1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Losing interest in polar melting

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jan 15, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the past I followed polar ice loss wondering about the mechanism and rates. My curiosity is assuaged:
    • Arctic - Northern landmasses provide the mechanism for relatively fast, temperature exchange both atmospheric and ocean. Every lower latitude cold blast simply pulls warm, moist temperate air up delaying winter freezing and accelerating the seasonal melts.
    • Antarctic - absence of connecting land masses means the circumpolar air and sea currents keep it relatively isolated. However, relatively warmer water is reaching the shores leading to ice shelf breakups and melt.
    So higher King tides are making coastal flooding a thing: Arctic Sea Ice Is Growing Faster Than Before, But There's A Catch

The places that have the greatest chance of seeing high tide flooding are Myrtle Beach and Charleston, South Carolina; Fort Pulaski, Georgia; and Fernandina Beach, Florida.
    . . .
    Flooding from these routine tides has gotten much worse as global sea levels have risen.

NOAA issued a report in June that said rising sea levels and frequent storms set flood records across the country in 2017, and it warned that this year could be worse: "The projected increase in high tide flooding in 2018 may be as much as 60 percent higher across U.S. coastlines as compared to typical flooding about 20 years ago and 100 percent higher than 30 years ago. This is due to long-term sea level rise trends and, in part, by El Nino conditions that may develop later this year."

South Florida cities like Miami and Fort Lauderdale already see nuisance flooding in low-lying areas during high tides on sunny days. A king tide combined with the sea level rise means the water flows further inland.

A study in 2016 that examined flooding in Miami Beach from 1998 to 2013 found that high tide flooding had increased 400 percent after 2006
    . ​

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just give me 20 more years, then you can drown me

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just want to see Mara largo undersea park.

Bob Wilson

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Mar a Lago ... well ... like so much of coastal Florida, it is about a meter up. By end of this century it may be sloshing ankle deep. Bad for membership sales but not quite yet a place to snorkel among colorful fishes.

I could well imagine (and various Antarticists might agree) that 2 or 3 hundred years will give suitable sea levels. And with them, novel snorkeling opportunities around many Floridian sites. Unfortunately there is no strong hope that biotechnology can provide such longevity for Our Bob. Or to anyone yet born without some edited genes*

*Right about the time we cranky oldsters check out, I expect CRISPR and its follow-ons to map this. Bwahaha. Can you imagine how much those 'long ones' will be resented by mainstream humans? Talk about a poopstorm...

==
    Since we are here turning away from SLR (meaning Canute and not cameras) I might as well murder this thread by suggesting that Mar a Lago's highest purpose now is as a drug-smuggly entry point. As such it would require it's own Wall.

So there.