1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

loss of acceleration & display out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by doorsflyopen, Apr 26, 2017.

1. doorsflyopen

doorsflyopen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi Prius chat friends!

I could really use some help. My 2004 Prius (178k miles) has a few issues. I'm in a tough spot financially and fixing it myself is currently my only option. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Here's the skinny:

The main display only works if the car has been sitting for at least a day. Generally it works for the next 2-3 starts, then everything goes dark except the check engine light. Can't see my speed, gas level, etc. The LCD works, except the trip info /consumption display doesn't show any movement or numbers when the main display is off.

After 15-30 mins of driving, the car slowly decelerates. Flooring the gas will not make it drive faster. I have to pull over, turn the car off for about a minute, and then it drives normally again for another 15-30 mins. I lose power much faster if I'm driving up hill or starting from a complete stop. When this happens the purple bars in the battery display drop down to 1. Does this mean the problem is related to my main battery? Is it possible to diagnose and replace the bad cells individually?

I took the car to autozone and the only codes that came up were related to the mass airflow sensor. I tested the sensor (with a method a found on YouTube) and it failed, so I replaced it. I also added some fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank. This seemed to help the running of the car a little, but I still have the loss of power & display issue. The 12v battery is about 3yrs old & the car always starts so I think it's still good. The car also seems to be using a lot of oil.

Anyone have any insights? Obviously the acceleration problem is my main concern. Thanks in advance!

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Odd, have you tried adjusting the dash lighting level?

The fact that your power/acceleration loss is tied to low HV pack, suggests something is wrong with the Hybrid system. It could be as simple as the electronics overheating, but that would log a fault as would most other hybrid faults.

Many "code readers" do not do a good job of properly interpreting trouble codes for non-emissions systems like those for a hybrid. You indicate the check engine light is on, if you replaced the MAF and the light is still on, there are more faults stored that they did not tell you about. I would start there.

However, you mentioned excessive oil consumption, that can, if due to a worn engine RAPIDLY clog the catalytic converter. when the cat clogs, the exhaust becomes restricted and it's like the engine is running a race but breathing thru a straw - NO GOOD.

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the engine has a mechanical problem, the car could be drawing excessive load from the hybrid battery which may be doing okay (for its age). Do you hear the cooling fan in the back seat?

I agree the Autozone scanner isn't getting a big enough picture. See if you can find someone with a Toyota scanner, or get a Mini VCI cable or phone app. Search here for more info. Mini VCI ($20 plus an old 32-bit laptop) will allow you to scan the individual battery module voltages, internal resistances, and heat sensors.

Your display problem may be a well-known issue with the combination meter. Do a search here and you'll see all sorts of information on it. One DIY fix is to remove it yourself (takes several hours and involves the air bags) and send it in for a $100 repair, as found on eBay. But you're probably right, it's a minor issue now compared to the others.

4. doorsflyopen

doorsflyopen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12 volt battery to start.

6. doorsflyopen

doorsflyopen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes I hear the fan in the backseat - it's loud!

Also the scenario of clogged catalytic converter sounds likely and scary? Previous owner was a kid who did not do a good job of getting oil changes...

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

7. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clean the throttle body and then disconnect the 12 Volt battery for a few minutes to reset everything. These engines are notorious for getting very dirty at the intakes and MAF sensors especially on the oil burners . When it gets bad enough they will act like they are out of gas much like you described. Once the engine stops the car will run for a short time on the hybrid battery until it's drained.

If there's anything wrong with the hybrid system you will get the red triangle on the dash and a small warning in top left of the MFD that looks like a car with and exclamation point. Since you didn't mention either I'm figuring your battery and hybrid system are doing ok.

If your combination meter is failing we sell those thru our website. Most of our customers do their own installs in about an hour. If you need anymore information you can message me.

Matt