1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loss of power, and stalling

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Dxta, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi people! Its being a while.
    Please I have being having some issues with a Camry hybrid, that was brought to me, some days ago for diagnosis.

History of the car?
    1.I had replaced the pack some months ago, and we've had no issues.
    2. Customer called recently and complained the car was stalling, and losing power intermittently.

What I did, and observations?
    1. Check hybrid system, VSC, and check engine lights were lit on the dashboard.
    2. Scanned the car with tech stream, a d got following codes:

P0012: camshaft timing over retarded
    P0a0f-533
    P0301: cylinder one misfire

Initially i stored freeze frame data, then cleared the codes first.

While starting the car (readying it), you could feel the ICE has already started.

But within a short period of time, say, 5min, the ready light goes off, and everything stalls.

But each time I start the car, it starts with the ready lit on the dashboard.

When test driving it, you tend to feel that lose of power. It can even ascend a hill, and you feel that the car is cruising in electric mode. If you are not careful, and you keep accelerating despite the lose of power, the vehicle suddenly stalls again.

£££££££££
    I have recleared the codes, and only found the p0a0f-533 remaining.
    I have checked the timing of the car, Vvti solenoid switch behind the cylinder head, and its connections (still OK); cleaned the can and crankshaft sensors and installed them; cleaned up the throttle assembly, serviced the duel injectors, replaced end a spark plugs, fixed a new fuel pump, to try solving the P0012 code.

For now that code has gone.

For the p0a0f-533, I have checked the data list on tech stream to see how the block voltages, IR, and SOC, behaves.

€€€€ This was what I noticed while on the data list section:
    I discovered that as the car was on ready, you could see the hybrid SOC discharging from 30%>10%(thus was when the dashboard began to show T. Battery low voltage).

Immediately, I knew I had to stop the car, and get the battery charged up again.

Can some one please help here.
    This is what I'm thinking. Correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

ME: MG1 starts the car, with inputs from the HV battery. To further charge the HV battery, and propelled the car with more power, MG2 takes over(charges and propels the car!).

Since MG2 isn't even helping with charging the pack back, and propelling the car, I'm of the opinion it could be shorted/opened MG2 motor in the transmission?!

Now my conclusion is that, its like that I need another transmission system for the car, since MG2 is embedded in the transmission system.

YOU!: Have you cone across something similar like this, and what did you do to sort this out?
    Pls, it doesn't has to be Camry.
    Prius or highlander hybrid scenarios could help too.
    They still share same THS drive technology.

Thanks guys!

Dxta

#1 Dxta, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles/km on her dx?

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    175, 723km

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, low km's for this type of problem, any back story other than a new battery?