1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for winter driving tips

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Globalgirl13, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Globalgirl13

Globalgirl13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi Prius Chat Members,

I have two questions:

First, does anyone have any tips for keeping mileage low in winter months? Is this even possible? I only drive 16 minutes to work, with lots of small elevations and stop lights for about 10km, and I am often at 6L/100 km or higher once I reach work. I try to pulse and glide and drive in EV range as often as I can.

Also, I am wondering why my engine kicks automatically when my car is has already warmed up with a full battery? Does anyone else experience this? That also kick my litres up.

I only averaged 533 km on my last tank of gas and haven't been able to get higher than 600 km since I bought it in mid October.

Right now I'm averaging around 41mpg for my American friends.

Thanks for any advice.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a block heater will pre warm your engine so you don't have to go through the full warm up process, and you get quicker cabin heat as a bonus. do you have somewhere to plug in?

i think the engine cools down and has to enter the final warm up phase again. are you in eco mode?

3. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi Bisco,

Yes, I am ALWAYS in Eco mode :)
    Now I just need to learn how to use a block heater! I've never needed one in my other cars - but that's because I wasn't watching my consumption as close.

Thanks again for the advice!

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure. you have it installed at the dealer, then you just plug it in at night.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  5. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Ahhhhh! Good to know. Can it be plugged in all night? Will that damage the car in any way?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How long is your commute? The more you can avoid short trips starting with cold engine, the better. If possible, consolidate trips.

I'd second bisco' block heater suggestion. Installed price is somewhere under $250, indicated on Toyo Canada website. 2 hours is a good time. It's not a mirical worker, but will raise coolant temp around 20C above ambient, a help.

Also, check your tire pressures, winter tends to drop them.

Winters can be pretty brutal in TO.

Anyway, don't sweat kms per tank, don't run it low. If you want to monitor, stick to liters/100 km, per tank.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    her commute is 10 km, one way. can you put it on a timer?

8. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks guys.
    I'll look in to the block heater. But do I need to get the dealer to install? What about the deals at Canadian Tire? What has been your experience?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose anyone can do it. mendel will know better than me.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leaving it plugged in all night will cost more in electricity than it saves in gas. Use a timer set to limit the warmup time to two or three hours.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  11. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I recently bought a block heater for $100 from my local Toyota dealer and installed it myself. The process is pretty straightforward, if you're interested you can take a gander at this YouTube video I put together describing how it's done.

I also bought this "Little Buddy" car interior warmer from Canadian Tire. I didn't permanently mount mine, when I want to use it I just place it inside the car on top of the cup holders, point it towards the driver's door, and run the cord out the bottom of the passenger door. The cord is flat and the door fully closes easily on it.

I go out to the garage and plug both in about an hour or two before I plan to use the car, but if you leave at the same time every day it would be simple enough to use a timer. Just be sure to get one that can handle the load.

Winters aren't all that terribly cold here in Vancouver, but I've become addicted to having a nice cozy car, and a side benefit is that the engine doesn't run as long or as often in order to produce cabin heat. I drive with the climate control system set to "recirculate", and in the odd case where the windows start to fog up a bit I punch the "front defrost" button for the short time it takes them to clear.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  12. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks for the great advice, as usual. You folks are amazing.
    I have lots more questions ... more to come later.
    Cheers.

13. dborn

dborn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi GlobalGirl,
    My wife manages to get 4.8 - 5.2 l/100km on short 10km trips to work. She uses a block heater on a timer that kicks in automatically 2 hours before she leaves. That's after I gave her this trick. Before, she was getting in the low 6's:

Whenever you're stopped for more than a few seconds, turn off the heat and the engine will stop right away. As soon as you start moving again, turn it back on. I wish the "eco" mode would do that automatically (or perhaps with a "super-eco" mode?). Unless it's really cold, like in the -15's or less, you should see your consumption get better. I do that all the time with my TCH for *my* 10km run to the train station. That helps me keep it under 7l/100km as this car is good on longer distances but not as much as the C on short ones.

Hope this helps,
    Daniel

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  14. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi Daniel!

Great advice coming from a fellow Canadian who deals with snow and cold temperatures. I will heed the advice of you, Sean, Mendel and Bisco and buy my first block heater. I'm also glad to hear that your wife was getting similar numbers to me on her short ride to work. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the car. Everyday I am learning something new! For example, I came home on Sunday night with "20 kms" worth of fuel left in my tank. On my way to work Monday morning, it was particularly cold here (-19 with windchill). I just happened to look at my cruising kms and there were "8 kms" left!!! I was only 5k away from home! I am guessing that my engine took A LOT more fuel to warm up than usual, which ate in to my cruising kms. I almost ran out of gas! Now I know to not let it get too low!

Anyways, I thank you for taking the time to write to me. There are many elements to this little car!

Cheers,

Deb

15. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks so much! I will definitely watch your video Sean!!!

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That remaining distance is just a forecast based on average history, and can't possibly know the actual details of the upcoming trip segments that can cause enormous changes in fuel consumption. Engine warmup can cost a lot of fuel. All this means that the range remaining can change much more -- or less -- than the actual distance you drive.

Fortunately, that display leaves a significant safety margin or buffer, so you were not anywhere near as close to running of fuel as you thought.

But because of the inherent lack of any real accuracy, the equivalent display in my other vehicle always rounds the number to the nearest 10 miles, then completely blanks it out when it falls to 30 miles (i.e. 50 km). The blank display is supposed to scare drivers into REFUELING NOW!

Don't get into a habit of playing brinksmanship with low fuel, especially in conditions where you don't want to walk a long distance if you screw up and actually run out of gas. Lots of people have pushed it just a bit too far.

#16 fuzzy1, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Globalgirl13 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Fortunately, that display leaves a significant safety margin or buffer, so you were not anywhere near as close to running of fuel as you thought.
    Thank you! I was wondering if I could wait to fill it. I was running late for work, but decided to fill up when I had "2 kms" left, as opposed to waiting until after work.

18. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Just a quick question, Daniel. How many km's does your wife typically get on one tank of gas? ... in the weather we have been experiencing this winter (pre block heater days, if possible).

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would just keep an eye on the gas gauge. There's not a lotta upside to stretching tanks.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  20. davidc83

davidc83 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Question in regards to this: If the cabin heater is on, does not the gas engine have to run? Is the cabin heater an electric heater or like all normal cars-heater core heater? If it is a heater core heater, it must have warm/hot coolant running thru the heater core, thus have to have a running gas engine to heat the coolant...or is my hypothesis all full of wacky...