1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for rear bumper protector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scott_R, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm looking for something to protect the rear bumper of my '08 Prius, mainly for when loading and unloading my bicycle.

I'm aware of the black bumper guard, but I don't think that's adequate--some time ago, I accidentally gouged out a good-sized chip, and I'd looked getting the standard black guard to both cover that up and prevent more damage, but the bumper guard didn't extend far enough to either cover it or protect against similar damage (the chip was just under the "A" in "TOYOTA").

The car was just touched up after someone hit it, and the bumper is again pristine; I'd like to keep it that way. I was considering the appliqué, but have read over and over what a PITA it is to apply. I was considering just getting one of those mover's padded blankets and draping it over the bumper when loading the bike.

Any thoughts?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I purchased the one for the previous model Matrix, and cut about 3" off each end. Works fine. If I were doing it again, or if I have to remove it for any reason, I will cut "drain channels" in the double sided tape they use to fasten it to the bumper cover. It is a "dam" that holds a bit of water in front of it in wet conditions. It does extend over the rear edge and seems to be effective enough to protect the paint.

Don't know if the GIII one will fit. It doesn't cover as much.