1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Losing Air in All Tires!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by john_dough, Jul 26, 2009.

1. john_dough

john_dough New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Yes, I agree. I subsequently dropped psi to 40/38 and noticed leakage over only a two day period. Today, after reading up on the TPMS, I tightened the nuts which hold them to the rim. Each nut was very lose and I tightened them to what felt like a "reasonable" level. (They require 35 inch pounds, but I don't have a torque wrench)---will now observe over the next few days to see if that solved the problem.

2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't you hate it when its your fault. M:Dan that sucks big time.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So, just curious. Do the married guys on the forum routinely blame their wives when things fubar? And if so, are they still married?

4. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I try to blame my wife on a lot of things but women have a way of bouncing things right back without logic attached. Kinda reminds me of the child limmerick, "I am rubber, you are glue....."

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interesting. I asked as almost every married co-worker/peer I have known, ended up separated/divorced once the Blame Game started

6. john_dough

john_dough New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Problem solved---all four tires had loose valve stems, which were tightened, stopping the leak on only three of the tires. One tire also had a small nail in it. The dealer put a plug in the nail hole; this didn't work because the nail was too close to the sidewall. Had to buy a new Integrity tire. All's well at 40/38 psi.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, a loose valve stem core will cause a leak. The tool is under $5, and some stem caps actually include the tool in the tip. I always carry such a tool in my vehicle

My Prius had loose stem cores from the factory, so did my FJ. When I got the winter tires on separate rims for my Prius and my FJ, same damn thing: the tire shop didn't tighten the valve stem core

What's so hard about that?? Once again, if you don't do it yourself, it doesn't get done right

Can't do much about a nail. That just happens

1 person likes this.