1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking into my first Prius, Higher Mileage a problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nate16, Dec 24, 2016.

1. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All! First post here.

I currently have my summer/DD as a 2017 BMW M3. My winter car, a 2002 Grand Cherokee just blew the motor last night and I'm looking to replace it with something a little more environmentally friendly. I know Prius isn't the BEST for winter but it should do just fine and be a good commuter as well.

I'm not looking to break the bank for my second car and am looking at options in the 5k range. I've been looking at 2010+ Priuses due to the model change in that year. So far I've found a couple decent deals but they all have somewhat higher mileage. 170k+

I'll be using Torque with custom PID's to try to evaluate battery health before purchase. Any other recommendations?

Can anyone comment on these deals?
    188k 2010 Prius IV asking 5k
    186k 2010 Prius IV asking 6k - one owner carfax

I'm not opposed to getting a 2nd gen but from what I've read, a 3rd may be the way to go.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Nate

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! high mileage pri are pretty bullet proof, but you do have to be prepared for any possibility. some of the systems can be very expensive, especially if you don't major diy.
    besides the battery; the brake actuator, the a/c compressor (which i suppose doesn't matter in a winter car)
    tranny, and a few other things can run a few thousand dollars. even the multi function display is over a grand.
    then there are niggling little problems that aggravate, such as trying to figure out low mpg's. is it plugs? injectors? pcv? intake manifold? throttle body?
    what if an ecm or ecu goes bad, buried deep in the dash?
    then, some 2010's burn a lot of oil, (see the threads) but all these problems are a very small minority, as long as your eyes are open. all the best!(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both deals look good.
    Watch out for high oil consumption. Look at the tailpipe on each car. If the end has thick soot it's burning oil.

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you expect to routinely drive through deep loose snow, then you may need to focus on 4X4 vehicles with high clearances.

Our Prius does fine in fresh snow up to 8 inches deep.

Most of what we get here [Maine] is the ice. Prius' handle excellent on ice so long as you have good winter tires.

If a Prius is not the 'best' for winter, it is certainly among the top 10.

:)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and you can always mount snow's if need be. there is some little thing about getting stuck on ice, because the traction control won't power the wheels, but i'm not familiar with it.

6. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'm pretty mechanically inclined so most of the work will be DIY. Still considering if a Prius is the best option for me, I think it's definitely a good choice though.

I come from the BMW world where there are many diagnostics and programs that can be run from a laptop or even a phone to tell statistics about a car pre-purchase or to run diagnostics. Is there any Prius equivalent? I am a computer engineer so I am pretty technically capable. I've seen Priidash and Torque PID's just wondering if that's current info.

Thanks!
    Nate

7. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As for the snow, I'll likely grab a set of Nokian's and run that for winter.

I've considered 4x4's but I already only get about 17mpg on my M3 and my Grand Cherokee was even worse. I could just drop a new motor in it but then I'd be about 3-4k into it and not sure what will break next.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @bwilson4web drives an i3rex and, i believe, has a 2010 Prius. He is a good guy for measurement.
    I pinged him to see if he can help.

9. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet thanks! I looked into getting an i3 but it's just too expensive to maintain that payment with my M3 already being a lot.

I think a 2010 prius may be the way to go.

Any other models of vehicles worth looking into you can think of? I really like the idea of a hybrid.
    Camry Hybrid
    Ford Escape Hybrid

or non hybrid alternatives in that price range?

10. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are the 2 I've been looking into:

worldwidemotorsportsnh.c-m/inventory/details/24654188

and

prestigedealership.c-m/InventoryDetail?id=025636

Both dealerships have a good selection of other Priuses as well. Looking to do a dealership so I can use a credit card for the purchase to gain some extra points.

replace - with o

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I meant he measures everything, as a 2010 Prius and last year bought a BMW. He would know what to look for & how to measure /tell if ther is an issue.

For non-hybrids, Corollas or Camrys are pretty safe choices for reliability.

12. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotcha gotcha. Thanks for the datapoint!

13. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently purchased a 2011 Prius Four with 66K and incredible service records. With my four Michelin X-Ice winter tires it has done fine on snow and ice. I have also owned a Camry Hybrid, which I loved but the mileage was considerably less and the trunk space very small. I would not go Gen II because of fuel bladder issues. At the price you are looking for for a Gen III expect high mileage.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I'm thinking if I could better spend the $ on another vehicle or if I will get my money's worth with the Prius even starting with a higher mileage one. I'm thinking I will. Right now my commute is only 1 mile each way but come march it will go up to 9 miles per way.

15. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found a couple more deals.

2010 Prius II 108k - $6000
    2011 Prius II 109k - $6149

both clean autocheck 1 owner

edit: both of those were actually "wholesale does not pass inspection" still asking to see what they need, seems like great prices

#15 nate16, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  16. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was considering this issue recently . The "whole 9 yards " approach would involve a compression check on the engine in part to avoid the oil consumption issue some older Gen 3s have experienced , plus a check of the transition oil, brakes, HV battery status ,etc.
    But you really want to know how the car was driven by its owner(s), right? Could I suggest you check the brake pads to see if they are the original , factory-installed pads? A gently-driven Gen 3 will still have its original pads up to about 200,000 miles, whereas a Prius driven by "Lead Foot Louie" will have had the pads changed at least once. So carefully take a look when you have it up on the rack and see if the pads look like replacements.
    Good luck!

17. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great advice. I have a compression tester and will bring it with me to check the vehicle.

I may have found a winner.

2011 Prius III with 156k miles for $6k

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1 mile each way in winter will result in about 18 mpg. prius won't even have warmed up.

19. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I thought about that. I will be moving 3/1/2017 and will have a 9 mile each way commute. Also will use the prius for longer drives and to reduce the mileage on my M3 lease

bisco likes this.
  20. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nate, good luck with that car!
    BUT checking compression on a Prius is way more complicated than any other car I have owned, due to (1) the spark plugs being buried so as to require a decent amount of disassembly to get at them , and (2) the engine is not cranked over by a starter battery in the normal fashion, so things have to be arranged correctly with the computers before you can turn it over without ignition or fuel injection inputs.-->so the shortcut is Jadziasman's suggestion of carefully checking the tailpipe, and then maybe having a Prius mechanic do the compression check the first time and show you how it is done. ( I have not had to cope with that thus far.)
    Wait a minute I have an idea: if you can find a place that measures emissions by using an old-fashioned tailpipe probe with the engine running, have the car's emissions checked there and get the "hydrocarbon " level readout--if that is getting high it is becoming an oil burner.
    Again, good luck!