1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to buy Leaf for commute

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by frayz, Feb 21, 2013.

1. frayz

frayz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So here is my delima. i currently own a prius and looking to replace my wifes vehicle. I thought maybe a EV would be great for a commuter. Problem is i have a long commute

45 miles to work.

i could probably charge at work all day(8am-5:30pm)

then leave from there to school and then home. which is 69-71 miles. <-- yikes.

Anyone think this is actually feasible?

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Absolutely not. Don't forget batteries lose capacity with age. Assuming you can replace the 45 miles while at work, 70 miles is some 90% of the Leaf's maximum range. Add in the fact that Nissan doesn't recommend charging completely to 100% because it is detrimental to battery life and you'll be fine for year 1 & 2. But year 3 and beyond you'll come up short as battery capacity may decrease 20%.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are EV's that would work very well. Tesla S is one. The Leaf does not appear to fit you. You could also consider a Volt

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pip. 10-15 miles ev after each plug in, then, 65-75 mpg after that. best of both worlds! as an added benefit, let's you do all those local around town errands in pure ev.

JMD likes this.
  5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pip is a EV-10
    Volt is a EV-40

Volt will get you about 38 miles of EV driving and the PIP about 10.

After that the PIP hybrid kicks in with about 50 MPG, the Volt Hybrid MPG I'm not sure but 35 rings a bell.

The basic Pip is a great price and the gov is rewarding with some tax breaks.

You should test drive both cars.

6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let us know what you decide.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agree that this is a very bad idea unless one can fully L2 charge at work. Even then, it'll get dicey as the battery degrades and even before it during the winter. Leaf's range is too short.

As for the latter part, that's not true. They just don't recommend leaving it at 100% for too long. No way the degradation will be 20% by the 3rd year unless the OP lives in hot climates like like Phoenix or TX.

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm assuming Mobile, AL has a very hot climate.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you had L2 charging at work you could just about do it, but it would mean regular 100% charging and that would increase degradation of the battery. Also, with such a long commute I expect you'd be doing a lot of highway miles and high speeds would cut range.

I'd say that you'd need a longer-range BEV like a Tesla Model Sor a RAV4 EV.

Or, more practically, I'd suggest a Volt which would still give you a high percentage of EV and better-than-normal mpg on the gas. (2013 Volt has Hold mode to force gas use, which you could use on the highway so you should get a good average.. Or relocate and cut your miles. ;)

11. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I have a similar commute and drive a Volt. You might find the 7-11 Switcheroo thread useful if you haven't seen it already.

PiP/Volt January 7-11 Switcheroo | PriusChat

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Problem is that a Rav4 EV is a CA compliance car. You'd need to buy one from a CA dealer and it remains in a grey area, at best for service of the Tesla bits. :(

There have been a few threads on MNL about this but My Nissan Leaf Forum &bull; View topic - purchasing a Rav4 EV outside of CA is a current one.

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    can you charge at school? and l1 or l2 and for how long? L1 charging yields approx 4 miles per hour of charging and l2 approx 10 miles. The new leaf has a 6.6kw option that would yield 20 miles per hour on l2 charging.

I can easily recommend the Volt for this application but if you can charge at the school for an hour or two the leaf could be a good fit as well, especially with the 6.6kw charger. the issue with degredation with a 100% charge is more of an issue if the car is sitting with a 100% charge and getting overheated. it looks like taking a 100% charge and immediatly driving/draining the battery in moderate climates is not a problem.

14. frayz

frayz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for the input!

Ok. so here is the break down. I cannot charge at school, unfortunately the university doesn't have anything in place for that(yet?). Classes are only hour and 15min so there is not alot to gain unless i could do L2.

I did consider the degradation of the battery thats why i was looking into the 36 month lease(after calulating savings with my wife driving my prius instead of my truck it pays for itself) So I could turn it in after the 36 months.

I may still consider it for my wife's drive around car. It could still have a benefit.

As far as the other options:
    Volt - 40-ev limited range + poor mileage(comparative to the Prius) + expensive price = at that price range i'd consider ponying up for the tesla s base model 160-EV
    PIP - 13-ev limited range + great mileage + semi-expensive with not a good used market. May consider this if i am willing to trade in my truck which i am unsure about(a man's got to have a truck right?)
    Tesla S - well yeah thats great, but who's got 50-100k to just blow to "save" money? not this guy.. not yet.

I will look into the threads you guys posted on the Volt, maybe that will change my mind.

Jeff N, John Hatchett and JMD like this.
  15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you look at the Volt be sure and look at the lease deals out there. I leased at $350/month, 0 down, 36 months, 15k miles/yr. That was last summer and deals got a bit better later in the year.

don't let the lower mpg on the gas motor scare you away. a volt should use less gasoline than a prius or a pip if your driving 120 miles (45+71) between charges and considerable less if your charging at work as well.

it's a shame your 71 mile trip is so close to the leaf's "comfortable" range limit, but if you can swap cars with the wife some days you might find it still works. the leaf will probably make the 71 miles 90% of the time, when weather cooperates. on colder days you could swap with the wife's car (prius) depending on her commute distances and charging opportunities.

JMD likes this.
  16. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know this sometimes invites controversy but here it goes.

Leasing is perhaps the safest bet with a Volt or Leaf or PIP or Tesla. When EV used cars have perceived lower value on the used car lot the Lease can save you from plenty of financial hardship since the resale risk is on the leasee.

17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Money it's a gas, grab that cash with both hands and make a stash, new car caviar, four star daydream - Pink Floyd Lyrics
    image.jpg

18. frayz

frayz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree 100%.
    Plus you never know where battery tech and new EV vehicle availability will be in 3 years.

Another crazy thing i just test drove a LEAF. it was a 2011 used, they wanted 23k. With rebates and all I can get a new one for 21k. Thats crazy right?

JMD likes this.
  19. frayz

frayz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats not too bad. Nissan's lease is $199 but that offer is about to expire. I have a chevy dealership by the house that i think has a Volt there. I will check into it this weekend and go for a test run hopefully.

20. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There you go perfect example. Leaf improved the car and dropped the price. With battery technology improving and the cars reaching critical mass cost of production will decrease price to the consumer. Leaf is a perfect example.