1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for insight steering shake

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Toy Boy, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Toy Boy

Toy Boy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have been reading forums but cannot find much info on this problem. Here is my story: I purchased a second hand 2000 Prius for my wife about a year ago and the car has been awesome. A few months ago she started experiencing a steering vibration only at low speed when cold and steering wheel turned sharply.
    It got worse till you could feel a slight vibration when even going straight, I tried to scan the OBDII for faults but my scanner would not even work on the Prius. I search online and bought a U380 OBDII scanner but since it would take a while to get to me I decided to disconnect the 12v to reset the computer (and fix my map lights while disconnected) when I reconnected the 12v the car started ran for about 10 seconds then cut out with the red triangle showing. I thought maybe I had done something wrong and the immobilizer had cut the engine, went inside to check my manual I had bought(cd version) on my computer and google search but found nothing. Went out and disconnected the battery again and reconnected with same results. After some more searching went to car and it started right up no triangle.
    Here is the strange part, for the next several days the steering was great no shake at all and even the slight vibration was gone. Over the next few weeks it has slowly been coming back again but still not near as bad as it was, I finally got my scanner and scanned it but it shows no codes.
    I have not seen anywhere where anyone has successfully repaired this type of problem without replacing the whole steering rack but maybe I am missing something, anyway I have a couple of questions in my quest not to replace the rack.
    1) Is it possible that it has the zero adjust error and my scanner is not reading it?
    2) My repair manual(although it does not seem very good) shows resistors with some kind of contacts in with the torque sensors, is it possible these contacts just need cleaning?
    I am interested in any opinion to this and am prepared to disassemble the rack before replacing it.
    Just to make this problem more interesting I am in New Zealand and this Prius was literally made in Japan. (Even my display is in Japanese)
    Thanks, Charles

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Your symptoms are consistent with the 'tin whisker' hypothesis that some folks at Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) are looking at. It turns out there may be a way to "burn out" the whiskers with a 9V battery or wall-wart. However, my associates at GSFC may want to speak with you directly before we take any corrective action. If not, I would like to talk you through the procedure.

One other less attractive option is to pull the fuse for the power steering module and make it a manual steering car. A friend who lives about 50 miles South of Huntsville near Blountsville has a dash switch that he can turn it on and off from the cabin of the car. When parking, it can be turned on for assistance. My understanding is at highway speeds, power assistance is not needed and some prefer the improved 'feel.'

I'll send you my contact info and we can talk about the options.

Bob Wilson

3. Belltopper

Belltopper New Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    I

How did your resolve this issue?
    I also have a 2000 Prius Jap import in New Zealand with the severe steering shake at 132,000Km. I was wondering if the US warranty extension on this problem applies in NZ?
    Belltopper

4. Brad H

Brad H New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I had the same problem, it got so bad, that it was a danger to drive. I had a workaround, and pulling the fuse was one of them, but when I had this issue, the car was not that old, 5 years or so. Anyhow, I took it to the dealership, who were quite smug about it, and said that there's no warranty, nor any recalls. But then after the accelerator issue and public relations debacle that Toyota endured with the Prius and other models, I decided to try talking to the dealership again. Wow! I was given the red carpet, and they fixed the problem for free! They said that it was a loose screw inside the steering column. Not sure if they were telling the full truth on the fix for that, but it was great to have if fixed for free! And I've been driving the car even now today with no further issues with the steering. Although now my traction battery is going bad, it will still drive on the freeway, all that with 221,000 on the car! Not a bad run for a little car!
    I do hope you get the steering issue fixed, because I too had the intermittent jerking effect on the steering wheel while going down the freeway, not a pleasant experience!
    Just tell your dealer that this is a dangerous situation, that other Prius year models DO have a recall on this problem. If they give you the cold shoulder on it, then call Toyota and take it up the chain, keep explaining how this could be a potential dangerous situation, and that other people outside of the model year had theirs fixed for free. I am one of those, and hopefully, you can get it taken cared of.
    Good Luck!

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is really unlikely that a 2000 Japan domestic market vehicle will have any warranty coverage from Toyota New Zealand, since the car was not intended to be sold outside Japan.