1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loss of Power on Canyon Road!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vintage Pep, Nov 1, 2016.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK - wasn't sure where "So Cal" was?

2. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If the traction battery over heated it would have set off a code! Driving with foot on brake pedal cancel out any attempt to engage the traction motor or ice. but then you was able to drive 18 miles up to 3 bars, backup lights on? sound like there some serious electronic problems! do you drive using right foot gas only and left foot brake ?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP is in Southern California. I'd be surprised if he found snow yet.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Might have been better if you had had it towed. By driving it you might have reset the invisible trouble codes. Grinding noise a bad cooling fan on one of the computer boards cause heat related errors? (do they even have fans?) Grinding or buzzing? Buzzing could be a bad relay.
    There is a thread about a Gen3 going up a hill in New Mexico I think that had power problems do to some bad power IC chips in the inverter/charger over heating. Can't recall if it caused fault codes or not. If the generator motor can't reliably send excess power to the hybrid battery you might have drive issues like you describe.
    Gen 2 inverter cooling pump type problem?
    Have them test the 12 volt battery and charger also. Bad/intermittent 12 volt system can cause some bizarre computer/electrical symptoms.

Problems like you describe are few and far between.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh right. Forgot about that!

SoCal is Southern California (LA, San Diego etc

NorCal is northern Cali (San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento etc)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's makes sense. It's odd that the 2nd vent is not mentioned in the owner's manual.

My 2nd vent is not in the middle, like shown in Alan's photo. Mine is on the far left side. It's long and skinny, and partially obscured by the lip on my rubber floor mat. You wouldn't even know it's there unless you were looking for it.

Vintage Pep's incident, is just another example of why I consider the Prius to be "complicated." Unexplained, weird things, that can only occur with a Prius. :confused: I've had a warning pop up a few times when simply shifting into "D", drive. The car won't move, and one time all the power cut off. I think I saw this on the screen... "!"

dengar100 likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the "2nd" VENT is in different places according to the battery which could be a different shape - mine is NiMH - what's yours?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  8. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Alan. I have the new fancy Lithium-ion battery. But it is supposedly smaller, and located on the right side by the big vent?

We may NEVER know what that 2nd vent is for. :LOL: I try to not keep anything on the floor back there... don't want to block any air flow.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If they didn't find any problems or fixed it! take it back to the dealers ship it was purchase, kindly explaining the problem, and concerns of your safety ! ask them kindly to have their tech or some one to drive it for a week or so , it needs to documented! otherwise just trade it in for something else of your own liking and take the loss but gain a piece of mind!

10. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  11. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One of the fun games my Jeep Commander played with me was the drive by wire throttle going crazy. Intermittently I'd get what sorta looks like a lightening bolt error on the dash and I would lose all throttle control, it'd drop to an idle. I suppose that's better than going wide open but it happened to start occurring 500 miles from home in Utah on a holiday weekend. I finished my trip (stuck to the pavement sadly) and then limped home. Every now and then it would cut out then a second or two later be fine. this got worse and worse, cruise control quit working, then eventually the ABS and traction control systems failed and I got a "service 4x4 system" message. I do get it home without much drama, just the occasional "come on big girl!" When I got home I let it sit over night, started it up the next morning, no issue, hooked up the code scanner, no codes. Drove it for a week, it was fine, next week it started again. Immediately hooked up the scanner got a code about a brake light being out. Confirmed my brake lights were fine but that got me looking at my brake pedal switch. It was a bit dirty, but nothing dramatic, new part was $15 or so. Well I took it out, turns out AutoZone had to order it, so I went home, cleaned up my old part a bit, put it back in.... everything has been fine ever since.

I drove that thing a lot with muddy and dirty shoes. It's like not there was mud on the switch, but just a bit filthy with dust and crud. My theory is the switch was sticky so it wouldn't come out from time to time when I let off the brake. That would throw the drive by wire throttle, brake lights, traction control/abs and awd system into a fit. If you're someone who drives with two feet in a modern car you're probably going to have strange problems.

RCO and aurelio like this.
  12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that the phrase that pays here is: Canyon Road.

If the batts overheat, you're going to throw a code.
    Actually? I thought that forcing the vehicle to go into limp mode would too....but I have an old G3 and it was built before octogenarians started confusing one pedal with another causing SUAs.

