1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to buy a used Gen 4 Prius. Do you trust CARFAX?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by DrMetal, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh oh: the assume word, lol.

RCO, Prodigyplace and pilotgrrl like this.
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I once had a VW that was back to the dealer about every 3 weeks when I owned it and virtually none of this wound up on the Carfax. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. ;)

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would not put much faith in carfax for accidents. I only use it to review service records.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought a new 2016 gen 4 Prius two weeks ago. I don't know how many they have left
    But it is now a two year old car with a new car warranty.

jerrymildred and orenji like this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on that. You're gonna notice a big difference, so now the time to update your profile to reflect your new transportation. (y)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Hmm, just signed up for this after seeing the link you provided. Is it up to me to put the stuff in there or should the dealership do it. Because I'm only seeing 2 instances of my Prius being at the dealership & that was merely scheduled maintenance.

Seems if it is up to me to put it there, then it's pretty much crap for using as any source of reliable service information for a potential buyer.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Our 2010 had a great carfax, with all service records listed and such.

However, it now burns oil....so obviously carfax will not catch things like that. To be expected but just be aware of it.

8. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The dealer has always put in the service records on my car. I just had my last free service done before starting our winter travels. Sounds like the previous owner(s) did not always have the car serviced at a Toyota dealer.

RCO likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I understand it, the Toyota shops put the stuff on there that they do and that remains there for the next owner to view. If third parties do stuff or you do stuff, you can put that there, too, but no one else can view it. In other words, I record my oil changes and what-not for my car, but when I sell it, there's no record of it.

I suppose that's because Toyota just has my word for it and they don't want to imply that it's true if they don't know it for a fact. I also keep records by other means and, when I sell or trade the car, I pass those along for the buyer's information.

RCO likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In Canada you can't even do that. At least that was the case, 5~6 years back.

11. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I guess they didn't put anything other than the oil changes on there then. All of my service is done at the Toyota dealership I purchased it from. After that, it'll probably be my son who's a Honda tech. (Unless I sell it first)

It was there on two other occasions. Initially after I bought it - probably a month or two old. Had a "shudder" as I would call it. They couldn't duplicate it. But did update the programming in the transmission. No issues with that since

2nd time - a mere search for an update to the bluetooth for the radio. (No update available - I'm a windows phone guy. Sometimes it's an issue with bluetooth)

Just scheduled my 15k service today. I'll check back and see if it shows up.