1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for good portable cordless tire inflator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaguaraja, Mar 16, 2005.

1. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

i've seen a Campbell Hausfeld model that looks good, but the gauge is measured every 5 psi and the lines on the gauge are so close together. It would be tough to get an accurate psi reading.

Anyone here recommend another model?

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pressure gages on portable inflators are not really all that accurate. If you want to get accurate inflation pressure you should always carry a separate tire pressure gage. I like the long stick kind myself, however they vary greatly in quality. I got lucky and found one that measures pressure in 1psi increments. Some of them only measure in 5psi increments. That is usually a low quality gage. I don't see too many of the round gage types myself where I live. I must not be looking in the right places. But I know they are out there.

I also saw the Campbell Hasufeld compressors at Wallyworld and was not impressed. I got lucky and found a nicer looking unit on a clearance end cap for $11.00. It is battery operated, sealed lead acid and has plenty of power. I figured that for $11 if it died on me early, then it wasn't such a bad deal. However that was luck, and frankly I dislike Wal-Mart and haven't been back since my loss of self control.

12v inflators seem to be the most common, however if you can find a 110v unit and use it at home or in your garage, that would be better. They are usually heavier duty and have a lot more power.

3. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got one at Target. It is great and only cost about $20 or so. It is rechargable and can also be plugged into the 12v in the car. I have no idea what it is called but I can check when I get home if you would like.

I agree that the gauge is very unacurate. I have a good gauge that I use to measure to psi.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's mine:
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...0&bidsite=CRAFT

I got it at Sears and I think it's pretty cool. The pressure gauge is digital and removable. So I pull the out of the cargo area, detach the gauge and check all the pressures. If they need it, I put the gauge back on the pump and top them off. Plugs into the lighter outlet (I use the one on the passenger side).

I'm very comfortable with the Craftsman brand and trust them.