1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to buy a prius this weekend - $9,000 budget. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by artofaccuracy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. artofaccuracy

artofaccuracy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys

I just decided to buy a prius and I have about $9,000 to spend. Preferably $8,000.

I test drove a "II" last week and liked it, I don't think I need the special Navigation features.

I know oftentimes, the difference between a 2008 or 2009 vehicle can be quite significant, especially when they change the engine, battery parts, etc between years. So I'm asking, what is the best year for me to get? (And model) with that budget?

I would be opening to throwing $8,000 as a down payment and then financing another $4,000 or so if it would REALLY be a good idea for me to do that (buying a newer year would be that much significant better).

Looking forward to any feedback!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. artofaccuracy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I meant a Gen 2 I guess. The lady at the dealership just called it a "2" package.

I'm in Los Angeles

4. artofaccuracy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the Link to that thread, I'm looking over it now. People are suggesting an '08 or '09 since those have most of the kinks ironed out.

Would it be wiser for me to spend the extra 4 grand for a $12,000-$14,000 prius then instead of spending the $8 or $9,000 on whatever I can get? Or are there perfectly fine $9,000 prius's out there that I could get.

Trying to be smart here

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    I'd say most Gen 2s are ok but yeah, probably the 09 has most of the bugs worked out. Do keep in mind what I mentioned about the 10 year/150K mile CA and CARB HV battery warranty. I'd make sure you get a car that was purchased and always registered in CA or a CARB state.

I can't speak to specific prices as I don't track prices. Sorry.

I'd say to not go with a Gen 1 though (01-03).

6. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gasoline prices are rising again and the Prius rides that wave baby.

Most of the Gen II Priuses you'll find for $8K to $10K right now will be 07s and 08s with >100K miles. 12 large will put you in a 08 with "relatively" low miles but they're already 5 years old.

I recommend that you leapfrog past the Gen II and search for a Gen III which started in 2010. You might be able to find one with <50K miles for $15K if you're lucky. Might take you some time but worth the wait IMHO.

Gen III benefits:

larger gasoline engine (aka ICE) - 1.8L
    slightly better fuel economy
    new traction battery design and "duh" newer traction battery for longer life.
    no belts to replace - electric water pumps for the HV and ICE
    improved eCVT - two planetary gear sets connecting MG1 and MG2 instead of one planetary gear set
    a gear connects the drive train to the differential instead of a chain.
    Gen II owners will envy you.

OceanEyes, PriusGuy32 and cwerdna like this.
  7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. artofaccuracy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I really am retarded. I was under the impression that "Gen 2" meant .. "Package 2." The dealership lady was telling me there's 4 packages, package 1, 2, 3 and 4 and I confused those with the "Gens"

I'm open to any generation, and now that Jadzias just talked up the Gen 3 so much I'm scouring for a 2010 now hehe.

Also cwerdna, thank you for the link reading it now

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No problem.

Correct, there are 4, well 5 trim levels of the Gen 3 Prius now (2013 Toyota Prius) aka ZVW30.

Gen 2 Prius (aka NHW20) spans 04-09 model year.

See Prius versions | PriusChat and a bunch of posts after it (including the video) for Gen 3 improvements/changes vs. Gen 2. 2012 was a mid-cycle refresh of Gen 3.

10. artofaccuracy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in contact with all of these sellers. Any further suggestions you would suggest when choosing these? I'll get a better deal from a person than a dealership but then I won't any return period.

Optimally I want to have it checked out by someone whose a prius expert before I buy it. Maybe there's some independent shops that specialize in prius's I can take it to to get before I purchase it.

^^^ 2010 Toyota Prius II +++ +++ 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS 2010 Toyota Prius 2010 Toyota Prius Hybird,14K Miles 2010 Toyota prius hybrid 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS II (33K MILES,PEARL WHITE) 2010 Toyota Prius

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't looked at those ads carefully but Avi's Advanced Automotive | PriusChat sometimes posts here. I've not done business w/them personally.

Or, you could take it to reputable Toyota dealer down there. Unfortunately, I don't know who's good/bad down there.

Avoid 2010 Toyota Prius Hybird,14K Miles and 2010 Toyota prius hybrid. Those have salvage titles. I don't understand why 2010 Toyota Prius would have brand new brakes. Properly driven, Priuses can go past 100K miles original brakes. I'm past 70K miles and on my original brakes still.

I'd get the VIN of all of them and at minimum, run a Carfax check on each.

12. artofaccuracy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ended up getting a 2010 Prius II with 48,000 miles for $14,100 .. warranty until $60K and battery warrantied until $100K.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Question - I hear there's a brake recall in 2010 - how can I be sure my car isn't one of these?

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! what happen to $8 or 9,000.?:) i haven't heard of a brake recall, but the dealer can help you out, all the best!

14. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They recalled the Gen III to reprogram the computer when people complained of loss of braking when going over bumps. All 2010 Prius were recalled. you can have the dealer check to see if the work was done on yours.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One can register the car at Toyota Owners Official Website: Service Coupons, Owners Manuals, Service Scheduling and More and see what recalls are pending.

Prius Brake Recall – A Little More Information | PriusChat has a few details.

One can look up recalls for any car at Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...you might also want to check CarMax.com for typical prices....but I am thinking even an 2006 will be $9000.

17. artofaccuracy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha .. I was easily persuaded by whoever recommended I "leap frog" to the Gen III!! Thanks

18. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome. Enjoy.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great decision I am sure the Gen3 will pay you back in low cost of ownership benefits

20. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sweet deal for a Gen 3 :cool: Congratulations!

In comparison, a few months ago I paid $13000 for a 2007 Level 5 w/60,000 miles.

I'd much rather have a 2010 Pri II for $14,100 hands down!! You made a good decision.