1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looks like module 14....

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by PriusRox, Sep 21, 2015.

1. PriusRox

PriusRox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ... has an internal short. Scangauge is showing it as the High and Low voltage cell in the pack. The State of Charge spontaneously drops from 57% to 32% and will not charge up to 60 anymore. The cells would normally be within 0.2v of each other, now varying by 1.5v. Any good deal Gen1 modules for sale out there?

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are plenty of cheap Gen1 modules out there. Not that many good ones. Where are you located?

3. PriusRox

PriusRox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I pulled the battery yesterday afternoon. Found a local (Tampa) with Gen 1 modules only to find out they were all dead when girlfriend went to pick one up. So, he had Gen2's and I decided to install it. I don't have a smart charger/balancer so I put it on the 6v charger for less than 10 minutes to bring it up to the other resting pack voltages. All other modules were almost spot on. I saw this battery had been rebuilt previously, but no history. I reassembled and installed the battery this am, and everything looks good so far. Car drives normally at this point. Even if gremlins appear down the road, I wanted a stop-gap fix for now, and may consider a Dorman. I know it's just a matter of time!

4. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Voltage at rest (without a load) won't tell you much. You need to know internal resistance and cell capacity as well.
    While it's working now, be prepared to do the job again....the fact that the pack was already "rebuilt" before illustrates it's not that easy to make a reliable pack out of used modules.

S Keith and bwilson4web like this.
  5. PriusRox

PriusRox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Any thoughts on the Dorman? These cars have made me a cult believer, not to worry, no cool-aid in my future. :)

6. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of shops have had trouble with Dorman batteries failing within a year. The good thing is Dorman is a big enough company to still be in business if/when you need to make a warranty claim, just a hassle to be without a car and have to swap the battery again.

Many of the other internet rebuilders will be long gone/unresponsive if you try to collect on warranty.

For Gen1 best option by far is new "zero mile" battery from dealer. Hopefully you can get someone with a shop to buy it wholesale for you.

#6 3prongpaul, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    strawbrad likes this.