1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to install subs into 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Anthony2337, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Anthony2337

Anthony2337 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As a new owner of a prius I am taking the subwoofers and mid range speakers out of my old truck and looking to install them in the prius. I just have a few questions.

Is there a way I could upgrade the capacity of the stock 12v battery or is this a special battery for the car.

Where is a remote wire to tell the amp when to turn on that is not too hard to find.

BTW this is not a JBL edition

2. Steven Harvey

Steven Harvey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The auxiliary battery is an AGM (advanced glass mat) lead-acid battery. essentially an Optima. whether or not you would need to upgrade or add another battery to your Prius all depends on the ratings of your amp, sub and, speakers. These batteries where made for power hungry accessories. I would say hook it up. and if it draws to much add a capacitor. your car will always recharge your battery when it drops to a certain point as long as your not taking more than it is supplying then your OK.

Personally I have never put subs in a Prius and never will just adds weight and added weight equals slower car and crappy gas millage. but I will not judge you for doing it. Anyway, everything I said above is just based on past knowledge of putting subs in cars if I am wrong about anything please correct me.

as far as remote wire I have never checked this on my Prius but if the aux port or as we cool kids call it your cigarette lighter port turns off with the car when you remove your key fob, you can use that just splice into the hot side of that. If it stays on when the key is not in the ignition/key fob port then you will need to go behind the radio and find out which is a 12 switch or 12 ignition wire/(12 volts appear when car in accessory or running mode but off when well off) to test the cigarette lighter port just put a phone charger that has a power indicator light on it into the port and remove your key if the light shuts off you have remote switch if it stays on you are screwed. if you really want to get fancy you could even use a multimeter or a volt meter to do this. But a phone charger is easiest.

a piece of advise don't tap into any wires that are connected to the airbag system or you will need a new pair of underpants.

3. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you allow passengers in your car? A passenger weighs probably 5 - 10x as much as a sub! You'd be foolish to do so...

4. Steven Harvey

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I allow passengers.

5. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I won't judge you for doing it.

6. Steven Harvey

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol, thanks. I was really worried you would.