1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Fernando Araiza, Apr 24, 2023.

1. Fernando Araiza

Fernando Araiza New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am changing out the passenger side, hub, ball joint and control arm and everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.

I'm calling it a day l, I've spent the best part of the day dealing with the bolt of the control arm that is blocked by the oil filter housing. I listened the mounts and raised the engine but the bolt was so tight that I could t get it with 2 different impact wrenches nor a breaker bar. Finally after 3 hours it finally gave. Now I can't get that same bolt to catch. Any help on how to align that bolt would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Fernando Araiza

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Deleted

#2 Mendel Leisk, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't know how you've done this I'm trying to imagine this in my mind I remove the whole aluminum piece with the lower ball joint and the two bolts disconnected at the strut I don't understand what part of the oil filter is fouling who I'll have to go lift up my car to go look and see how you've managed to do this.? I never changed the hubs any other way so I don't really know any other way I don't change the lower ball joint ever without changing the hub bearing the sway bar end link and all that at one time I usually try and do all this at once if I'm lucky I'll even be putting struts in the front so all this stuff can come out as one big assembly almost and there's nothing fouling anything everything blast loose and drops right out one handed almost.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pretty sure the sticking point is the changing of the lower control arm. I've seen other threads that report how one of those bolts can't be removed with the engine in place, and describe undoing some engine mounts and shifting it out of the way so the bolt clears.

Mendel Leisk likes this.