1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Model 3 benchmark data

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Mar 9, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I use the EPA roll down metrics to generate performance curves for mph vs MPG. So far, the EPA has listed "Long Range Model 3" and "Long Range AWD Model 3" metrics but they need calibration benchmark data to correct for unknowns.

What I need are user benchmarks, 10 miles (16 km) at a constant speed with the watts/mi (or mi/kWh) along with the temperature. BTW, I can handle metric as well as SAE units. The 10 miles should be either on a circular route (i.e. a by-pass loop around town) or two, opposite direction runs at the same speed. This takes out most of the elevation and wind effects. In an ideal world, temperatures above 50 F (10 C) make it easier for me.

Based on the preliminary chart data, three speeds are needed:
    • ~25-40 mph - this helps identify the fixed overhead, the kWh expended with car rolling
    • ~45-55 mph - this covers the middle of the high speed range
    • ~65-85 mph - this covers the upper hight speed range
    I can then adjust the curves to more accurately match the car's true performance over all speed ranges. Having the chart, we'll have a guide to handle maximum range conditions for:
    • "Long Range Model 3"
    • "Long Range AWD Model 3"
    Bob Wilson

ps. Current chart without calibration benchmark data:
    [​IMG]
    left Y - HP required at different speeds
    right Y - estimated range at different speeds

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bob - have you heard of "Turo"? In short, it's like renting a car from a private person, similar to Uber/Lyft that uses the owner of the car to drive you around, only with turo you drive yourself around. You can puck a car for a day, or multiple weeks. Someone plowed into the back end of our Pacifica plug in as we re-entered California a couple days ago. It's going to be sometime before we get it back, so we found plugin Pacifica on Turo. We will use it for 2 to 3 weeks. $55/day. Since you make those occasional trips through the Nashville area, you may want to give this procees a try, for the duel benefit checking out the car & running your numbers for building charts. Using the car yourself allows you to even factor in different weather conditions for this time of year. Of course, the other way is to take advantage of Tesla's offer to Buy then return if you don't like it. Which ever way is more cost-effective.

Edit
    The downside was I had to drive 40 miles one way just to get the van as it's not exactly a common item on their inventory. Tesla? Quite a few around here I would have only had to drive 10 miles, which was within a free pickup and delivery service

#2 hill, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes I have but until 10 days ago, no Standard Range Model 3 were available. Depending upon schedules, it is likely I may get the benchmarks I want BEFORE I get mine. But I figured it was worth asking.
    Calm my friend. If someone shares my curiosity, I'm willing to use their benchmark data. If NOT, it doesn't matter as I'll have my own test article coming soon and confidence in that owner's ability to conduct a credible set of benchmarks. This is NOT something that has to happen soon.

Bob Wilson

4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I advise waiting until you can perform these tests yourself in your own car or a rental car. This will allow standardization for same driving technique, passenger payload, type of wheels/tires, terrain, temperature, environmental conditions (wind), state of charge, etc. Performing these tests with anecdotal evidence from random drivers and questionable conditions will result in "data" that is subject to dispute.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #5 bwilson4web, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One insight I've gain is do a slower speed early in a long segment. Bank that and adjust as needed to keep the arrival buffer. In effect:
    • Initial 10-15% - moderate speed, low side of cruise
    • Middle 15-85% - normal speeds, don't go nuts, use autopilot to follow trucks, trailers, e.t.c.
    • Last 85-100% - yippee ... "I gotta pee!"
    Bob Wilson

markabele and iplug like this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    supercharging strategy - as described by many owners over the years - also turns on how far one is between QC's /super chargers. In other words, it's been shown to take more trip time by driving (exaggeration ahead) like a granny, & arriving with more in reserve - than it does by driving quick to the QC / supercharger - where most of your charging will be on the bottom end of the battery which allows for quicker recharge times. This was the process used by the model 3 record Cannonball Run.

#7 hill, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    iplug likes this.
  8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    With supercharger V3 even more so.

markabele likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sometimes called “tickling the dragon”, I’m OK if others choose a smaller margin. I can only work from facts and data I have confirmed. But I am willing to test.

Bob Wilson

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i recall how often Bob deliberately ran out of gas in his early Prius days .... this is a guy who at least back in the day - didn't mind pushing the envelope, in the name of data.
    (y)

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Anecdotal data from verified model 3LR owners appears to indicate that the most efficient operating range for the 3LR is where the two lines cross - 75/80 mph, in terms of long range cruising to minimize stops/length of time charging at, specifically, a Supercharger station. This doesn't work for me since I am a speed limit driver in Californation - 65/70 mph. At my age, it is not necessary for me to cover a distance in the least amount of time. I'm in no hurry. Nothing beats taking a nap in reclined model 3 seats for 30 minutes while at a Supercharger station. It doesn't bother me that I arrive at a location 30/60 minutes later, at the end of the day, than someone who is pushing their endurance to the limits.

12. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Bob - I'm starting to absorb Model 3 data now that the price/performance ratio has become so alluring.

bisco likes this.