1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to the future: what hybrid should toyota build next?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by xraydoug, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    RAV4, Venza Hybrids? Possible next Gen Odyssey Hybrid Minivan!
    [​IMG]The minivan with the economy of a Prius

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota already builds a V8 Hybrid, its called a Lexus LS600h.

3. michelb

michelb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to agree with those suggested a Sienna Hybrid. I just don't understand why Toyota hasn't been it built yet (especially considering I think they've had the Estima for something like 15 years in Japan).

I've read reports saying that Toyota said that "a hybrid minivan wouldn't make any sense for the type of driving they are used for" and that just doesn't make any sense for me. Our Sienna is probably used 70% in the city and I'd love to get even 5mpg more - if you can get me 30mpg city in a Sienna, I'd be thrilled.

If they can build the Highlander Hybrid, there's no reason they can't build a Sienna Hydrid (and if I had a choice, give it a 4 cyl instead of the HiHy's V6). There might be bit more restrictions on the HV battery placement because of the Siennas retractable seats but I'm sure they can come up with something (no spare and run-flats, bump the entire floor 2 inches up and have a super flat battery, etc).

markabele likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well think about it for a moment.

The current crop of minivans are fairly large and fairly heavy (most tipping the scales near 2,000kg). A 4 cylinder HSD won't work (e.g. 2.5L HSD out of the Camry) and a V6 won't give enough of a FE boost (e.g. HiHy and RX) that people want out of a hybrid minivan. Dropping the city mileage from 11L/100km to 9L/100km seems like a lot but are people willing to pay the extra cost for it and give up some utility? (e.g. folding 3rd seat or AWD). When Dodge is "giving away" minivans in Canada in the low $20k (the Japanese 3 start near $27-29k for base models), there really isn't an incentive since most are looking simply for the space of a minivan and the practicality of one. Yes there are some looking for more features (power sliding doors, leather seats, RSES and fancy audio systems) but I would wager a reasonable sized chunk are looking for a basic vehicle. That's my guess. Maybe someone will have the actual numbers lol.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A diesel would probably work better for an American minivan.

6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I think making one of the really small cars like the Aygo or iQ hybrid would be a nice move - they are already city cars, and city driving + hybrid is the best combination after pure electric.

8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    the c is pretty small

9. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    The Aygo and iQ are smaller. Let's see what current technology can push once you get the additional weight advantage.

10. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Rav4 would make a perfect hybrid. Small enough to use the Camry guts and make sure you can get a base model not just high end like the Highlander.

markabele and Silver bullit like this.
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Perhaps once Toyota goes lithium. Otherwise it will be a challenge getting the battery pack into them without sacrificing too much space. The electric iQ ended up with just 50 miles of range on the EPA test cycles. The main hinderance for these to go full hybrid will whether Toyota thinks it can sell enough of them. Japan then North America are the biggest hybrid markets. The iQ is a niche Scion in the US, and the Aygo isn't even offered.

The Rav4 makes sense. The Escape isn't around for competition anymore, and people would welcome more AWD hybrid choices. Against it is, well, the fact the Escape isn't around anymore. Ford dumped the hybrid version out of concern the few sales it had would just go to the C-max, and keeping it around just for the AWD crowd was going to be a money loser. In terms of cargo capacity, a RAV4 hybrid will be competing mostly with the Prius v.

12. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the c have a smaller pack than the regular Gen3? I honestly don't know.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes. It has a 19.3kW pack v. the Prius 27kW.

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you mean that number for one of the MG's? A battery should be in kWh's.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    kW is also used to rate battery power, and is what traction packs for hybrids fuel cell cars are usually reported in. kWh is how long the charge lasts, and kW is how much power the battery can put out at once.

I got the numbers off Toyota's website. They were under traction battery on the specifications page.

16. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotcha. I guess I'm looking for overall battery size/capacity. In other words...how many kWh's?

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was initially looking for a cell or module number. While I could get that for the Prius off Wikipedia, it proved not so simple for the c.

So I just went to Toyota's site with the expectation of not finding anything. I found the kW/horsepower number there, and a total voltage also. From that, it should be possible to calculate the number of cells, since both cars are using the same type.

I don't think I have ever seen a kWh for a HEV or FCEV battery pack published. They aren't using their batteries in the same way as a BEV. With a hybrid, the amount of power the battery can provide to assist the ICE has a bigger role on vehicle efficiency than how far it can provide EV for.

Just found kWh numbers for them. The c is 0.9, and the Prius is 1.3 (though 1.4 according to Wikipedia.
    2012 Toyota Prius c Review: Pleasure Not Included | Rumble Seat by Dan Neil - WSJ.com

There is simply less space for the pack in the c. Which is why I doubt we'll see a smaller Toyota with the full hybrid drive train without lithium batteries. An assist hybrid might be possible, but still unlikely.

18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely agree. A .7 or .8 kWh lithium pack would be pretty small.

19. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And swappable.
    A prius c plugin - can it be done?
    Or is the market too soft.

#59 vvillovv, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  20. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lexus is coming out with the NX soon why not a rav4!