1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to the future: what hybrid should toyota build next?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by xraydoug, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I remember a joke from comedian years ago,"I have a diesel car. It gets 40 mpg, 20 when searching for a station that sells diesel."

I don't know if Wawa reaches up in NY where your are, but around here their stations carry diesel. There is also plenty of them. I pass three on my commute.

My friend used to have a diesel Rabbit back in the day, and I used to have a heating oil system. In comparison to old diesel and heating oil, ULSD doesn't stink.

The cost per mile was based of window sticker numbers. Diesels beat them, while a gas car might meet them in real world. Anyone researching a diesel will come across that. They might even find the EPA paper where they admit that the new fuel economy label under reports diesels by 13%. But this is YMMV. A person the drives a majority of city miles will do better with a hybrid.

The price of diesel cars is because of demand. For years, the only non-luxury diesel a person could buy was a VW. Which meant VW could load it with options, charge more, and still sell them. Likewise, GM is able to load the new Cruze up. Which means a closer look is needed to compare trims. Once you add the automatic transmission and power driver's seat, the ECO is $3600 less, but can't get leather.

With more manufacturers getting into the diesel market, base trim models should become available. It took the second generation to get that on the Camry and Fusion hybrids.

2. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Diesel cars may out perform their epa mpg estimates, but so do prius and prius c. what is the cost of a new diesel car that is similar to prius, like vw jetta. I think the long term maintanence cost is similar in terms of turbo diesel vs hybrid.
    One thing with hybrids is mpg is better in town than on hwy. and often people make the mistake of compairing mpg based on hwy mpg.

So a jetta diesel that gets 45 mpg hwy is compaired as being almost the same as a prius c. but if you drive in town much you will get great mpg in prius c I get over 60 calculated on paper at fill up. my diesel rabbit never got close to that. with my driving I got 40 -42 mpg. that is pretty good. but then diesel cost about 50 cents more so in miles per $ my rabbit was 9.1 cent, on my prius c it is 5.5 cent and that comes out to an extra $540 per year with 15k miles a year.

so when I look at this data IMO a hybrid is a better. I think when the car has 150k and the hybrid needs a new battery. I think the vw will need an overhaul on engine, or a turbo and either one of these repairs will cost as much as changing the traction battery in your toyota.:)

3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It would be a fool's errand to argue that a diesel would do better than hybrid in the city.:) On the highway, the hybrid's advantages drop off, and a diesel can return stellar numbers without effort. Choice is good since we don't fit some typical commute. Of course, we have no choice here in regards to mini-vans, which started this side topic.:(

There is study comparing the ownership costs between gasoline and diesel models. Overall, diesels came out ahead, but study was limited to what was available in the US in the 3 and 5 year time frame. So, it just covers VWs, Mercedes, and heavy duty pickups. The time frame also means the data is only useful to new or barely used car shoppers.
    http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmfile/20130311_CD_UMTRITCOFinalReport_dd2017.pdf
    Perhaps there will be a follow up once the Jetta hybrid has been around long enough.

People comparing just highway numbers aren't doing enough research for a car purchase. Toyota had advertisement stressing the city number of the Prius c and the Camry hybrid, so I don't think the hybrids came off dis advantaged for those people.

For people that care, the Prius and the c can beat the EPA. That's true of nearly any car though. When it comes to a typical driver(at least, those willing to track fuel economy), the Prii are around their EPA combined while diesels surpass it.
    Compare Side-by-Side
    User reported data there has the c at 1.2mpg above combined, Prius 2.8 below, Jetta 2.8 above, and Passat 8.2 above. Numbers on Fuelly show the same trend, and it is what EPA discovered back in 2008 when they were working on changing the testing. Diesels would out perform the new sticker numbers by 18% in the real world. Where's the outrage above diesels being hampered by unrealistic mpg numbers?;)

I started a thread about it not too long ago. It was in the correct place, the diesel forum, so few people saw it.
    Diesel mpg underrated on the window sticker | PriusChat

4. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dude GM makes or has made a few V8 Hybrids, namely the Sierra and Silverado pickups and the Tahoe SUV. I am not going to say that they are good hybrids but they made them.

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Their highway numbers weren't much better, which makes sense considering their aerodynamics. The city numbers were as good as the highway though. You had a Tahoe getting 20mpg around town, which is a whole lot better than the 15 or less the non-hybrid got. Cost is what killed them.

6. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah I was looking yesterday and it seems that the Tahoe hybrid lives on as it's cousin the Cadillac Escalade hybrid.

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    And people didn't see that 5 mpg increase as much when in fact that is huge on those low of numbers. Would save someone a lot of money if they mainly use their truck/SUV around town.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It didn't help that truck buyers tended to fall into the anti-hybrid camp.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love to see a 2-seat, RWD, drop-top! :)

Who says hybrids can't be sporty and fun to drive?
    The last time I checked, nobody was wrinkling their noses at the Tesla Roadster and saying "Eeeww!"

OK....so take the HSD drive-train, scale it up a little bit to adult proportions, give it a Pip sized battery, spend a little bit more in suspension components, and you'd sell them by the butt-ton....even at Pip prices! :)

[​IMG]

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A big thing against a hybrid minivan is weight.

Minivans, now that's an oxymoron if there ever was one, are very heavy compared to sedans and even some trucks (empty beds). Now add hybrid components, especially a heavy battery pack. Toyota won't give the Prius a tow rating on their HSD, and I believe the HyCam has a pretty low tow rating. An HSD in a heavy un-minivan would be essentially "towing" that extra weight around permanently, plus potentially more passengers and their stuff, all the time.

11. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    True, but no reason a modified HiHy chassis/drivetrain couldn't do the job.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    True, but the HiHy is priced out of many people's price range. Minivans were successful because they were popular with the soccer moms of the population.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota already has a RWD hybrid with the Lexus 600h, and the rumors are the next Supra will be a hybrid. Whenever it gets here.
    What many seem to miss when they hear Toyota has a hybrid minivan in Japan is that it is a Estima. Which used to be sold here as the Previa. It is in between the Sienna and Mazda5 in size. Closer to the Mazda5. Those wanting a hybrid minivan would probably be disappointed in the size.
    The Sienna is over a 1000 pounds heavier than the Camry. So using that drive train is out.
    If Toyota was willing to price reasonably, and they would have to because to mpg numbers aren't going to be stellar. The HiHy's 28/28 is very good, but they won't stand out that much to most consumers. The city is 9mpg lower, but people will note the Odyssey also gets 28 on the highway.

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It would/should be a bit lighter than a highlander with slightly better aerodynamics so I would think 30/30 should be attainable.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Currently, the Sienna is about 400 pounds heavier than a Highlander. Efficiency improvements to the engine and hybrid system should help, but it will be a smaller mpg number gap between it and the non-hybrid than with the Camry. While it could be the same percentage improvement, most will just see the whole number, and question if the cost increase is worth it.

A diesel or hydraulic hybrid might be a better choice for a minivan of US size.

16. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The minivan is the next logical step. Minivans are bought by practical people, who would love the increase in mileage. Saving money on a family ride seems to me to be a no brainer.

17. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true, totally agree with you. Sticking point might be that minivans are pretty cheap (relatively for what you get in amenities and size). Might be too expensive to put a hybrid drivetrain in. Also, they might be cannibalizing some Prius v sales if they made one.

18. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A loaded Toyota Minivan today stickers for over $40,000 to me that aint cheap.

19. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you a politician?

20. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No I'm not a politician, I'm retired from an honest job.