1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loss of Dynamic Radar-Controlled Cruise Control: Clean Sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CEnsalata, Dec 4, 2016.

1. CEnsalata

CEnsalata New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sooo... took my brand new 2016 Prius Four with ATP on the highway for it's first long trip yesterday. I live in Vermont, and it was a little bit blustery/rainy yesterday. However, there is no standing snow on the ground yet and no salt, so the roads are no where near what they're going to be in a few months.

Anyway, I lost cruise control! The triangle/exclamation warning popped up with a ding and said "Clean Sensor" and canceled the cruise control. This also happened to mean that my vehicle lost speed very rapidly because we were going uphill, which in and off itself can be a safety concern. This is EXTREMELY frustrating to me, because like I said, the conditions were like a 2/10 in terms of how bad they are going to be, which means I'm virtually never going to be able to use the cruise control in the winter or perhaps not even in summer rain! I had my husband trying to read the manual as I drove to see if there is a way to switch from "dynamic radar-controlled" cruise to just a regular cruise control and forgo the option of using the sensor, but he couldn't find anything.

Please, someone tell me something that is going to make me not completely pissed off at the Toyota corporation and my 13 day old car that I want to put in neutral and push off a cliff right now.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your dealer should help with two things:
    Telling you how to turn OFF the adaptive part of the cruise control and.......
    In checking out the sensors to be sure one of them isn't "bad" or that one of the wheel wells isn't missing a water deflector.

My Ford Fusion does that too......but the conditions have to be VERY bad for it to happen. Like raining so hard that it would be a good idea to get off the road bad.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think this, from the Owner's Manual:

upload_2016-12-4_7-21-1.png

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. CEnsalata

CEnsalata New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey, thanks for that! I had a feeling there was an option, but my husband has little patience with manuals. I was trying all kinds of button configurations, and I know I did hold that button down. But I probably did it when cruise control was on. I will test it and let you know how it goes.

Also, thanks, Sam, for the advice. I will make an appointment if it happens again in mild conditions. It did happen on the way to my destination and wouldn't work for miles. Then later on it worked again, then stopped working. It worked on the way home. So maybe that indicates it is a bad sensor. Or maybe the debris came off in the rain/wind.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd definitely be getting the dealer to check it, as it sounds like a fault. It should work perfectly under those circumstances, I had no trouble recently in very heavy rain, and it's worked fine for 8000km.

I presume your sensor is clean - it's behind the TOYOTA emblem.
    20160627_135001-1 - Copy.jpg

Coast Cruiser and RCO like this.
  6. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That happened to me a few weeks ago, but in very wintery conditions and after an 80-mile drive. I never did figure out where the sensor is, but it cleared itself somehow after being parked for a couple of hours.

Another strange thing is that I realized it wasn't working well before the car told me so. The car just didn't seem to see the slower moving vehicle in fromt of me so I cancelled CC, then when I reset it I got the warning.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clean the Toyota logo on the front of the car. The sensor is behind the logo.

RCO likes this.
  8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. CEnsalata

CEnsalata New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I tried the non-dynamic radar-controlled cruise control. And the instructions do work. It's just the screen shows minimal difference between the two kinds, so you would never know that you were successful unless you were really intentionally trying. In my opinion, it should ding or flash "dynamic cruise control disabled; regular cruise control enabled".

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, it should clearly display the mode! Being in std cruise while you think you're in dynamic, could be disastrous!

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just RTFM. As far as I can tell, with DRCC enabled, there is a vehicle shown in the upper right of the indicator. That vehicle is not there for regular cruise control.
    DRCC upload_2016-12-6_19-34-44.png
    Regular Cruise upload_2016-12-6_19-35-21.png

RCO, wrprice and Coast Cruiser like this.
  12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll have either this:
    upload_2016-12-7_16-46-39.png
    OR this:
    upload_2016-12-7_16-47-14.png

displayed if you've got DRCC functioning.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just checked this morning. The only difference in the display between DRCC & Cruise Control is the lack of the "RADAR READY" text. The Regular Cruise Control light is totally separate light, to the right of the DRCC light.

RCO likes this.