1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loose Panel - Passenger Footwell

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kleinfelter, Jul 28, 2016.

1. kleinfelter

kleinfelter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got a loose panel in the passenger footwell. It's the black plastic panel that your toes touch, if your passenger puts his heels on the floor and points his toes toward the sky. It has some kind of a white pad/filter on the top side.

The edge of the panel nearest the seat is firmly connected. The edge nearest the engine flopped down. I tried to put it back. There seems to be one plastic tab that sticks out and fits too-loosely into a rectangular hole on the front-of-car edge. As soon as my kid gets in the car again, his toes bump the plate and it flops down again.

1. What's the proper name for this panel?
    2. How is it supposed to stay in place?
    3. Does it fall down for everyone?
    4. How can I keep the front of car edge from falling down?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3) no.

i would go to the dealer parts dept. and ask them. they can bring up a breakout of the part and any fasteners.
    or someone here may be able to provide a link. all the best!(y)

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    mine was in the trash a long time ago,tired of it falling down

bisco likes this.
  4. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my car, the panel was duct taped along the top edge to the dash when I bought the car used. The previous owner didn't know put the panel back on - he had the upper prongs hanging from the inside of the two rectangular holes in the dash instead of inserted and snapped into those holes from the outside. I took the duct tape off, installed the panel correctly, and it has stayed put.

It sounds like yours is loose on the other side though. A photo of the panel installed in your car might help. Does it look like any clips/tabs are broken on the panel or the dash?

5. kleinfelter

kleinfelter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just for the record, the panel is a "under cover", part number 55607-47040 (available via the Toyota web sit - I'm not yet allowed to post links).

I have read of others with loose editions of this panel at PriusChat thread 168735 (I'm not allowed to post links.)

There are clips to securely hold the side nearest your knees. (Seems like that is 'front' because it is in the foreground, but it is actually toward the rear of the vehicle.) The other side is held on by a single tab.

I think it really ought to be in place because it covers wires under the dash and there's a risk of someone kicking a wire on ingress/egress.

I can't tell how the tab is supposed to clip/slip/bind. I'll get on my head again and try once more to install it properly. If that fails, I'll find a convenient something to zip-tie it too.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice comeback!(y)