1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The question is/was: Should I put something like Seafoam in my oil.
    No mention was made of how long to leave it.

In MY opinion, it should never be used and any time is too long.
    It is a "cure" in search of a problem.

You are entitled to your opinion just as I am......but you aren't going to convince me that I am "wrong".

In addition to.
    The "seal preservers" represents tried and true technology and it is in high quality oil.
    It will cost virtually nothing to try and is one product that actually "can't hurt".

Just exactly what IS your problem with this anyway?
    I think I suggested all of that other stuff in my post too.

Well MMO is OIL, after all.
    It is not a solvent that is thinner than water.
    If part of your problem was stuck rings, the MMO might have freed them up.

Good luck with long term results.
    Sometimes it holds and sometimes not.

2. yzfrider2001

yzfrider2001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My apologies for offending your sensitivities.

Before knocking seafoam as a "snake oil" as some of you are so quick to do on here, the question should be - have you seen the results? Or just gone on the word of others? As a sealant - no, like I have said before. It does exactly what it is intended for - cleaning, whether that be sludge, buildup, or whatever. Used properly, it will not harm an engine. If it did, then the millions of engines it has been used in would have suffered catastrophic results.

As far as the oil w/ seal preservers in it - if an engine is leaking that much oil over such a low amount of miles, then seal preserver won't help it - even if it theoretically made the seals swell to such overwhelming proportions to make a difference. But, that wouldn't help a faulty gasket, valve, ring, etc. The valves, rings, etc., should be thoroughly checked out - otherwise, the problem will continue.

Now, I will re-ask the questions I did before:
    Is it smoking? If so, on start-up or under accleration? Two different answers.
    How does the coolant look?
    Are there any visible leaks under the engine? A "no" here would suggest internal problems that need to be looked at.
    How are the gaskets? A seal preserver won't help here.
    Rings?
    Valves?

As some on here are so quick to label products as snake oil, oils that supposedly contain seal preservers are nothing more than hope. It is what it is. Either find the cause or continue to live with it.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you're wasting your time, ER loves to argue.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Wrong. ER loves to get the facts straight.......and to distinguish facts from opinion.
    And to point out that many "Internet experts" are just full of crap........and that many marketing claims are just downright lies.

And he has been working on cars for more years than most of you have been alive.

Some additives work for one narrow specific purpose.
    Seafoam was designed as a marine fuel stabilizer. It does a pretty good job of that.

All of the rest of the "recommended" uses are of questionable value.
    Any "old school" mechanic with actual training will tell you that.

And yes, I have seen demonstrations of what happens when you put solvents into the oil of an older vehicle to free up the sludge. Sometimes there is so much of it that it plugs up not only the oil filter but also the oil pump and lines too.......and then the engine burns up from insufficient oil flow.

5. yzfrider2001

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hence the reason the oil is drained and a new filter is added. As you put it in another post, seafoam is a petrolium-based cleaner that thins the oil, correct?

6. yzfrider2001

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A