1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Plug and Play BRIGHTER Headlight Replacements

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by LuvMy2010, Dec 30, 2013.

1. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My OEM headlights are not bright enough for me. I want to upgrade to something brighter, but don't want to mess with wiring, fuses, relays, etc... What does everyone suggest for a brighter bulb without all the hoopla?

2. VTAERO

VTAERO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had tried the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra, but they only lasted a couple of months. Well short of what I thought would be a year. I'm looking too.

I found mine on Amazon about 35$ for the pair. Walmart had them for almost 70$. Glad I looked on Amazon. But now I'm not happy about the longevity.

Nexus 7 ? 4

3. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A 35w digital HID kit doesn't need a relay or anything like that. Yeah, you still need to hide the ballasts, but you can use all of the OEM wiring.

In my experience, silverstars and other super bright halogens are expensive and have a fairly short lifespan. You can get an HID kit for the same price and the bulbs will last way longer. I've had bulbs last three years before they began to change color.

Also, it's worth knowing that you pretty much need to move the coolant tank to change the bulb in the passenger side, so better to do it once and not worry about it for a while.

4. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have zero mechanical ability. I did add a second horn to my prius and that took every ounce of mechanical know how I have. So, keeping that in mind. Could I change to an 35w digital HID kit myself? How easy is it to do?

5. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    An HID kit would be best but it does require a bit of tinkering so I would not recommend it if you don't want to mess with mounting the little ballast boxes although that is basically all that needs to be done since HIDs just plug in to the existing wiring like a bulb.

That said, if you just want to replace your stock halogen bulbs with better ones, look for a 'xenon', 'ultra' or 'crystal' type bulb (H11, 55w) like these:

Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive

It gives off a more pure white light rather than off white like the stock ones. These tend to be slightly brighter as well, but also do not last quite as long.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've used PIAA bulbs, but am not sure if I have a fair brightness comparison as it is replacement for blown bulbs.

SCH-R530M ?

7. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Piaa, Hella, Phillips are all good. I'd just buy the cheapest of the 3.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would add thay for whatever reason, the lamps come from the factory pointed way low. Me and others here re-aimed and found a vast improvement from the stock bulbs.

9. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Mine seem just about right but how do you move them up?

10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try xexonsupply. They have a true plug/play kit and a video showing how-to on an actual Prius.

tedjohnson likes this.
  11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it might be the later models have set better. to adjust, there is an adjustment shaft towards the rear of the headlight housing. rotate to adjust up or down. thereis a good thread with all the details i cant remember off hand. :)

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm using modified H9 65w bulbs in my Camry and they are definitely brighter than stock (H11 55w). Some of the reviews on Amazon specifically mention substituting H11 bulbs with H9 bulbs for an easy upgrade over stock:

Amazon.com: Philips H9 Standard Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1: Automotive

You just need to modify 2 things on the H9 bulbs to get them to fit on your H11 lowbeam harness connector and to fit in the H11 mounting socket in the back of the headlight housing.

SCH-I535

13. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    They are supposed to carry 1 year warranty

14. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do you raise them.

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At the back of the headlight housing there is a wheel with serrations on it, kind of looks like a small silver bottle cap. It also has a small, 8 mm bolt head on the back of it. I find it easiest to use this 8mm bolt to adjust the aim. Turn the wheel with a socket wrench counter clockwise to raise the projectors, and clockwise to lower the aim. I look at the serrations on the wheel and count how many notches I move the wheel when turning, if that makes any sense lol.

SCH-I535

16. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Will have to look at them

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regarding aim. You want to use a flat, level area with a wall about 30 ft away. The cutoff line on the wall should be slightly below the height of your headlight height at the car.

You definitely don't want your beams to be rising upward from your lights or they'll be glaring into oncoming drivers eyes.

SCH-I535

18. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's not terribly difficult. Check this out.

19. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That kit looks easy enough! There's a separate high beam bulb though, correct? I've read a post somewhere about a guy putting an LED in place of the high beam. I wonder if it serves any purpose other than matching the HID bulbs.

20. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The H9 upgrade is simple and effective, increasing output from, iirc, ~1250 lumens to ~2300. Effective and very cheap. Be very careful if adjusting aim to follow procedure with measurements with the car loaded on a very level surface. There is the potential to put out a lot of glare to oncoming drivers if you get it wrong.