1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to join the club, need advise on a potential buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Future Prius, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Future Prius

Future Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone, I am on the market for a Prius as I recently rented one and enjoyed it a ton. I am looking to get one to supplement as a daily driver for work. I am looking at something older as I don't want to spend a ton on an extra car. I saw a potential project with some issues and want to get your thoughts, I consider myself a descent back yard Mechanic and have dabbled in most things. A hybrid is new for me, the car is on Craigslis and has the following data on the car:

It has 191,660 miles on it and I have replaced a lot of parts. The hybrid battery was replaced at 164,545 miles, at $2,800. Other parts include:

111,804 miles - inverter water pump / $301
    111,938 mi. - rear brakes with lifetime warranty
    164,545 mi. - Michelin energy saver tires with 65,000 mi. warranty, they still look almost new
    164,553 mi. - water pump $132 + labor/ $352 total
    175,491 mi. - struts replaced all around at $667 + labor / $1,177 total
    191,446 mi. - auxiliary battery, $191 + labor and diagnostics/ $350 total

The center console touch screen does not work. The backup camera works but you cannot control the radio, AC etc., with the touch screen. I have been using the buttons on the steering wheel to control those things. A reconditioned console can be found for around $300. Toyota will not tell you this. Right now the car starts but it cannot be driven very far because the AC compressor is going out. Since all the electronics are connected, the compressor will cause the car to shut down. I have had it reset so it starts but the AC should be repaired before it is driven. I have a trailer and can haul the car a reasonable distance to deliver it, once sold. I have not researched what a new compressor would cost.With all the new parts on this car, once that is fixed it should run a long time before it needs any other major repairs. Taxi companies regularly get 400,000 miles out of them. Selling as is.

Thanks in advaced and any info will be very helpful.

2. Future Prius

Future Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, is the compressor tied to the entire car as stated? Meaning, will a bad compressor stall the car?

3. Loanshark

Loanshark New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two