1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for vegan(-friendly) Prius. Leather steering wheel is the last problem-is SofTex a solution?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ziidgaa, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Ziidgaa

Ziidgaa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I was looking the last couple of months (while driving myself crazy) to choose the right car for my needs. Toyota Prius in my number 1 choice (and there is no number 2 or more at this moment). But although finding nice used (therefore with a friendly price) Prius with upholstery cloth is quite easy, I'm having problems to find non-leather steering wheel.

I don't want to buy one with leather and re-do the steering wheel. I'd like it to be without leather as it is.

I was told that Prius comes generally with a leather cover on the steering wheel. But I've learned a bit about the SofTex material. THB, I'd be happy with a simple plastic finish (although I'm very much against plastic in general... but that's mainly my concern when it's about shopping bags for one use and so) - or simply anything but leather.

Does anyone here know what models of Prius are without a leather steering wheel? How to easily navigate through? Dealers selling used ones are not 100% sure, Toyta representative says all Prius generally comes with leather steering wheel...

Am I doomed and not getting my Prius because I cannot get one without leather? (I cannot get myself custom made, I'm aiming for a used one.)

If it would be of help, I'm looking for car to buy in the UK.

Any ideas how to find a Prius with those specifications are highly appreciated!

vegan likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SofTex is available in Japan and North America but I believe outside of those two regions, real leather is used for the leather seat surfaces and the steering wheel.

Do the base models still come with a leather-wrapped steering wheel? I thought they came with the urethane wheel. Only the mid spec (T4 and higher or the Business Edition and higher) come with a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

SFO likes this.