1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for guidance - battery reconditioning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Corfish, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I've got an 07 with 190k and the ecu started throwing codes for the hybrid battery. I tore it open and found a single bad cell and replaced it without attempting to load balance since it was only a tenth of a volt higher than the rest. Problem came back, so I tried torque pro and the only clue that gave me was the error codes which seemed to point to several different bad blocks while the voltage monitors on torque pro showed no discrepancy and looked normal.

I think I know where I have to go next, but I have to confirm: would a single cell being .1v higher than the rest cause random cells to throw weak cell codes? Can I get away with balancing only the outlying cell? The rest are within .03v of each other so I don't see what balancing the whole pack would do.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

get tech stream, and read read the battery building threads. it is a lot more complicated than you are thinking.

all the best!(y)

3. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In other words my situation still warrants re balancing every cell?

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Open the battery and take a look at the voltage sensing wire ring terminals and the crimp connectors. Also check out the orange plug that goes to the battery. Checking them for any corrosion or breaks.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The absolute voltage of each cell is more important than the balance.
    Nowhere in your post did you tell us what the cell voltage IS.
    Maybe they ALL are low.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Corfish,

x2 on eric's post

There are a few members here who have significant experience disassembling and reassembling the batteries. You have a great pool of knowledge to draw from. Don't worry so much about a 0.1 volt difference between modules. As a test (and documented in this forum) I installed a module that was somewhere around 0.3 or 0.4 volts different into a pack that had a single failed module. It worked fine. Don't get caught up in sweating minor voltage differences. A module with a bad cell will drop down to about 6.4 volts. That's where problems really start.

Let's start from the very beginning, since I-net troubleshooting can sometimes go off track.....
    What were the original codes?
    What did you use for your replacement criteria to determine which module to pull out?
    Did you disconnect 12v battery while working on the HV battery? (this will reset all codes)
    What codes came back and when?
    Did you have any problems getting the car to start after the repair?
    Were you able to drive the car after the initial battery repair?

I also agree that the current range of module/block voltages would be good info.

Skibob likes this.
  7. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, TMR. I've added my responses to each bullet point in red below.

Note: I have not tried load testing or balancing yet

Good point, they are all 7.59-7.62 with the replacement sitting at 7.70V

Thank you, Eric. Terminals, crimps, and orange plug are all clean.

#7 Corfish, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2019
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cor,

Take a look through this thread:

Dorman HV Battery with a new lease on life..... | PriusChat

This is a Dorman rebuilt battery that failed in a fellow forum members car. In the first few posts, there is a spreadsheet where I recorded each modules voltage and then did a discharge of each one to document how much energy was in each. You'll notice there can be modules with full voltage, but very little capacity. You could be running into something similar. A module like that would easily throw a code.

9. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perfect! Thanks for digging that up.

10. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TMR- Could you recommend what to use for charging and discharging during testing? Could I get away with one of the singles or is this a job for one of those quad chargers?

In the meantime while I wait on that to ship, would it suffice to simply discharge each one with a headlight and record the amount of time it takes to get to 5.8V on each cell?

Sorry, as I continue to read I keep coming up with more questions. What is the reason to discharge and charge each cell multiple times? How is this different from the way the car discharges and charges them?

#10 Corfish, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Real question is how much time you have on your hands.
    There are 28 modules.
    If you do one a day, that will take you about a month.

For example charging at 1amp, a 6.5amp hour cell takes about 6.5 hours from empty to full.

Yes you are doing it much differently than the car. You are going far beyond the car's parameters. The car never takes it to 100%. The car never take it near 0%. Bit you can.

You can do the battery drain test in whatever manner you please. There isn't a single "right way"that folks follow. Whatever you use, apply it consistently. The car wants modules that are similar to each other. You can build pretty crappy pack and as long as it is consistent, the car will tolerate it.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for all the noob questions, but I do appreciate the help. I think I'm starting to understand.

-Do the columns in TMR's spreadsheet post represent the capacity of each cell based on how much energy it discharges? and that's what the balance charger displays after a discharge cycle? If so, does attaching a head light to the cell and observing how long it takes to drain to 5.8V accomplish the same as monitoring the discharge capacity on the balance charger?

-When you say modules that are similar to each other and being crappy- this means they all discharge the same amount whether it be 4000mAh or 6500mAh, lending to the idea that the battery is only as strong as it's weakest cell?

