts, getting a cheaper early gen 3 with moderate mileage (130+) on a smaller payment but still risk the normal battery and brake issues, go for a very low mile Gen2/Gen3 for a 150+ payment to avoid the common issues, or find a Gen2 with the actuator and battery both replaced for a bit more money. (Todds in FL has a 2005 like this for around 5k)

So far some of my options for each are:
    2008 with 224k miles on original battery, no issues ever, the battery appears fine - level 2 w/ leather - $3500 Firm
    2004 with 190k miles on original battery, no issues, the battery appears fine - base - $2500 firm.
    2011 with 144k miles, battery getting replaced(still waiting to see what that means, they are a smaller used car dealer), full service history from Toyota (no actuator listed that I can tell, or any brake job info), level 3 trim - Currently $6800 out the door with some slight damage to front bumper. Carfax reported damage, not accident.
    2008 with 165k miles, replaced the battery by a place in Miami still under warranty, everything else seems good. approx $4500

All but the 2011 are private party. With all of those options, I still don't know how to address this. Am I looking at a battery replacement on all of these most likely that hasn't been changed? What about the dreaded actuator failure? Do you a hit a point where if it hasn't failed, it likely won't? The lady with the 224k mile one states they have 2010 with 190k on the original battery, and they have friends with Gen 2s with 300k on the original battery. How common is that?

2. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my 2009 when it had 230K Miles.
    Now we are approaching 260K Miles. Still original traction battery.
    I got lucky on the price but have kept aside $4000 for eventual big ticket item replacements and repair.
    As soon as I bought the car we had new tires replaced, bought a set of wheels and winter tires (like new, $300 on CL), had the transmission fluid changed and had the 12V battery replaced.
    The car is doing okay but is burning a small amount of oil --about 1/2 Quart every 2K Miles or so. I check the oil every other fill up.
    The only thing that has not worked from day one is the driver side front door lock actuator--it needs manual locking and opening. All the other doors are perfect.
    After we get back home from current trip will have the coolant and inverter fluids replaced and get a 'tune up'.
    Simba

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I won't try to tell you which one to choose. But it does seem like miles are less of a factor than age on a Prius, especially with the traction battery.

Also, if the battery has been replaced, make sure it's a new battery and not refurbished. Refurbs don't last long.

4. Goodsteward

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2008 battery replacement was from a place in miami, so it's a refurb. I appreciate the note on that, I've been trying to get some information on the longevity of a refurbished battery. All this talk of "reconditioning the cells" and "making them like new" I read where people hook them to computers and all that. I wanted to know the real world life span vs a new one.

I'm leaning more towards the 2011 just because of it being newer and higher trim level (what I was hoping for). However, I'm 6ft 280lbs and I've read that a Gen 2 fits better. I'm going to test drive the 2008 and 2011 tomorrow hopefully to know which I prefer. There are none around me to test drive, so I have to drive off to another town. All this work figuring this out, and I don't even know what it's like to drive one. lol I've been in my friends 2009, but literally just around the block.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2009 seem to be a very good year...maybe 2008 not sure

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you like learning about and working on cars? Now that a new set of batteries for hybrid pack from Toyota is only $1995, if I were you I'd find a low mileage one that someone wants to sells quick for cheap because "replace hybrid battery" light went on and they don't want to deal with it. If you don't like learning and working on cars the 2011 or something similar is probably best. But the mark up in cost that a used car dealer puts on it, combined with their reputation for telling you what you want to hear, rather than the truth... Buying one from private owner is how I'd do it.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can't afford to replace the battery and actuator, i would buy a corolla or some such.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely smart to drive both before deciding. My PiP is like a gen 3. A coworker who's well over 6' tall and way way over 300 pounds says mine has more room in the front passenger seat than his wife's late model Civic. But he still looks like he'd be more comfortable in a Freightliner. :D

9. Goodsteward

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My friend who owns a2009 is like that. around 6'1 and over 400lbs. Loves his 09! :)

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Goodsteward

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just spoke to one dealership. They will install a used actuator for 520. So you could find a lower milage actuator and have it installed for around $750-$800. What you gys think of that?

11. Goodsteward

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see this reply a lot on these types of threads, and I have looked into it. The thing I'm looking for (and correct me if I'm wrong), I am looking for a cheaper one that is well below value (like that 2011), and IF I run into those issues and have to replace it I still SHOULD have a 100-150k vehicle to use still. Would that be a correct assumption?

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely. just make sure you're prepared for any event. all the best!(y)

Simbaboy likes this.
  13. Goodsteward

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll update this one over the other I had started as well. Looks like I am dipping my foot into the pools of old Prius country. I found a 2007 base model with only 135k miles on it, good condition at a used car dealer apparently wanting to just be rid of it. They had it listed at 4,995 to start with which is right at retail. I saw it on craigslist for 3995, and when I inquired about the out-the-door price, they emailed me a bill of sale of only $3200 taxes and all! For that cheap, I'll take my chances so long as it looks good and everything works. I'm going Thursday to see it in person (it's an hour away) and probably just buy it. I plan to use my rewards card and get 100bucks in rewards to make it that much cheaper. lol

The only thing they were needing to do is replace the 12v. It has a good history at dealerships with the water pump being replaced at 97k.

jerrymildred likes this.