1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loose Underpanels - Which clips do I buy? - Not sure where to ask this sorry

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nivekonbass, Apr 14, 2023.

1. nivekonbass

nivekonbass Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hi guys,

I have some panels I need to reinstall/fix on my 13 Prius Two, I included photos of the specific panels in question, I was wondering what kind of clips I need to reinstall? The aluminum one in the photo still had a clip attached, and I do have something similar to those, but they are aftermarket, not sure how they'll do.

The photos marked 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 are the same panel just from different angles (middle of the car). The 2nd photo is just what it looks like when I pulled it down a bit. How does that white clip even work? Does it screw in? I tried to lightly tap it in but it didnt do anything, I didn't want to use a lot of force without checking first lol.
    1 of 2.jpg
    I'm going to be taking it to a shop that has a lift to get it done in a few days so I just want to be prepared and stuff. I'm having a hard time finding a diagram of where these are supposed to go I found this one, but I don't know if these are oriented in how they are supposed to go. If you got something better that would be awesome :). This one also doesn't show part #'s so idk what clips I need.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#1 nivekonbass, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The clips are re-usable if the person removing them takes the time....unfortunately, many mechanics don't bother and just start pulling and ripping them out.

An entrepreneur could make some GOOD money if they were to sell kits with all the clips specific vehicles have....something I've never seen.

For the ones I break or ruin I have a few containers with various sizes and can find the right size to fit...these are what I have:

3. nivekonbass

nivekonbass Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not seeing the image for some reason

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Attached Files:

5. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh sorry....my stupid firewall....both are from Amazon:

Car Retainer Clips, 415pcs Plastic Fasteners Kit with Fastener Remover, 18 Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set for Toyota, GM, Ford, Honda, Acura, Chrysler ($12.99)

UTSAUTO 675Pcs Car Retainer Clips & Plastic Fasteners Kit Fender Rivet Clips 16 Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set for Toyota GM Ford Honda Acura Chrysler ($14.87)

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Both of those pieces are off all my cars that might have them Corollas Camrys all of those cars included. A little heat shield thing is have always been a pain and don't do anything for me anyway so I leave them off The clips that you can go right to the Toyota dealer in the parts guy at Toyota will bring you one for each hole if you like I don't think there's any discount for buying 10 or anything like that. Amazon if you know what you're looking for in eBay too there are some guys on there selling lots of these import clips and fasteners similar to the dorman products that used to be rampant actually I can walk into advance Auto and go over to the dorman rack and pick off probably three of the clips right now in my little town in North Carolina main thing to me is the size of the hole that I'm pushing the connector into I don't care for all the little things that you have to pull the center out push the piece in through the two pieces and then push the middle piece in again for it to stay I don't really like those I like the things that look like round bristle brushes I buy them for the whole sizes I'm dealing with and push them right in and the discussion they never fall off and they pull off when you want them to so I guess if you were to go four wheeling with the Prius you could get those pieces to come off with mud and grass if you really tried

7. Ryan Will

Ryan Will Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've actually printed a copy of this TSB, specifically the page that shows the undercarriage and the corresponding clips/bolts, etc. and leave a copy in my tool box. Makes it nice to know precisely what goes where, and also the part numbers for ordering the proper clips. I'm fortunate to have several dealers that sell those clips for incredibly cheap, so I rather get those than try for any off Amazon or others.

Also, the parts.toyota.com website is extremely useful in finding all those clips and part numbers for them.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah about 10 years in I started noticing a few of the engine underpanel clips missing a tooth, ordered a complete replacement set (for just that underpanel) through Amayama. I replace them just as needed, and mark the caps with a silver Sharpie X, to keep track of which I've replaced.

Considering I've had that underpanel off at least 30 times now (for 6 monthly oil changes and sundry forays), the fasteners are holding up pretty well. My golden rule is to wash the fasteners out in hot/soapy water before reinstalling, gets the grit out, which I think is the main factor causing them to jam up and break.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    Ryan Will and ColoradoBoo like this.
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Those two pieces in image #2 have different clips IIRC. Go to a dealer and they can help you get them. Keep 1 or 2 spares with the part # for future reference.