I tried hooking a cell up to a motor from an electric drill and it was ridiculously slow to discharge.. something like .05V after a minute, so I gave up. I'm guessing it just didn't have the current draw of a headlight bulb.

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Corfish,

Yes, each column was the amount of mAh discharged from that module. I have enough chargers that I can do all 28 modules simultaneously, so it saves a lot of time.

Yes, the battery is only as good as it's weakest module.

The great thing about the Prius is that the brain cares more about balance than overall capacity when it comes to normal operation. Overall capacity makes a big difference in how long the engine will stay off when at a redlight, running the AC, etc, which also results in better MPG.

You can think of it like this. If I could find a place that sold custom batteries, let's say I buy 28 brand new modules rated for 2000mAh capacity. I also buy 28 modules rated for 10,0000 mAh capacity. I build 2 HV batteries and install each into a different car. In the big picture, the cars are both going to work. Each of the 28 modules in each battery will react almost exactly the same as the other 27 when put under load, resulting in no big differences in voltage between the 28 modules.. The 10,000 mAh battery is going to be able to supply power for a MUCH longer time before the engine needs to run to replenish it. It can accelerate harder and longer, it can run the AC longer, it can run on electric for longer periods, all resulting in better MPG. The 2000mAh battery, under light conditions, would be almost indistinguishable from the 10,000mAh battery.

Now, if I accidentally installed one of those 2000mAh modules in the other battery, it would probably code out the first time I tried to pull out into traffic under heavy throttle, since the voltage on that module would drop much lower than the other 27.

If I accidentally installed one of the 10,000mAh modules in the other battery, it would also probably code out because that single module would hold a much higher voltage under heavy load, potentially tripping the delta V limit. All the ecu looks at is the highest and lowest block voltage to determine if a problem exists.

14. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great explanation, thanks! One more as I experimentally charge and discharge with my single imax b6 that may or may not be working correctly. Is it normal for a cell to take over 3 hours to completely discharge to ~6 volts @ 1 amp?

15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes. A new module is rated for 6500mAh. A 1 amp discharge would be 1000mAh, so it would actually take 6.5 hours to fully discharge a new, fully charged module.

Your B6, if I remember correctly, is rated for a 5 watt power dissipation, so although set to 1 amp, it's probably discharging at about 0.7 amps, and will slowly increase (but never exceed 1 amp) as the module voltage drops. (watts=voltage x current)

Are you performing these charges/discharges while the module is clamped in the pack? If you don't have it clamped, you're going to experience some fatal swelling of the module. I always leave mine clamped for minimum 1 day with cooling air flowing after cycling, just to make 100% certain no swelling will occur when clamps are released. It's a bit overkill, but it works for me.

16. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great question. Yes, I am working with the entire pack clamped. That is a hellacious amount of time. I actually thought something was wrong with this chinese piece of crap I got off of ebay. One of the buttons didn't work, so I wouldn't have been surprised if the whole module was trash.

What kind of duration should I expect on the charge?

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That will depend on your settings. If you program a 2 amp charge with a 8000mAh limit, it will charge for about 4 hours and 20 minutes. It will charge for several minutes, then stop to check for voltage droop, then start charging again. It will do this continually, until it either detects delta peak voltage, hits the programmed max mAh, or programmed time limit. The delta V is what a charger uses to determine a battery is at it's full charge condition.

18. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    makes sense. my charges are lining up with what you said.

now, i went through two cells and they had no problem charging up to 6500 mAh and they swelled up a bit and topped out around 8V.

I'm current looking at one that's been discharging for 5 hours, has dissipated ~1500 mAh, and is still at 7V (started from 7.7 or so). What does this mean? Should I kill the discharge and start charging? Seems like there's nothing left to discharge, but I'm not sure why the voltage is still so high.

19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is it displaying for amperage on the discharge?
    A NiMH battery has a plateau at ~7.2 volts so hanging out at 7ish for a bit isn't unusual. Discharging only 1500mAh over 5 hours if set to 1 amp (actual ~0.7) is odd.

20. Corfish

Corfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is an oddball, then. It was discharging at 1 amp. It picked up a bit after that, I think maybe it lasted 8ish hours overal but there was nothign strange aside from the extended duration.

Here's a question: Is there any significance in observing the discharge mAh as opposed to the charge mAh? The few cells I've gone through I assume haven't been fully charged when I start the D>C cycle and only put out like 3k, but they go on to charge up to 6500 mAh without a problem. Is it safe to say these cells are fine?