1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loose Interior Panel: Below Hood Release Lever

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by StephenFromCT, Sep 19, 2019.

1. StephenFromCT

StephenFromCT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I need advice for the proper way to secure an interior panel for a 2011 Prius (Gen 3) Trim 3. The panel is still attached, but loose. There are no visible screws for attaching the panel.

The panel is located to the left of the emergency brake pedal. The panel is below the hood release lever.

To be clear, the car is a model for the US market.

(From right to left):

1) center-midline of car
    2) gas pedal
    3) brake pedal (used when driving)
    4) emergency brake pedal (used when parked)
    5) loose panel
    6) left side of body

Thanks for your help!

2. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That panel is attached with two or three Christmas-tree fasteners (pop in) and has a stud that sticks through a hole near the top that gets a plastic nut screwed on to keep it in place. Check and see that you have all of that.

StephenFromCT likes this.
  3. StephenFromCT

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    @Vman455: Thanks for the advice describing how the small plastic side panel below the hood release lever is connected.

I found time during the weekend to remove the loose panel. In addition to the screw on nut, I found TWO blue plastic "Christmas tree" type pop in friction fasteners. At the bottom of the panel there were also two "hook and hole" snap style latches.

I plan to upload the one photo I took, but I also want to make the information more useful to people who are searching this forum.

Does anyone know what electronics are covered by the panel? With this answer I might try to edit the title of this thread or add useful keywords.

Thanks!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The title seems pretty good now, good description. (y)

5. StephenFromCT

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am uploading two files:

The first, a photo, shows where the two blue fasteners are inserted when the plastic panel is installed. To make it easier to see, I edited the photo with a white circle. This shows the bolt which fits the plastic nut/cap.

To be more clear, the blue fasteners need to be removed, and attached to the plastic panel, before the panel and the fasteners are pressed against the holes. After the "hook and hole" snap style latches are engaged I finalized the repair using the plastic nut.

The second photo, a graphic which I borrowed from @scubaaaDan:

2010 Prius w/ JBL wiring diagram from techinfo | PriusChat

The edited version I uploaded includes a black circle around the wiring which is covered by the panel.

So, I am still interested in learning what electronics the panel is covering.

Hope this information is helpful. Again, special thanks again to @Vman455 for the advice.

mount-side panel below hood release plus circled screw stud.png scubaaaDan plus circle.png .

Mendel Leisk likes this.