1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to join the Prius club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Don402, May 15, 2017.

1. Don402

Don402 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Below are a couple that I plan on looking at. Please review and give any feedback. One of them has a dead hybrid battery still under warranty from Toyota. Is this warranty transferable? What differences are there in option from 2004 to 2009? Do they all have leather or GPS?

Can't post links yet. Both look good cosmetically.

2007 Prius:
    Clean title. I am the second owner. Normal wear and tear on the vehicle. I have always kept it maintained.
    The only thing is that currently the hybrid battery is not working. BUT there is over a year of warranty left on the current battery. I just haven't gotten around to mailing it back to get a new one. It does drive but it's not recommended that you drive it without the hybrid battery working.
    SELLING AS IS. WILL GIVE SELLER THE WARRANTY INFO.

2005 Prius:
    Great condition. Drives well. Just put in new tire rods and front brakes. Fairly new tires. 154,907 miles-mostly highway from driving to Ames.

2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The battery warranty is transferable. Crown Toyota replaced the battery on our first Prius under warranty at 9+ years and we were the second owners.

3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't buy a car that doesn't work unless your intention is to use it as a project. Either insist the owner of the 2007 gets a new replacement battery from Toyota or go with the 2005 (or a different car).

Regarding options, all 2nd gen Prii have a 7" screen and steering wheel controls. I believe most, if not all, have cruise control. Options include a (highly useful) backup camera, navigation, leather seats, bluetooth, and carpets

4. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd say it depends on price. I'm new to this platform, but I agree with srellim that the battery will be a warranty item transferable to you. Not all gen2 Prii have leather - only the later ones do. There is a VIN decoder on this site that you can use to check to see if leather was an original option on the 2007 or if the PO installed it.

The 2007 may be the better buy. 2004-05 have a problem with the ODO - when the car hits 299,999 it stops displaying the proper mileage, so you'll need to swap it out for a 2006-09 one. I just found out about that little issue. It's not a big deal and apparently it's a simple swap, just something to consider.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On a 2007 there likely is less than a year of warranty–if NE is a CARB state that took 10 Yr/150,000 mi–otherwise it is 8 yr/100,000 mi, in which case the original HV Battery is 2 years out of warranty. So be very weary that the seller is not talking about more than a years warranty on a 3rd party refurbished battery. A refurb is not worth anything in value and neither is a warranty replacement; the whole thing is likely going to be a can of worms which you would well do to steer clear of. If he says it is the original HV battery, then it is probably better for you to ensure a new Toyota OEM HV battery is installed by an authorised Toyota Service Dept which will give you a 3 year warranty (assuming this car qualifies).

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think NE is a CARB state. In that case, the HV battery warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles. It doesn't specify, but I think that means which ever comes first. The warranty guide that came with the car will give the definitive answer.
    What hybrid warranty coverage do I have on my Toyota?

7. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    any car ad that says something is broken and I didn't bother to fix it is a big red flag. who knows what else is wrong with it.

srellim234 likes this.
  8. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe this one? Cheap enough to buy the Prolong system with it.
    2004 Toyota Prius

9. Don402

Don402 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is the Prolong system what Peecee was talking about with hitting 299k? I just saw this ad today. I will see if I can take a look this weekend.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you a serious diy'er on a limited budget?

11. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prolong is a battery maintenance "system." The odometer issue I was talking about only affects 2004-2005 models, and only the display of actual miles once the car hits 299,999.

12. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prolong system reconditions the battery through a series of discharging/recharging. It is something that would need to be done several times a year to see results IIRC. That is why I didn't get this particular Prius. I just don't have the time.