OP:
    Do you drive with only your right foot, or do you sneak a left foot into the driving equation every now and then?
    No offense intended, just trying to solve the riddle.

Also: Is this mysterious Canyon Road filled with curves?

RCO and MrMischief like this.
  13. aurelio

aurelio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The lack of error codes is really odd. As MrMischief said, I would check the brake pedal sensor and harness. If there is a problem with it, it would explain the behavior of your car. Brake should override the accelerator in a drive by wire car as the Prius. Try to start the car without pressing the brake pedal. If you can do it just once, take for sure there has to be an issue with the brake pedal.

Nexus 10 ?

14. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    About two weeks after I purchased my car, I ran into a squirrely situation. The battery drained to one bar and would not go into regenerative mode on a steep downhill grade right before I reached town. I did my shopping and everything was fine on the return trip. I haven't given it much thought since because it hasn't happened again. I figure there are a lot of things that I'm not familiar with and if something only happens once or I can find an explanation, I'm okay. If it becomes a standard thing, I'll have it checked out.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The one bar situation can be caused by many actual problems or a true fault. But once you have 1-bar, you will have very minimal battery just as the OP described which all sounds normal for an overheated battery except for when it finally died.

I can say that something similar happened to us a couple months ago. A Lexus RX450h which is essentially the same as a big Prius driving down the road, then the battery discharges, power lags, and within a couple minutes, dead on the road.

Turns out sediment in the gas tank killed the fuel pump and that's what happened. It's one of those problems that is not electrical or common in nature, so the ECUs don't have any idea what's going on to throw the right codes.

RCO likes this.
  16. Vintage Pep

Vintage Pep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive with my right foot and the car was in D.
    But I must say after I lost power to accelerate I attempted a u-turn and got stuck across both lanes. o_O

Again no fault codes when inspected by dealer but they did pull the logs. I've attached them so you can see when I started to roll back I left footed the brake and tried the accelerator as to not hit the brush on the back end.

It's a 2016 got it in March I have just over 27,000miles on it. Oh and here is the route I drove.

I requested a field tech and should get a call back within 48 hrs. I escalated by contacting Toyota North America cust care.

Attached Files:

17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting - ½ dozen "simultaneous brake and accelerator" within 13 minutes - wonder if it's a fault occuring if you only did it once yourself.

Then between 22152 miles and 26504 miles there were 4 "SUDDEN BRAKING HISTORY" and 5 "ABS OPERATION HISTORY" logs. There were none of either of those before 22152 and after 26504 (and during those times there were no logs of "ACCELERATOR POSITION ..."- which, unless your driving style was dramatically different before/after 22152, it indicates the car has been doing something different.

An ABS fault?

Vintage Pep, Coast Cruiser and RCO like this.
  18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HMMMMMM....
    It's starting to smell like a TLA problem rather than a cockpit problem.
    By TLA, I mean Three Letter Acronym. TPS....BPS...ECU....VSS etc.

Since the Prius if fly-by-wire, you have the advantage of some bread crumbs to follow.....but....since the G4 is a FYM (first year model....in keeping with the TLA theme....) you may be out on the sharp end of the stick with a desingn problem.
    New Pintos never caught fire back in the day!
    People had to drive them some until they weren't new anymore.
    If you think that this might be a safety issue (2 child seats in the car?) you may want to loft a report to the NTSB, and inform whatever bureaucratic workers at Toyota Customer (Don't) Care that have you on "ignore" at present that you have done so.
    File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Remember the octogenarians and the SUA reference earlier?
    Well, Toyota had to pay up for that one even though (IMHO) they were COMPLETELY blameless for the SUAs.

I'm thinking that saying "NTSB" at a Toyota dealership is a little like saying "I smell SMOKE!" at a Tesla dealership, or "Hey! The FBI is here!" at a certain unnamed political campaign HQ.

.....really gets their attention!

Good Luck!

pilotgrrl, Vintage Pep, RCO and 3 others like this.
  19. ivan pantin

ivan pantin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

i have the same problem with my Prius 2016, live in Monterrey Mexico, it´s been with the deales for two months and still no answer, it has only 3,000 miles. Was your prius fixed? Please let me know if they gave you a solution, it´s the same problem.

RCO likes this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TWO MONTHS???! I think I would tell them to just keep it!

Or is that post a joke....

RCO likes this.